Quorn

LeanneSpain.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has/does anyone on here eat any quorn products. I just heard its not good for diabetic people. Just wondering if it had any impact on you. Tia

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eat it and test, it's the only way to find out if you can.

Reactions: LeanneSpain.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I've eaten it. It's not a problem as long as it is carb counted.

Reactions: LeanneSpain.
D

Deleted Account

Why would you expect Quorn to be “not good”?

Are you referring to the impact on BG? If so, the answer is to test for you as @wiflib says: we are all different.
Then, if it raises your BG (more than you expect from the total number of carbs) it depends on what type of diabetes you have and how you treat it: for type 2, you may decide not to eat it; for type 1, you can take more insulin or take it earlier.

Or does it have some reaction with common diabetes medication?
In which case, it depends on what medication.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I always challenge such advice - and it there isn't some good reason, I then try to check it for myself.
I did look at Quorn products recently, but they were not Quorn made to look like things I might eat, but Quorn processed to be like processed foods - with added carbs.
If I find Quorn as a pure unadulterated foodstuff I might very well try it, but not whilst it is being made 'normal' with carbs.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always challenge such advice - and it there isn't some good reason, I then try to check it for myself.
I did look at Quorn products recently, but they were not Quorn made to look like things I might eat, but Quorn processed to be like processed foods - with added carbs.
If I find Quorn as a pure unadulterated foodstuff I might very well try it, but not whilst it is being made 'normal' with carbs.

4.5 g of carbs per 100g floats most peoples boat doesn't it?

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Totally agree with jcbman, DM is well known for its sensationalism reporting. Quorn is mushroom based. Mushroom is fungi and some people can have adverse reaction, as they can to anything. My daughter is vegetarian and I’ve been cooking with quorn for years, just a bonus it’s also low carb

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 g of carbs per 100g floats most peoples boat doesn't it?
The lowest of the processed foods I found was over 10 percent - for the sausages I think - a lot more than the ones I usually get which are about 1.5 percent.
I'd have bought something to try if it had been lower.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Interesting. I had to laugh when I got to the bit "'We give our data to allergy experts and they have described Quorn as benign as a potato. People can react to any food, but Quorn is exceptionally well tolerated.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4861862/Quorn-s-main-ingredient-MOLD.html#ixzz56rZFZ2Qu
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

waterlily2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The lowest of the processed foods I found was over 10 percent - for the sausages I think - a lot more than the ones I usually get which are about 1.5 percent.
I'd have bought something to try if it had been lower.

Quorn low fat sausages I use are 8.3 g of carbs for 2 sausages, nice for breakfast with scrambled egg. I try to stick to foods that have between 5-10g of carbs

Reactions: Grannypat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quorn low fat sausages I use are 8.3 g of carbs for 2 sausages, nice for breakfast with scrambled egg. I try to stick to foods that have between 5-10g of carbs
Yes, those are the ones, over 10 percent carbs - the ones I get are quite a lot lower in carbs, well below the limit I set for myself.

TTID1882

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Has/does anyone on here eat any quorn products. I just heard its not good for diabetic people. Just wondering if it had any impact on you. Tia

Hope these help
Tracy Type 2 Newbie x

Attachments

• crop_895302376.png
    crop_895302376.png
    400.2 KB · Views: 312
  • crop_887770108.png
    crop_887770108.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 306
  • crop_756410003.png
    crop_756410003.png
    170.4 KB · Views: 302