Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been waiting eagerly to post here, finally getting results today.

7.2%

I’ve not been a “good” T1 and haven’t had a test since 2016. With my new found love of LCHF and Libre, I’m energised. Before getting too far in I wanted to get the blood work done.

Now the result isn’t brilliant but it’s better than the previous three results this GP has which were all 7.5%

The absolute best part of my day was getting the congratulations of my GP and enthusiasm for my diet choices and paying the big bucks for the Libre. I wish everyone here could get such positive vibes from a GP. He could very easily have turned it all the other way.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve been waiting eagerly to post here, finally getting results today.

7.2%

I’ve not been a “good” T1 and haven’t had a test since 2016. With my new found love of LCHF and Libre, I’m energised. Before getting too far in I wanted to get the blood work done.

Now the result isn’t brilliant but it’s better than the previous three results this GP has which were all 7.5%

The absolute best part of my day was getting the congratulations of my GP and enthusiasm for my diet choices and paying the big bucks for the Libre. I wish everyone here could get such positive vibes from a GP. He could very easily have turned it all the other way.
Support from clinicians is vital, so I'm glad you have that. And well done for your hard work!

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

HbA1c is also measured in mmols but if yours was 7.1 you'd be dead as it's far too low for survival :) the blood sugar tests on our meters are measured in mmol/l and the HbA1c in mmol/mol. If you mean your HbA1c was 7.1% then you're bang on target. Check out the converters on this site. Mine was 9.3%, or 78 mmols/mol.
Hi everyone,
My HbA1c Levels are generally in the range 6.9% to 7.2%.

Why do I comment? Reason is my diabetologist here in Germany considers 7.1% a good level and has specifically warned about allowing it to go lower, consequent to a high number of night time hypos (the worst time!) over a number of months last year.

I now use a Dexcom G5 CGM device, provided at almost no expense to myself through the AOK German health insurance scheme, and the conclusion Ihave come to is that for anyone with fluctuating blood glucose levels, this CGMdevice is a life saver.

No more hypos, rare blood glucose levels higher than 150 (here we use the widely used measure and not mmol measures).

I highly recommend a CGM device, although the weekly sensor changeover is at times not a simple procedure, but this will surely be resolved as more units are made available or are more normal.

I would be delighted to discuss this topic further.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a new test this afternoon which came out as 5.5 which is up on my last test which was 5.3 so I was a bit disappointed. The only explanation I can find for this is that I have "relaxed" my eating habits a bit and put on weight :thumbdown: This has given me new willpower to be more strict with myself and lose this weight. :clap:
Hello Daisy,
You think this is a good result and I wish I could agree with you. My diabetologist considers any level under 6.8% dangerously low. He recommends a reading in the region of 7.0% to. 7.6%, probably because last year I suffered from frequent night time hypos which.were caused by too high doses of Levemir insulin taken just before bedtime ( 11.pm) in order to avoid very high BG levels the following morning.

In the end, we went for a CGM device (in my case the Dexcom G5) which is a life saver for me and for my dear wife, who no longer has the thankless task of having to administer Glucagon injections at all times of night.

Let’s continue this discussion when you have had a moment to digest this post.

Best wishes to you

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not been on the Forum for a while. Disappointed that mine is 66 (8.2) when it was 53 (7.0) in May. Blood pressure is causing issues, gaining weight, and generally unwell. Need to get back on track so today I start again.....
So I went to my Diabetic Clinic check last Wednesday.

HbA1c down to 52 (6.9)
Blood Pressure 138/79
Cholesterol 3.1
Lost 5.5kgs

So all good and feeling much more positive about things now.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
37 or 5.5%, down from 38 six months ago.

Happy with that and very grateful to Dexcom for their help in this!

Peterinkiel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.4% for my 7 year old daughter yesterday, we’re delighted.
Hi,
Glad to see you are using the percentage values commonly used in most European countries and not the fixed values which predominate in posts from UK residents. Well done!

Keep up the good work!
My value is 7.1%, for a T1 diabetic of 72 years.
Greetings from Kiel, Germany

stewpid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Glad to see you are using the percentage values commonly used in most European countries and not the fixed values which predominate in posts from UK residents. Well done!

Keep up the good work!
My value is 7.1%, for a T1 diabetic of 72 years.
Greetings from Kiel, Germany

I agree it is confusing sometimes when people quote different measures of HbA1c, so I try now to quote both measures.

The conversion is pretty simple too. So my last result was 53, which converts to (53+24) / 11 = 7.0%

Raj2512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was disgnosed 4 months back at 14% (does it go any higher than this?).

Since then have made serious efforts to stay on natural foods and count my carbs. Last month the Hba1c was 7.4% which my GP is quite happy about and gave me a target of no less than 7% though am not sure about it.

Have incorporated yoga into my daily routine and my BG seems to be much more in control now.

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
6.2% earlier this month, down steadily from 7.1% this time last year. The reduction is due to eating a keto diet and increased exercise. Never felt better, stable BG almost all of the time, aiming for 5.5% within the next 12 months.

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Daisy,
You think this is a good result and I wish I could agree with you. My diabetologist considers any level under 6.8% dangerously low. He recommends a reading in the region of 7.0% to. 7.6%, probably because last year I suffered from frequent night time hypos which.were caused by too high doses of Levemir insulin taken just before bedtime ( 11.pm) in order to avoid very high BG levels the following morning.

In the end, we went for a CGM device (in my case the Dexcom G5) which is a life saver for me and for my dear wife, who no longer has the thankless task of having to administer Glucagon injections at all times of night.

Let’s continue this discussion when you have had a moment to digest this post.

Best wishes to you

I think that Daisy's results are a great achievement.

Comparing a T1 and T2's HbA1c results in this way is meaningless. Daisy won't have any of the hypo concerns that you or I have as T1's, and has achieved an HbA1c in the non-diabetic range which is exactly what any T2 should be aiming for. To say that this is dangerous is simply not true.

An HbA1c of 5.3% or 5.5% may be dangerous level for you to aim for and it makes sense that if you are having trouble controlling hypo's your medical team would err on the side of caution, however that does not make it an unrealistic aim for other diabetics, regardless of the type.

My current HbA1c is 6.2% which I am happy with however I am aiming for it to be 5.5%. As an active T1 following a keto diet, I require a low dose of insulin and am able to maintain a very narrow range of BG readings. Therefore averaging a BG of 6.2mmol/L or 112mg/dl (which is what an HbA1c or 5.5% translates to) is perfectly reasonable and possible in a safe manner.

A good HbA1c should not be as a result of hypo's, however if a non-diabetic HbA1c can be achieved whilst keeping hypo's to a minimum, why wouldn't you do it? There is no downside.

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
HBA1c 48 mmol/m think 6.5% down from 51 in dec

Last edited:
Reactions: gemma_T1

wildtoast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HbA1c (bloods taken while in hospital at diagnosis, got the result at my first DSN appt) was 111! That's the second highest I'd ever seen until viewing this forum and I review diabetics all the time at work! Hopefully it will come down a fair bit at my next one now I'm on the insulin and getting readings in range. Still feeling rubbish when my readings are in range though - the headaches are intense! No idea how long this is going to last for but I hope it packs in soon.

Reactions: mountaintom

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
My most recent was, unfortunately, >14%.
However, since then (it was a while ago), I've come out of DKA and I've taken serious care of myself. According to my MySugar (the app I use to track my glucose levels) my next hba1c will be around 6!

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My most recent was, unfortunately, >14%.
However, since then (it was a while ago), I've come out of DKA and I've taken serious care of myself. According to my MySugar (the app I use to track my glucose levels) my next hba1c will be around 6!

That’s an awesome job you’ve done to bring it down.

Don’t be disheartened if what the app tells you isn’t quite the reality. Unless you’re measuring every five minutes it’s really not going to be a great prediction. I’ve learnt that the hard way!! Your body’s response to storing carbs/glucose and any number of other variables also comes into it.

I certainly hope you get a number 6 - good luck for your next test.

Fatima_94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
46, which i was happy with until i realised it's 7.4.. the diabetes team keep telling me how good it is but it could do with improvement

Reactions: gemma_T1