Time between tablets

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Just a quick question from a Metformin Newbie.

I'm prescribed Metformin (500mg) three times daily, with food or a meal. What I don't know is do I have to take them equal times apart (every 8 hours) or is it not too critical as long as I leave a sensible time between taking them? Obviously I don't take all 3 at once, but I have one with breakfast, another at lunch time (about 4 to 5 hours later) then another at night about 6 hours later. There is then a gap of about 10 to 12 hours over night whilst I'm sleeping etc.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Metformin 500mg x 3 per day. I was taking it the same way you do, but my GP suggested taking two with breakfast and one with dinner, he vaguely said it would work better that way, so that’s what I do. However I’ve learned from here it’s not really that crucial as it’s effect isn’t immediately, it’s more a build up in your system type drug.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting. I am in the process of increasing the tablets every three days until I am on 4 tablets.

They are the slow release. The DN told me to take them after food at teatime. I am on 2 at the moment.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking ordinary Metformin (in the first 3 months after diagnosis) I often used to take all 3 in one go without food, usually at bed time when I realised I had forgotten to take them during the day as prescribed.

Did me no harm, but I wouldn't recommend going against your GP's prescription.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am on three per day. My DN said one at breakfast and two at evening meal. This suits me as I only have two meals per day. As has been said, Metformin has a cumulative effect so the timings do not have to be as strict as one might suppose.

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take x 2 Metformin 500mg with breakfast and x 2 with evening meal but I also take gliclazide 80mg x2 in am and x1 in evening and my bs is still in late twenty’s. I believe 2000mg is max dose of Metformin daily.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting. I am in the process of increasing the tablets every three days until I am on 4 tablets.

They are the slow release. The DN told me to take them after food at teatime. I am on 2 at the moment.

Hi there - Slow release does tend to be taken once a day, so I'd say if that's working for you and your tummy isn't grumbling about it, it keeps it nice and simple.

Reactions: xfieldok

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Thank you all for the advice. As I said I'm new to all of this, so its a learning curve for me

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there - Slow release does tend to be taken once a day, so I'd say if that's working for you and your tummy isn't grumbling about it, it keeps it nice and simple.
That’s interesting, I haven’t seen the GP since switching to SR, so I might try taking both pills in the evening and see if it helps with my gut during the day as I get IBS type pains.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s interesting, I haven’t seen the GP since switching to SR, so I might try taking both pills in the evening and see if it helps with my gut during the day as I get IBS type pains.

To be honest, the best thing to do is either look on the Patient Info Leaflet in the box, or look up your specific brand on the web. Dosing instructions will be included there.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It depends on:
type of metformin: Standard or Slow Release
how well you presonally tolerate this wrt the most common side effects.

I am on Metformin SR and have been told to take 2x1000Mg tablets with eveing meal - as it does not matter on specific timing.
( actually take it first thing in morning with all my other pills for hypertension + vitamans as that improves the chances I will actually take them)

Standard metformin has a more rapid active-decay cycle and may be better taken before/with meals as a consequence.

It is up to you - but get advice from your GP /DSN/Pharmacist

rgs2502

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Well I’m on day 3 of taking both pills in the evening. Day 1 was not a success, horrible gut pains and diahorrea, but it seems to be easing and hopefully it will improve with more days.

Reactions: Rachox

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was taking 2 Metformin slow release I was told to take them both with my evening meal. But I've read that the SR version doesn't always last the full 24 hours, so ended up with one tablet in the morning and one in the evening. (This isn;t where I actually found the information but basically she says the same thing: http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.co.uk/2010/06/timing-your-metformin-dose.html

It didn't seem to make any difference either way, but psychologicaly I felt better covered!

I would have thought for avoiding any stomach, etc issues with standard Metformin that it would be better to spread the tablets over different meals, but it's best to either follow the dosage instructions on your prescription, read the inormation leaflet, or talk to your pharmacist or GP if you're uncertain as there may be a good reason for what you've been told.

Robbity