VICTOZA users

norried

Re: VICTOZA

happy new year guys

just a wee update.

on victoza day 5 so far no bad side affects ( appetite has dwindled but not a bad one), after reading the comments about it i have been carefull not to over eat so maybe fore armed is fore warned.

on the meds side have reduced glic from 4 tabs a day to 2 and cut out my junovia completely. but the 1000mg metformin mr is a bit of a beast to neck lol.

bs levels

on mon tue wed last week before i started my 0.6 ml dose i was sitting at a regular 15-18 mmol/l (before breakfast).

since starting my highest level is 8.2mmol/l.

Success me thinks.

hope to sort out a blog soon

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

norried.
That all sounds positive and a good start. :)

Are those readings you quoted all before meals ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.

I see....... :|

Whilst you have made a significant improvement you need to check your readings 2 hrs after meals as this is what is very important.

As a T2 you should be aiming to be below 8.5 mmol/l 2 hrs after meals. Preferably lower.

norried

This just shows posably where im going wrong ,no healthcare person has ever explained this to me I will keep an eye on this tonight

cugila

Master
Dislikes

I did wonder about your readings, hence the questions. You have been diagnosed for 15 yrs I believe so please take this in the spirit it is intended. No reflection on you.

Have you read through the Basic Advice for Newbies which my pal Sue and I post here ? It is in the Greetings and Introductions section. I think some of the information there will be of benefit to you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088&start=0

Let me know what you think.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals

Just a quick question trying to work out what caused it.

Just injected myself as normal this morning and I have for the last 2 weeks not felt it once no pain at all. But this morning it was actually quite nippy. Just wondering possibly what caused it im thinking maybe a bruise or tender bit from a day or two ago in that area that I didnt notice.

Or does it sometimes just hit a little nerve or something? anyone else have any random injections that nip a little.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

An injection can sometimes 'sting' a bit, just the luck of the draw. I might get 1 out of ten that do that. I inject in the 'tum' so there is some fat to avoid hitting a muscle which will sting.

norried

Checked my levels at both 1 hr and 2. Hrs last night both below 9 and still not on full dose of injection so quite happy.
I do realise ive been playing at this for too long now but now theres a chance I could loose my bus license and hence my job I WILL have to be more serious.
All advice is most welcome so dont wory about being direct.;-)

cugila

Master
Dislikes

norried.

Glad to see things are again improving for you. :) Stick with us and I am sure it will get better.

It took me 12 years to get to the right way to control my Diabetes, mainly because I 'thought' I was doing it right by following the NHS 'healthy' diet......turned out I was sooooo wrong ! Now I know better. :)

I sympathise regarding your licence as I too have both LGV/PCV licences and know how precious they are. So, it is a great incentive to get it right........ :)

Bingo Wings

Hi guys, looks a very helpful and friendly site hope you can point me in the right direction, started on Victoza just before xmas 0.6 for a week then onto the 1.2 along with 30-40 units of my lantus twice a day and 1000mg of metformin. I no longer take any of the Novarapid as directed and seem to be getting high readings of 10-25 on my meter, had diabetes for 15yrs and never once been in control of it was hoping this Victoza would be the holy grail. Today had a small bacon sandwhich and a few pots of tea (no sugar) all day and a reading of 15. Have lost over a stone in the time i have taken it and my appetite has dramitically reduced so really want to make the Victoza work, not sure on which way to go shall i up the Victoza to 1.8, up my lantus or double up on the metformin :?: :?:
Any help you can give me would be great.
Confused
Lee.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Lee.
Welcome to the Forum.

Instead of thinking about upping doses of Med's how about going back to basics and looking at your diet ? Victoza is a very effective drug but is not the 'holy grail'. You need to help it to be more effective.

Carbohydrates are going to elevate your BG levels so it makes sense to reduce or avoid them.

Bingo Wings

Hi cugila thanks for the help looks like i am going to have cut out the carbs then any links on here with foods low in carbs as you can tell not too clued up on the diet lark but more than willing to give it a go. Obviously eating the wrong type of foods could really do with more than a sandwhich a day :D
Thanks
Lee.

Just having a look around the site and found the low carb recipes, DOH!
Thanks

cugila

Master
Dislikes

Bingo Wings said:
Hi cugila thanks for the help looks like i am going to have cut out the carbs then any links on here with foods low in carbs as you can tell not too clued up on the diet lark but more than willing to give it a go. Obviously eating the wrong type of foods could really do with more than a sandwhich a day :D
Thanks
Lee.

Hi Lee.
It took me 12 years to find out where I was going wrong with diet........ :( Then I came here. So, this advice is what Sue and I hand out to newly diagnosed Diabetic's.........I think some of the information in there may be of help to you........hope you don't mind ?

Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed Diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, Diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy Carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of Insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause Insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting Carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total Carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a Diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the Nurse/Doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own Diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try !!

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l........(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals....... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Ken / Sue.

Bingo Wings

Brilliant advice. Can't thank you enough for this, i can learn this my own way without some stick thin dietician @ the hospital flooding my head with toooo much info. Just going to order a carb counting book of amazon now can't get to wh smith. I must admit i ALWAYS look for the sugar content and not the carb content and i love bread Warburtons toastie bread mmmmmmm :lol: :lol:
The Victoza has been very good for me @ suppressing my appetite so really want to make it work for me and can't wait to start this carb counting and alter my diet instead of increasing my meds to suit my current diet.
Thanks cugila/Ken?
Really appreciate your help
Lee.

cugila

Master
Dislikes

That's good. Yep, Ken.....I answer to many names. :twisted: :)

While you are at it get yourself a set of small digital scales (not the ones junkies use !) with a Tare facility to help accurately weigh out foods for portion control. I've seen some for less than a tenner.

I stick pretty much to those guidelines, it doesn't stop me having the odd spud or bit of bread when my levels are low.......which is most of the time. It's trial and error so don't be too despondent if sometimes your levels aren't perfect.......we were all there once and it does get easier. :)

kathandtez

hi
its my 1st time on forum but have been reading about victoza, just wanted to share my experience and hope its of benefit to someone. i was taking metformin twice a day , gliclaside and pioglitazone. numbers averaging blood readings 15-20.
on dec 1st i went on victoza 0.6 and came of the pioglitazone was great blood readings came down to average of 12. on the 17th dec i was told to go up 1.2 after 4 days i was so ill it was astounding vomiting, runs the shakes was awful ( good thing i lost 12lb) so dsn told me to go back to 0.6 and i was ok again, we decided to wait until after new year to go back up and on the 3rd jan i did and apart from feeling a bit sickly i am fine. seein nurse next week and we hopefully going up to 1.8

basically i just want to say if any one does have any probs maybe worth a 2nd attempt which gives the body a bit more time to adjust to blood sugar being a lot lower.

hope it helps someone
Kath

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

Well here I am again. It has been 3 months since I started on Victoza. My weekly average in October started at 15.2, my average for last week was 9.6. (just a little more to go).

I tried this morning at work to cut way down on my carbohydrates, just to see what happened, so before dinner my reading was 8.0 and with my roast dinner I only had half a potato and half a Yorkshire pudding, I was ashtonished to find (though I don't know why after all that has been written on this forum) that my 2 hrs after was 8.1. So I will now definately be watching my carb count from now on.

I didn't lose any weight this week still at 13st, but on the up side I didn't gain any.

Thanks to all for all your advice.

Valeris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Heavy exercise.Salt Vegetables without spices

Just been to see tht diabetic consultant for 3 monthly results:

HbA1c from 11.6 down to 8.7
Cholesterol 4.8 no change

I am so pleased that it is now quite evident that Victoza is working for me.

Once again thanks to all who have helped me.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Hi. Finally seen doc at local hospital regarding trying me on victoza, after two appts and admitting my bp high at 191 and 163 plus my bs wild fluctating between 11.6 and 21.7 am ideal for victoza except was REFUSED it due to being too tiny in body frame and build....!!!!

My own gp is far from happy with this, and insists on writing back to hospital plus wants me to see other consultant to see if his opinion is different? Am "sick" of it all, not knowing what is going to be the outcome of these difference of opinions etc.

Am and have "refused" to pile on another 3 or 4 stones of weight on just to be within the guidelines and rules, please see my other written pages 45, 46, I feel no further progress with it all. am confused more as result.

On the diabetic meds am now only on sitaglyptin [januvia] have come off gliclazide due to put 2stone of weight on, and am yet still under BMI of 35 to be accepted for victoza, to add to the further distress to me--- the consultants senior registrar was more than happy to put me on victoza,the consultant gave the final dicision with reasons of BMI less than 35 and lack of data [relatively new drug] his words!!! I still really feel the consultant treated me just as a number and wanted to get through his work load as quick as he could.... Never asked me any specific questions or gave decent explanation to his own and his senior registrar"s difference of opinion.

I am unable to take ANY other meds for my diabetes with my body and systems intolerance to them, have tried and tested them in the past. thats why my own gp is pushing for me to go onto victoza with assistance of stemetil alongside to help with any nausea or sickness if I needed it. Am at a complete loss what to do with this experience i had this week.

Any one got angle on this. Am 11 stone 3 pounds in weight over last two years put 2stone on with gliclazide. And i have heart problems with a PDA patent ductus ariteosis.Eat healthy diet and cut back on wholemeal pasta and bread. Same with jacket potatoes too. After reading kens and sues advice to try low carbing. Just feel totally let down with pfofessional consultant his senior registrar and my own gp"s varying opinions! Anna.