Medtronic 640G or Accu chek insight pump

Meggy96

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could have any feedback on the Medtronic 640g or the Accu Chek insight pump.

I am (fingers crossed) swapping over to a pump in a few months! My nurses have told me to research these both, which is why I think here is the best place to ask!
The company websites I feel are good but don’t mention the good and the bad points.

Reactions: porl69

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use a Medtronic pump, and find it easy to use and the ordering of the supplies is easy enough. setting up the pump for your Basal rates is a bit complicated (I found, but I'm a bit techno thick) but the nurses are brilliant for help. I have had no problems with it at all (3 years and counting), easy to use and link to your meter as well.
Hope this helps, and good luck with which ever pump you choose.

Reactions: Emile_the_rat

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The Insight has developed a bit of a bad reputation amongst many due to issues with its handset. Having said that, there's now development going on to link it to Android APS that would eliminate the need to use the handset.

The other point about the Insight is that it only uses Novorapid cartridges, so if you use another insulin you'll have to change.

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The insight has a handset so you dont need to fish out for your pump if it tucked away. I personally haven't had a problem with the pump and ive been on it for 4 months and i love it!! The set changes are really easy and quick as you dont need to fill insulin carts as they are prefilled novorapid carts but if you use other insulin other than novorapid you would need to self fill

Reactions: Meggy96

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Insight has developed a bit of a bad reputation amongst many due to issues with its handset. Having said that, there's now development going on to link it to Android APS that would eliminate the need to use the handset.

The other point about the Insight is that it only uses Novorapid cartridges, so if you use another insulin you'll have to change.
hi is there an article or thread that talk about the development of the link to android aps to insight?! i would really like to know more and have a read of that

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
hi is there an article or thread that talk about the development of the link to android aps to insight?! i would really like to know more and have a read of that
Not yet. It's a fork of the AndroidAPS code where someone has started to develop it.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have Medtronic 640g and although I have only had it for 3 weeks there is no way you could get it off me. The menus are easy to use, reservoir and tubing changes are simple

Covfather87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been on my Medtronic 640G now since October, like the previous post Its a god send. Its.easier to use you just need to be confident with yourself there are some negatives like all pumps, sitting on toilet is a bit of a pain because mine is iny trouser pocket, wish it connected to a mobile app so it's easier to view data etc.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans

it can also use fiasp aswell now

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Meggy96, I've been using Medtronic pumps for 5 years and find the 640g very easy to use. My DSN set it up originally and I've made minor adjustments. It is a bit bulkier than the previous pump I was using, I mostly clip mine onto the middle section of my bra. I wouldn't go back to MDI. Good luck.

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Medtronic pump has been good for me for over five years. I wear a sports jogging belt to put the pump in. The pump is waterproof. It has an insulin suspend function if you link it to a cgm when your blood glucose gets too low. It has a remote bolus function using the blood testing Contour Next Link which comes with the pump so you can hide the pump away if you need to.
Hope you enjoy pumping whichever pump you choose.

Racy Tracy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic pump has been good for me for over five years. I wear a sports jogging belt to put the pump in. The pump is waterproof. It has an insulin suspend function if you link it to a cgm when your blood glucose gets too low. It has a remote bolus function using the blood testing Contour Next Link which comes with the pump so you can hide the pump away if you need to.
Do you swim with your Medtronic 640g?

F Wicks

it can also use fiasp aswell now
Hi, I know this thread is over a year old now but in the same boat as the original poster. Each pump has some of the feature that I’m after but neither has all. Lol. I was told then Insight couldn’t take Fiasp and the was no way around this - so this was one of its ‘down sides’ for me. But I see poster above states that it can. Can someone verify how this is done please? As this would be a big pro for the Insight for me. Cheers