Skipping breakfast

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I work in the district and have to be up early around 6.30 I take thyroid meds at this time I take them on an empty stomach and then have to leave the house my hours have recently changed so I don't get a break until around 1.30 - 2 ish what are the implications of waiting for food all that time I sort of need to explain it in such a way that my employer knows I need a break inbetween I am on sr metformin

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I switched taking my Thyroxine to last thing at night and found it more effective. I mentioned it to someone else and they started to do the same with the same small increase in their levels - I think it is simply absorbed better overnight.
My BG levels are not as good if I fast so I eat morning and evening at almost 10 hours separation.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as Type 2 on Metformin only is concerned there is no need to eat breakfast. Many of us skip breakfast deliberately as part of a fasting routine. I eat my last meal of the day at 7pm then nothing at all until about 1-15pm the next day (except a coffee with cream when I wake up and a drink of tea mid morning) In other words I do all my eating in a short window of around 6 or 7 hours and fast for the rest. I do find it necessary to have the coffee and cream as soon as I wake to stop my liver dumping glucose during the morning.

If fasting this way doesn't float your boat, you could always have a hard boiled egg or piece of cheese or something - they take seconds to get out of the fridge, and seconds to eat.

Metformin needs to be taken with food.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I usually take my metformin at 9am with breakfast and then the other at 6pm the hours now have changed and I struggle with metformin anyway so I do t want to take it on an empty stomach

JolyonKay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
slimming
I take my first metformin with breakfast at 8am, and then a second with lunch at 1pm. Does that sound right?

Lorraine G

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take thyroid meds as soon as I wake. I then get ready for work and get to office about 45 mins later where I eat my breakfast and take metformin. I then take a small snack at bed time and take metformin then does this sound alright?