Seizures

kayla2212

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone I am very new to this so hope I am doing it right my daughter is 8 years old and has been type 1 since 17 months old recently she had and eye exam which she needed eye dilating drops the morning after she had a seizure her bloods were down to 2.8 so they said it was because of this she has been that low before and never had a seizure so why this time it was very scary and I am worried it's gonna happen again has anyone ever had or heard of seizures happening after eye drops before thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
It depends upon what you are deeming as a seizure...

Personally I can act totally different with night/daytime hypos.

Hypos can vary according to how fast levels are dropping... ie if its a gradual slow hypo it is less likely to be a scarey for the individual helping (parent) than if its an overdose of insulin or not enough food and levels are dropping severely.

It depends what you count as a seizure to be honest...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kayla2212 ,

Welcome to the forum.

I've only come close to a seizure nearly 40 years ago. (Back then no meters.)
How was your daughter brought round? Paramedics? Or did you manage by yourself..?

To be fair. Not all hypos are the same? My eyes are a dead giveaway in the early throws but depending on activity (or not.) I can't say they are all dyed in the wool "text book" symptoms for me.. (Not every time.) Though I've never lost consciousness.. Not even at night. Just woke up wrecked...

Sounds like your daughter had dropped lower than the meter was letting on? Just a guess..

kayla2212

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your reply yes we were wondering weather the meter was not showing right but I have never had problems with it before

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has fits when hypos down to about 2.2 (when she was in honeymoon period her body randomly produced insulin as well as what we injected).
She also fitted after her childhood imms (no temperature) which they pit down to an allergy to whooping cough but it happened about an hour after the jab ...we.ve not had eye exams so cant comment on that sorry

Reactions: kayla2212

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply yes we were wondering weather the meter was not showing right but I have never had problems with it before

When I mentioned my thoughts on the meter. Meters take a "snapshot" in time. Upto 20 minutes back? (Due to the blood flow.)
She may have actually been lower at the time of the seizure than the meter read due to the rapid onset of the hypo..?
Some folk panic because they treat a hypo & the test doesn't budge? Because they have tested on the way down, treated the hypo, then caught it on the way back up?

Though having said that. A seizure isn't good..

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may not be helpful but I suffered a seizure once... I think I was about 15 and can’t recall why it happened. I just remember waking up to paramedics in my bedroom and I was then really sick from the glucagon injection. I never really understood why it happened but was just so lucky that my brother heard me thrashing around and woke my parents up. I’ve not noticed a pattern following eye drops to be honest. If your daughter doesn’t have a Libre or Dexcom I’d suggest setting an alarm to take early morning blood glucose reading - it could be that her basal rate needs adjusting if you notice a trend.

kayla2212

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No it's very concerning and frightening but year that makes sense

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never heard anything about seizures and eye drops being related, I will ask my doctor about it. Usually 2.8 is high enough to remain conscious and treat yourself, but perhaps in this case there was a measurement error and her real sugar was lower than that. A quickly dropping blood sugar may also cause it.

Dark Horse

There are different types of dilating drops. One type contains the drug tropicamide and the information from the manufacturer says this regarding overdose:-
Systemic toxicity may occur following topical use, particularly in children, it is manifested by flushing and dryness of the skin, (a rash may be present in children), blurred vision, a rapid and irregular pulse, fever abdominal distention in infants, convulsions and hallucinations and the loss of neuro-muscular co-ordination.
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/8852