Help high bs yet low carb

shez

Hi I started low carb yesterday sugars were under 8 all day good for me
I also had my diabetic check up and we agreed to change my lyxumia injection from the morning as I don’t always want to eat to the evenings starting today
So I got up this morning have had low carb all day and numbers have been between 10- 13 do you think this is due to changing the injection from am to pm and just a case of getting it back into my system

We will see what tomorrow brings bloody sugar levels

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best way to track progress with low carb, is to check your BG before a meal, and 2hr after the meal. The aim is to keep the increase in BG to below 2.

I expect the increase in BG is due to changing the timing of lyxumia. PS what did you eat today?

shez

I had 2 slices of liv life 3G carb bread then everything else was meat eggs salad cheese only 17g of carbs so was shocked at the readings even this morning was 13 so offfor a swim to try bring it down

Last edited:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It possible that the high process "fibre" in the liv life low carb is being digested by your body as if it was carbs. Often people find that "none digestible fibre" is digested by their body. Hence it may be worth doing an experiment to confirm what is going on.

Otherwise, keep tracking your 2hr post meal reading, also remember that a 10 minutes slow walk after the meal helps greatly. I expect the readings will start coming down, but that your morning "fasting" reading may take a lot longer to improve. Our livers like to empty all the stored sugar into our blood when it thinks we may need to go hunting to get food..... Your swim is a great response to this.

shez

Thanks Ringi think I will try missing the bread at breakfast ( only time I have it ) and see what happens, as it’s staying high all the time even after swimming this morning and a walk round town it’s only down to 10 , so it’s bacon egg and mushrooms for lunch in a bit and will see what happens

shez

Woohoo just checked bs before lunch and was down to 8.9 so still high but heading in the right direction just got to wait 2 hours now and see what bacon egg and mushrooms has done to it

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I would give it a while before you draw any conclusions.
If you only started low carbing yesterday, and you changed your medication today, then you won't know which of those things is having what effect.

If I were you I would take a few days, even weeks, to track your blood glucose and food intake, (food diary and blood glucose tests) and record everything. You will probably see things settle and patterns emerge.

Very often the first few weeks of low carbing see some big changes, and it can take a while for the true picture to emerge. In fact, the changes will continue for months, although they may be slow and hard to spot if you don't record things carefully. :)

shez

Yep I am keeping a food diary and recording bs before and 2 hours after
Things are going down slowly got an 8.5 2 hoursafter lunch

Reactions: Brunneria

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep I am keeping a food diary and recording bs before and 2 hours after
Things are going down slowly got an 8.5 2 hoursafter lunch

That's ok, but what was it before lunch and what did you have to eat?