Testing Problems

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
A long time ago my surgery stopped issueing prescriptions for test strips and lancets for my type 2. I can no longer afford to purchase these items.
Two weeks ago I had annual review. Blood was 55 = 7.5/7.6
I currentley take 2x500 Metformin twice daily alonh with 100mg Levothyroxine for under active thyroid and 80mg perindopril for high blood pressure.
I feel fine on this medication. Nurse now wants to add Linagliptin and said I should reduce blood readings to 38-54 immediately. I do not think these readings warrant such drastic measurements. Especially qhen i cannot have sfrips and lancets.
Do I jave to take the drugs prescribed by the surgery?
Embeze

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Doctors can only advise. They can't compel you.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Membrew, are you able to talk to your Doc or the Nurse and they will listen? Like give you three months to see if your diet changes would make a difference before going on the med? As you may have read on the Forum already, there are many, many people who do great controlling their diabetes with a low carb high fat mod protein diet.....loads of info to use.....So, maybe it's worth a try to see if you can adjust your diet, get a little more activity in your day to day life and have another A1c in three months time. If she thinks it should be at 54 max and you are 55, not much difference, really. Blessings/L

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A long time ago my surgery stopped issueing prescriptions for test strips and lancets for my type 2. I can no longer afford to purchase these items.
Two weeks ago I had annual review. Blood was 55 = 7.5/7.6
I currentley take 2x500 Metformin twice daily alonh with 100mg Levothyroxine for under active thyroid and 80mg perindopril for high blood pressure.
I feel fine on this medication. Nurse now wants to add Linagliptin and said I should reduce blood readings to 38-54 immediately. I do not think these readings warrant such drastic measurements. Especially qhen i cannot have sfrips and lancets.
Do I jave to take the drugs prescribed by the surgery?
Embeze
I would insist on the test strips/Lancets or change my doctor, you obviously need them. The meds they're suggesting aren't necessary if you eat the right food and the only way you can work exactly what you can eat is by testing. Testing after every meal at first then as you get to know what you can and can't eat and you get your bloods under control you can slacken off a bit on the testing.

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
Thank you for your messages. They are appreciated. I have finally managed to gain an appointment with my own Doctor on 27th February so will chat to her and see what she has to say. Once again I will also ask for test strips and lancets to be able to monitor my progress rather a once a year 5 minute chat with a nurse who's attitude is do as I say not as you think.
It has been suggested that I take it to Leeds NHS who unfortunately control our area if I am not provided with the rerasonable assistance to monitor myself.
I will keep you informed after 27th. Thank you again. Appreciated.
Membrew