Broken pump whilst swimming!

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
IMG_7425.jpg

So my pump cane up with an alarm whilst swimming this morning and when I looked it was full of condensation!

I’ve called animas and they’re replacing it but I’m just a bit worried because there’s no cracks or anything and I can’t work out why it’s happened! I swim quite a lot and replace the battery cap every three months as reccomended if you swim!

Has anyone else had this!
Absolutely terrified of injecting myself as I’ve become so used to the cannula

D

Deleted Account

I must confess, although the Vibe is waterproof, I never wear it when swimming.
When swimming, spa-ing, or at the beach, I have attached my pump every hour and given myself an hour's worth of basal as a bolus dose.

I have experienced the Animas replacement service and found them excellent. My replacement pump arrived less than 24 hours after I reported the fault so you should not have to deal with injections for very long.

If you can talk to your local diabetes team, they can help you with the temporary transition.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I have the Medtronic 640G which is also supposed to be waterproof but after having 3 pumps crack on me over the past 2.5 years I don't wear mine whilst swimming either! :( I do the same as @helensaramay and test my BG & give myself some insulin before I disconnect it. I do the same when I'm going in the bath/shower or on the beach. I just don't trust them to be fully waterproof anymore!! :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have to admit that I take m 640g off for swimming too, my reasons are that I don't want it visible and also because I am prone to going hypo whilst swimming, so it's easier to cut off my insulin supply completely and then correct if I need to when I re-attach it, I only swim for about 40 mins so it's no issue at all.