EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi, hopefully in the next year or so I should be going to Japan. Specifically Tokyo. I was just wondering if anybody had been through the security there with a diabetes kit?
Tokyo's fine for people with needles/pens and testing equipment, though I'm not a pump user so I can't advise on that. It never hurts to have some sort of letter from your doctor or clinic saying what meds you're on and you're diabetic, if only so that you can easily get replacements if the worst comes to the worst when you're overseas. (Though I've been lax on that for the last few years and on the one occasion I was asked made do with a UK British diabetic association membership card and/or an Australian NDSS membership card!).

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I'm in Australia. I walked through domestic airport security with an enlite sensor and Medtronic 640g. Not even a blip. I'm really concerned. If you get that through without an issue, what can get through security that shouldn't. I have previously had insulin pens and the Drs letter confiscated by domestic security, I doubt the security gorilla could read the Drs letter. Moral of the story is it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I would be devastated if they confiscated my pump.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just had a couple of recent experiences.

I don't declare having sharp objects as it'd probably mean some form needs to be filled in, and given that perhaps 1 in 100 people will be carrying needles and tens of thousands of people pass through security each day, it won't be uncommon for them to see them on x-rays and be relaxed. And with tiny modern needles unless you were going to stab someone 4,000 times with them they would not make much of a weapon!

But on the way out of London, my hand luggage got stopped. The guy asked me if I had anything sharp inside and I said yes and explained, and he said he could also see the number of pens I had. He said reason bag was stopped was actually that while I had taken iPad out of bag, i'd then put it under bag so it had to be x-rayed again. But all fine.

Coming back through Geneva, I pinged the body metal detector, when the guy did the body touch search he felt my Dexcom sensor on my arm, so I then had to wait for a couple of minutes in full view before going behind closed curtain area where i rolled up my sleeve and showed him. His English not great, but he understood after a minute or so.

A further small annoyance that we encounter as T1s, but not end of the world.

D

Deleted Account

Oh no, is it a big big problem? I've never flown before and we're hoping to go on our honeymoon later this year. I didn't know whether to go back on injections for the week. I've visions of being held against my will and interrogated by security staff...
I have had a pump for just over 2 years and flown between 15 and 20 times since I got it.
With one exception, I have always been treated well at airports in UK, America, Europe, Caribbean, ... where they recognise it and know what to do.
I just make sure I don't put my pump through the x-ray and calmly highlight it if I set off any alerts.

Don't be put off taking your pump with you on your honeymoon (advanced congratulations on your wedding). I don't know how long you have had it but when there is so much excitement going on (wedding, honeymoon, etc.), trying to remember injection doses and basal times could add unnecessary stress.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In US we can carry on little scissors, little pocket knives, wine corkscrews (they did confiscate mine once though), I never had trouble with needles or insulin vials (they are only 10CC). They confiscated a Tootsie Roll Pop I forgot to take out of my pocket once though! Sometimes I wonder how many TSA people it takes to make a halfwit lol.

Last edited:

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh, what is anyone gonna do with a needle anyway. At least the ones I have are tiny.