Oh no on a low residue diet

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
After having a partial small intestine blockage the doctor has put me on a low residue diet and I don’t know what to eat ☹️

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I had tomato and basil soup for dinner and I can’t get to sleep due to cramping and nausea.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Last edited:

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Surely Your Doctor or Hospital Dieticean should be the ones to ask. Try this Link https://www.webmd.com/ibd-crohns-disease/low-residue-diet-foods#1 or https://gi.md/resources/low-residue-diet
I would deal with your intestinal problems first presuming it is a temporary diet even if it is not a good diet for diabetesband then go back to concentrating on diabetes if however it is a permanent thing then find a good Dietician for advice and help

I’m seeing the Dietitian on the 25th of this month. My fasting bs have jumped to 10 on this low residue diet.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure you write down all the points you want answered Its easy to forget them until you have left also don't leave until you understand the answers its your Health not theirs.

Reactions: Lorraine deer

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I was on a low residue diet prior to surgery for bowel cancer. I was told that if it grows above the ground I couldn't eat it (cabbage, sprouts etc) but if it grew below the ground I could - carrots, turnips etc.

It's just low fibre, low roughage so things like baked beans (hi fibre) are out, but meat is OK.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
I was on a low residue diet prior to surgery for bowel cancer. I was told that if it grows above the ground I couldn't eat it (cabbage, sprouts etc) but if it grew below the ground I could - carrots, turnips etc.

It's just low fibre, low roughage so things like baked beans (hi fibre) are out, but meat is OK.

Thank you and I hope you are well now after your surgery .

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Sound like opposite advise to Low Carb Diet

Wraakian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Loud, bawdy people and over muscled macho men out to prove they're tougher than everyone else or with bad attitudes, mobile phones being used whilst driving, unfair VAT and tax.
Yep! It isn't easy. I had recently been put on both basal and fast acting insulin but now am trying to come off the fast acting insulin by increasing my night time basal insulin to lower my early morning fasting glucose reading and keeping to a mostly NO CARB diet that is also good for the low residue diet I've been given for my intestinal problem and my usual metfornin tablets. Although early days this seems to be working as my mmol this morning was 5.1 and after 3 no carb meals it has remained under 8. A lot more proof needed yet but I believe this is a step in the right direction! Going on holiday with lots of insulin was a nightmare through customs so only taking the basal and a few tablets away with me next time would be much better.

Juso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep! It isn't easy. I had recently been put on both basal and fast acting insulin but now am trying to come off the fast acting insulin by increasing my night time basal insulin to lower my early morning fasting glucose reading and keeping to a mostly NO CARB diet that is also good for the low residue diet I've been given for my intestinal problem and my usual metfornin tablets. Although early days this seems to be working as my mmol this morning was 5.1 and after 3 no carb meals it has remained under 8. A lot more proof needed yet but I believe this is a step in the right direction! Going on holiday with lots of insulin was a nightmare through customs so only taking the basal and a few tablets away with me next time would be much better.

I suffered an intestinal blockage in June due to an abdominal hernia and was in hospital for a few days. I was given a low residue diet sheet by the nurses. When I saw my consultant I told him this diet was the opposite to my diabetic diet and he said to ignore it and eat my usual diet, which I did and luckily have had no further problems.