Which surprising foods spike your bg?

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just discovered that Monin sugarfree syrup spikes me to 14. Yikes! Didn't expect that. Are there any foods that cause you a spike, that you wouldn't expect?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Porridge and honey
But i mine can go to 14mmol-22
However i can get it back down by going for a bike ride for 40min

Hollinequest

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just discovered that Monin sugarfree syrup spikes me to 14. Yikes! Didn't expect that. Are there any foods that cause you a spike, that you wouldn't expect?
Sugar substitutes are as bad as sugar for spiking blood sugar. A small amount of raw sugar or honey does not spike my blood sugar above 8 postprandial on spelt toast. Wheat would spike me to about 13. So for me it's more about surprising foods that don't spike now I know all processed sugar free or low sugar does.
The only low sugar is much less sugar. That's including natural sugars in fruit and veg.

Reactions: Incyb

Hollinequest

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Porridge and honey
But i mine can go to 14mmol-22
However i can get it back down by going for a bike ride for 40min
Try organic oats and local naturally produced honey. I also only use organic unsweetened Soya Milk ( asda or c-op) or Koko coconut milk which don't spike me. I also add a few seeds and nuts and sometimes chia to the porridge to get a better protein balance. If I'm off cycling etc I may include a banana or a few organic raisins.
Some non organic products carry more chemical residues than other others and these can be metabolic disrupters.
I'm a retired biochemist 67 type 2 juvenile onset taking metformin twice daily and food supplement Berberis which works in synergy with the metformin. I was advised I would be on Insulin before I got old but so far so good and it's not hard work just common sense at the moment. Dropping to under 9 stone from under 11 about 15 yrs ago helped massively with BS balance.

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oatmeal. They claim oatmeal has slow carbs, but I don't see that. No matter how I eat them or how much of it.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That is so weird. They do me too but the baby/ tiny shrimp don’t. I just found that odd that large do and baby don’t

Although I wonder if I just didn’t have enough fat in the meal. I always have avocado with the baby
Hm.... I feel an experiment coming up

It’s the king prawns that do it for me, but less so with an avocado. I’ll add more mayo next time and see if that slows it down!

Reactions: Struma

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Everything

Same here, it's easier to list what I can eat!

But in order of severity of spike

Spuds,
Oats,
Wheat,
Other grains,
Milk, anything that has lactose including dairy, but not full fat yoghurt!
Pastries,
Sugar and anything similar,
Cakes,
Rice,

See what I mean!

Food I can't eat that is more than likely low carb because it tastes disgusting.

Sprouts,
Carrots, cooked.
Broccoli,
Cabbage,
Spinach, cooked
Cauliflower,
Swede,
Mostly anything vegetable that is cooked.
But I love salad! (Good job!)

Reactions: karen8967

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here, it's easier to list what I can eat!

But in order of severity of spike

Spuds,
Oats,
Wheat,
Other grains,
Milk, anything that has lactose including dairy, but not full fat yoghurt!
Pastries,
Sugar and anything similar,
Cakes,
Rice,

See what I mean!

Food I can't eat that is more than likely low carb because it tastes disgusting.

Sprouts,
Carrots, cooked.
Broccoli,
Cabbage,
Spinach, cooked
Cauliflower,
Swede,
Mostly anything vegetable that is cooked.
But I love salad! (Good job!)

You forgot fruit - or are you one of the lucky ones? Fruit is very insulinogenic and your condition is one of high insulin I believe?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You forgot fruit - or are you one of the lucky ones? Fruit is very insulinogenic and your condition is one of high insulin I believe?

Yes, I did but it is probably because I eat small amounts throughout the day that my portion of fruits is okay!
It all depends on portion size.
Yes it is highly insulinogenic, and I need to avoid the high initial insulin response.
I can't eat a whole apple, half a small banana, but the likes of strawberries, I can tolerate a few with full fat yoghurt.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prawns are very low fat, so the spikes may be influenced by lack of fat and fibre as shown by the way avocado reduces the spike for @Mel dCP

For me, i get annoyingly weird spikes from gluten even without carbs attached, also buckwheat - which is not a grain and is actually part of the rhubarb family,

I don’t get spikes from artificial sweeteners. That seems to vary hugely from person to person. However, some sweeteners give me headaches, insomnia, raging thirst and water retention. So i only use a couple of sweetener type and limit my use of those.

edited 3x !!! for sneaky little typos that seem to be breeding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum and Incyb

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get any surprising spikes. All my spikes are due to too many carbs or to fruit, none of which surprise me. They are carbs after all. I do get some surprising "non-spikes" though, such as with small portions of potatoes (new, roast, chips) and peas (frozen and homemade mushies)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s the king prawns that do it for me, but less so with an avocado. I’ll add more mayo next time and see if that slows it down!
Yay. Avocado to the rescue?

I don’t really like the big ones. Too rubbery. I like the sweeter smaller ones.

Last time I had tuna sashimi I couldn’t believe the spike but it came down fast. There definitely wasn’t enough fat in the meal. I’m finding drinking some broth with butter on some other fat before a meal helps

Reactions: LooperCat

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Yes, I did but it is probably because I eat small amounts throughout the day that my portion of fruits is okay!
It all depends on portion size.
Yes it is highly insulinogenic, and I need to avoid the high initial insulin response.
I can't eat a whole apple, half a small banana, but the likes of strawberries, I can tolerate a few with full fat yoghurt.
I find that I can eat a small apple with full fat cheese,oh and a glass of red..no spike. Apple on it's own will spike me

Reactions: Ultramum

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't get any surprising spikes. All my spikes are due to too many carbs or to fruit, none of which surprise me. They are carbs after all. I do get some surprising "non-spikes" though, such as with small portions of potatoes (new, roast, chips) and peas (frozen and homemade mushies)
I heard that if peeps want a small portion of potatoes. Reds are the best ones,not so starchy apparently

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bread, honey, jam, fruit, noodles, no big surprises there!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I find that I can eat a small apple with full fat cheese,oh and a glass of red..no spike. Apple on it's own will spike me
The fat in the cheese will help with slowing the glucose conversion down.
The wine just makes you feel happy!
Problem solved!

(Lucky you!)

No cheese or wine, and a slice of apple is all I'm left with! (Ho hum!)

Reactions: Happyhomelands