mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Hi everyone :)

First post so please forgive me if I get something wrong ......

So I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and very very low vitamin d levels Dr have put me on pills for vitamin d and Metformin for the diabetes.

Having read the fantastic information on this forum I have cut all sugar and carbs totally from my diet, my blood sugar has dropped from around 14 at most test to between 4 and 6 now, but I'm stuck. I go back to work on Wednesday working a 12 hour shift 12pm- 12am and I really don't know what to do for food, I don't have a microwave or other cooking facilities but I do have a fridge, and the only option for going out to eat is a spar shop or McDonalds so can any of you lovely people help with ideas for packups that will keep me going for the 12 hour shift and the hour and a half drive home after ??

Thanks in advance folks !!

Matt :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome aboard. Good that you have jumped in and joined us.

Chicken thighs, cold meats, cherry tomatoes, tinned salmon/tuna, eggs, mayonnaise, cheese, nuts, salad leaves, Lidl High Protein roll, full fat yogurt, strawberries/raspberries, double cream, homemade low carb soups in a vacuum flask.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG! Join the night shift club. No microwave makes it harder. I do 12 hr shifts and tend to work consecutive days. My strategy is to make 3 of everything and put it in refrig so I can grab and go. Usually too tired to do anything else between shifts. Bring more than you think you want. You can always take some home.

I don’t mind room temp bacon burgers with mayo &/or mustard. Actually grind the bacon into the beef before grilling.
Tuna, chicken, salmon, egg, or ham salad. Just open can, drain, mix with mayo and eat off fork, celery or lettuce leaf.
I have found a pre-heated thermos works OK for about 5 hrs. I make cream of mushroom soup and add leftover meats to it. Bone broth with corresponding meat and small amt veggies. Any other low carb soup will do.
Salad with meat and creamy dressing: Beef w/blue cheese. Chicken Caesar. packaged salad, throw in meat, add dressing, shake. Often eat out of the bag.
Can use large lettuce leaves to roll up filling.
Ham and/or turkey with cheese rolled together
Salami or pepperoni rolled with cream cheese. If small diameter, just mash together.
Pre cooked bacon. Quick snack or add to something else. I bake 2 lbs at a time and refrigerate
String cheese
Meat sticks, read labels first.
Salted nuts . I fry pecans in butter then add salt. Portion as a snack.
I like pure sucrolose drops to sweeten my coffee with heavy cream
I also bring salt just because I might want it.

I like sweets, so I make Keto cheesecake or fudge aka fat bombs, portioned in freezer, and bring some so I don’t hit vending

You will find tons of recipes but these are easy things to throw together when tired and off to work.

rullfarm

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My emergency Spar or petrol station snack is a Scotch Egg - varies in carbs but way better than a pasty. For when I can plan I cook Tesco 97% pork sausages in bulk and hard boil eggs. I also make mini crustless quiches in muffin tins and they keep for ages in the fridge and are remarkably easy to make. I also have a great bread machine recipe for low carb proper bread for when only a sandwich will do. Also a faux bread recipe that works to make a focaccia. The breads slice and freeze well so you could make in advance.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great advice above on eating, but I wanted to ask you about your Vit D supplements.

Firstly, can I suggest that you check the pack and see if you have been prescribed Vit D3 rather than D2?
A surprising number of docs haven't got a clue that D3 is far better absorbed and used than D2.
Personally, I would shell out my own cash on buying D3 rather than taking some generic prescription D2.

Secondly, did your doc tell you to take vitamin K2 (Not K1) with your vitamin D?
They should have.
Vitamin K2 is a very useful vitamin in many ways, and one of its key functions is to help the body make use of Vitamin D.
Again, I would be buying that myself.

You can find plenty of info on both these pieces of info on the internet, if you need further convincing :) just make sure that you don't confuse K1 (blood clotting) with K2 (general health, anti-cancer and helps with D absorption)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Incyb

Honeyend

I used to work long shifts and just always took way more low carb food than I was ever going to eat.
Chocolate, yoghurt, fruit and seeds in a pot, mixed chopped salad with olives with tuna or egg, Sliced cheese, I crave salt when I am tired so salted nuts or Aldi do some lowish carb snacks.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try putting double cream in your coffee along with some coconut oil and/or butter.

Mark_1

I leave a bag of stuff in the car and take another bag of stuff to put in the fridge. The car has dark chocolate nuts pork scratching protein bars etc stuff that doesn’t go off the other bag cooked meats salad livlife bread and sometimes soups or stews in a thermos.

Reactions: Arlmy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone :)

First post so please forgive me if I get something wrong ......

So I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and very very low vitamin d levels Dr have put me on pills for vitamin d and Metformin for the diabetes.

Having read the fantastic information on this forum I have cut all sugar and carbs totally from my diet, my blood sugar has dropped from around 14 at most test to between 4 and 6 now, but I'm stuck. I go back to work on Wednesday working a 12 hour shift 12pm- 12am and I really don't know what to do for food, I don't have a microwave or other cooking facilities but I do have a fridge, and the only option for going out to eat is a spar shop or McDonalds so can any of you lovely people help with ideas for packups that will keep me going for the 12 hour shift and the hour and a half drive home after ??

Thanks in advance folks !!

Matt :)

Maccy D's should be ok just ditch the bun and don't order the fries.. see if you can get a discount for going bunless.. make friends with the manager and see if they'll do extra patties in a container. I know that burger king are very happy to do bunless but don't give you anything off...Double sausage and egg without the muffin for brekkie too...

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
My emergency Spar or petrol station snack is a Scotch Egg - varies in carbs but way better than a pasty. For when I can plan I cook Tesco 97% pork sausages in bulk and hard boil eggs. I also make mini crustless quiches in muffin tins and they keep for ages in the fridge and are remarkably easy to make. I also have a great bread machine recipe for low carb proper bread for when only a sandwich will do. Also a faux bread recipe that works to make a focaccia. The breads slice and freeze well so you could make in advance.
Thanks for the egg cup/mini quiche reminder. . Just made a dozen and they should be done just before I shower for work. They also freeze well.

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Sorry for the lack of my replies, it has been a crazy ride with foster kids arriving and work,

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'm on my first night at work today big salad and chicken thighs and so far so good :)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

tk123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I regularly eat McD's, I have been GF for 5+ years so just taking the buns off stuff was already low carb. What I try to do it a Mc Double, no bun, extra patty, Tea with cream, and side salad; all of which can be a meal here. Not all McD's have salads I've found though. Watch the dressings as quite a few of them have wheat filler here, which adds to carb content.

Not sure the difference between the UK and CAN burgers, but here there is no fillers in the meat, unlike in the US. Just check the Nutrition info on their website.

My husband works 12 hour shifts, and we just prepare a little extra from supper, and freeze it for his next shift. You just just only make stuff that would be okay cold.

Or, do you have a corner store that has a microwave close by and reheat it there? (7-eleven locations here all have microwaves)

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make sandwiches using cheese slices instead of bread ... Pate, ham, chicken, marmite, peanut butter all make great fillings

Reactions: Rustytypin

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make sandwiches using cheese slices instead of bread ... Pate, ham, chicken, marmite, peanut butter all make great fillings
I hadn't thought of using cheese slices, thanks for that. I'll try that as I'm not too happy with the results I get with lo carb breads. The stuff I make myself is almost inedible!

Reactions: Ultramum