English Breakfast?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the carb count like in black pudding? I suppose it varies, but generally, is it OK?

I miss mealie pudding and haggis though: can't get them where I live, but I suppose the carbs probably make them a bit of a no-no anyway
Very variable - you might be able to find a butcher who makes their own.
I get sausages from a local butcher, also a lot of meat - very good meat, excellent sausages.

Reactions: Geordie_P

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
why a Lidl roll. Anything special about them?
Lidl rolls are very low carb and high protein (for a bread product) at roughly 10 carbs per tasty, triangular roll. I find half of a roll very filling so I buy them in bulk, cut them in half and freeze them.
Occasionally I have Burgen bread which is low carb, too, but not quite as low as Lidl rolls.

Shippers

Hey there, I'm just trying to figure out if an English breakfast is a good one for type 2. If you take out the hash browns and just have a tiny portion of baked beans, everything else is low carb, high fat, right? Especially if you use high meat content sausages (mine are 97% pork).

Or is this just wishful thinking?
I have found that breakfast of a top quality sausage or 2 rashers of unsmoked back bacon, mushrooms, a large tomato, 1 egg cooked in a non stick pan with a tiny amount of rapeseed oil brings my blood sugar right down to the 4-5 levels. Just every 2 or 3 days.

slarwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I am using the slimming world diet plan. Full English breakfast are encouraged with the following observations: minimal oil for cooking, sausages from an approved source ie Iceland or there is a downside, bacon medallions with fat come off, as many beans and tinned tomatoes as you want, mushrooms. It however is part of an entire eating plan which doesn't require calorie counting. Using the plan, my wife and I have never felt hungry and have lost 4 stone between us since January.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey there, I'm just trying to figure out if an English breakfast is a good one for type 2. If you take out the hash browns and just have a tiny portion of baked beans, everything else is low carb, high fat, right? Especially if you use high meat content sausages (mine are 97% pork).

Or is this just wishful thinking?
I would think just a very small portion of beans is fine and you can get the reduced sugar ones

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
I am using the slimming world diet plan. Full English breakfast are encouraged with the following observations: minimal oil for cooking, sausages from an approved source ie Iceland or there is a downside, bacon medallions with fat come off, as many beans and tinned tomatoes as you want, mushrooms. It however is part of an entire eating plan which doesn't require calorie counting. Using the plan, my wife and I have never felt hungry and have lost 4 stone between us since January.
Well done to you and your wife pleased SW is working for you

Reactions: slarwood

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hash Browns do not belong in any English breakfast as they are American. I usually have 2 Sausages 2 bacon & scrambled egg for y breakfast. Total Carbs: Suages5.4 & a smidgeon for the butter to scramble the eggs

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Asda do a pork and leek sausage less than 1%carb and cost 2 for 4 £
CAROL

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't cut off the fat - but no beans as even a small amount is just too many carbs in a morning. I would have mushrooms or a tomato.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
What's the carb count like in black pudding? I suppose it varies, but generally, is it OK?

I miss mealie pudding and haggis though: can't get them where I live, but I suppose the carbs probably make them a bit of a no-no anyway
It does depend from brand to brand, as does the flavour. It is clearly marked on the packs I looked at

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hash Browns do not belong in any English breakfast as they are American. I usually have 2 Sausages 2 bacon & scrambled egg for y breakfast. Total Carbs: Suages5.4 & a smidgeon for the butter to scramble the eggs
That's what I was thinking--fried bread, yes; grilled tomato, yes; never noticed a hash brown on my plate in the UK, but then, times change.

Hampshire_Lad

I love my English breakfasts, except I have mine at lunch time rather than breakfast. 3 rashers of grilled bacon, 1 grilled Black Farmer sausage, 1 grilled tomato, masses of mushrooms fried in butter, and a fried egg. I also have half a toasted Lidl roll with butter. I have also recently re-introduced baked beans after eliminating them 3 years ago due to large spikes. One tablespoonful with the other food has made no difference to my post meal readings. The same with or without the beans. I call that a win!

The breakfast you have described here is basically the one my Uncle had day after day at his local greasy spoon (apart from the Lidl roll) and was what the pathologist said at his inquest after his death contributed to the heart attack that killed him.
This is why for me personally the advice to eat fatty foods as part of a low carb high fat diet is proving hard for me to get my head around

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The breakfast you have described here is basically the one my Uncle had day after day at his local greasy spoon (apart from the Lidl roll) and was what the pathologist said at his inquest after his death contributed to the heart attack that killed him.
This is why for me personally the advice to eat fatty foods as part of a low carb high fat diet is proving hard for me to get my head around

Even pathologists can be wrong.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm hoping my meter is functioning correctly.
2 free range eggs and 3 slices of delicious (butchers) bacon. 5.3 to 5.5 two hours later.
Yes, high (ish) calories but I can work that off.
There appears to be light at the end of the dietary tunnel - at least breakfasts.

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm not sure you have to worry so much about calories when you are on a low carb diet.

I'm eating full breakfasts ( low carb). I'm 58 5 ft 8 tall medium build 68 kilo. Stable weight.

I'd just enjoy it if I was you. I don't eat lunch and mainly chicken for Dinner

Reactions: ickihun

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There are hash browns and then there are REAL hash browns, at least here as opposed to the the U.S.

American HBs are just brilliant. Not for T2s regrettably but I lived on them for weeks in the States

They don't have Australian meat pies, their bacon is way inferior, meal servings (as in big) ridiculous