Costa now using coconut milk

Bevz45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had one today and it tasted lovely but I have felt sick ever since. Dont know if it's a coincidence or whether it was the drink!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had one today and it tasted lovely but I have felt sick ever since. Dont know if it's a coincidence or whether it was the drink!
Since I began LCHF I often feel slightly queasy. I'm not sure if the kind of fat makes a difference. I'm hoping my liver will adapt, but I often feel my various organs would much prefer me simply to starve to death.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Where possible and when out I get Sainsbury's black filter coffee. 17 cals only.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
Well I do eat coconut flesh and found out it wasn’t good for me.

BertSmyth1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I tried a coconut milk latte,my numbers were ok after. I usually just get a soya latte with a little bit of pouring cream that's a treat for me

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I treated myself to the Costa coconut milk coffee. It was a filter coffee with cocunut milk added. I was somewhat underwhelmed. Prefer the strong balck coffee.
Though apparently they offer coconut milk coffee that has squirty cream and chocolate shavings on top. With a slice of cake on the side. I swerved that one.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Worth knowing about coconut milk - I went in Costa in Ludlow today and luckily had read the thread as would have been t3mpted by coconut milk but doing intermittent fasting so could only have double cream...so askedfor an Americano and queried double cream @vailability and surprise no fuss they provided a jug of double cream for same cost as Americano so my advice is ask at your Costa! It was a life saver today as was feeling hungry and didn’t want to break my fast!

Agree. Costa are always happy to give me a small jug of cream for my tea in place of milk. They sometimes express surprise, but I still get it!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip. Please does anyone else have ideas for places to get tea/coffee with double cream? I am consuming very few carbs, so this really matters to me. I don't like black tea or coffee, so have been obliged to carry cream with me on outings with my daughter, which inevitably take us into a teashop at least twice a day. I have bought some UHT single cream cartons at great expense on the internet, but they are so small it takes 3 or 4 to colour my drink satisfactorily. Before that I tried carrying a small container of fresh double cream with me. Well, you know what you get when you shake double cream about for long enough? I know it's very on-trend, but I haven't yet taken to putting butter in my hot drinks!

Cafe Nero, as well as Costa seem to consistently have cream available. Pret is much more hit and miss as are the independent chains = they usually have an array of ‘alternatives’ but I don’t often find that cream is one of them.

I found a very handy flask from Lakeland that I use for carrying cream around if out for the whole day - keeps cool for 12 hours. Just looked it up to link and see it’s no longer available, but you might find something similar. The small size is ideal:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/71847/Lakeland-Keep-Cool-Flask

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ask for it as "pouring cream" at Costa. Great with an americano over ice in the summer but always ask for it with 'no syrup' as they automatically add sugar syrup to their cold drinks!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found a very handy flask from Lakeland that I use for carrying cream around if out for the whole day - keeps cool for 12 hour
Very interesting! I had assumed that it was the shaking around in my rucsac as I walked that caused the cream to start transforming into butter, but you find the temperature is critical? When you are out for the day, does your flask of cream get shaken a lot, or does it mostly glide along in a limousine?? I don't want to make the effort to track down a flask and then find that my cream still won't keep in it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting! I had assumed that it was the shaking around in my rucsac as I walked that caused the cream to start transforming into butter, but you find the temperature is critical? When you are out for the day, does your flask of cream get shaken a lot, or does it mostly glide along in a limousine?? I don't want to make the effort to track down a flask and then find that my cream still won't keep in it.

I think it’s the temperature. I walk about a lot, so the flask does get shaken.

What’s a limousine? :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it’s the temperature. I walk about a lot, so the flask does get shaken.

What’s a limousine? :)
You don't have a limousine? (Neither do I, actually. Walking is so much healthier, and pleasanter.)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I went into a local Coffee #1 which was advertising coconut milk as an alternative. When I collected it I asked to see te container. It was rice milk with coconut flavouring. And with double the carbs of skimmed milk it did me no good.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went into a local Coffee #1 which was advertising coconut milk as an alternative. When I collected it I asked to see te container. It was rice milk with coconut flavouring. And with double the carbs of skimmed milk it did me no good.
We need an emoji for "shock horror!" or "the b*****ds!"

Edited by a Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me if a skinny latte at Costa is o.k to drink. Does it contain carbs. Does it raise BG levels.
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone tell me if a skinny latte at Costa is o.k to drink. Does it contain carbs. Does it raise BG levels.
Thanks
Yes it has milk which has carbs.. skinny milk has more carbs than full fat. Depending on size it has between 9g and 20g of carbs from the milk content.
Costa-ANI-data-January-2018.pdf
nutritional info here ...coffees come after the food.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, too bad, it was my favourite. Oh well, I'll have to stick with coffee and cream unless someone can advise an alternative.

Reactions: nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, too bad, it was my favourite. Oh well, I'll have to stick with coffee and cream unless someone can advise an alternative.
@mazza 2 I frequently drive up and down the motorway armed with a pot of double cream. I just order the generic black coffee and add my own cream. It actually makes them taste nice...

Reactions: Speedbird

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Since I began LCHF I often feel slightly queasy. I'm not sure if the kind of fat makes a difference. I'm hoping my liver will adapt, but I often feel my various organs would much prefer me simply to starve to death.
I often feel the same. I liken it to my body receiving something other than the carbs it's been used to and going "***?", (why this fat?) and then dealing with it. It comes on soon after eating but isn't long lasting. I make it into a positive because I feel better that way.