END OF WEEK 8 & END OF NEWCASTLE DIET

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The weight back on is the killer.
Get back on the Newcastle, drop those two stone back off again, and you'll be back down.

Don't get hung up on fat.
Eat healthy, keep the weight off, job's a good 'un.

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No idea on the counting stuff.
I just know a big plate, too often, weight goes up, gut goes up with it.
I know the fix is a smaller plate.
Then again, I've knocked the snacks on the head too.
I don't need to mess around with anything other than eating less, and watching the belt, and the scales.

But you're right though, if you can do the ND, you can get back down easily again.
Cheers

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mate, two stone back on, more than just watching carbs here.
Unless that is a junk food pure carb diet, I'd say needs a bit more then blaming just carbs.
Jc man - I started on the “Low carb program” which meant I was targeting 100 carbs a day
But quickly realised this wasn’t working so dropped to 50 a day, still not working, asked a few questions about fat intake levels etc.
Decided to go Keto at 20g per day but weight still went on.
No junk food

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Professor Taylor said something like eating needs to be around 75% (of the original amounts eaten, someone will correct me if wrong) and that exercise is important for maintenance. So it appears if the ND protocol is followed calorie counting counts as a new "set" point is made - this is my interpretation.

A few days ago I read a thread where someone's weight had stalled; to kick start weight loss on LCHF the person increased their fat.

If you either know what you were eating religiously after the ND, it could be 1 element that doesn't work for you, which needs dropping, such as butter, milk, cheese, olive oil, avocodos as examples. You may need to be super attentive once you get back in the 12's and measure weight and foods everyday for a while, you'll nail it permanently, as you stuck to the ND.
Hi
I thought the 75% referred to when coming back to eating after being on ND, I.e. that you started at 75% of your intended intake and gradually increase over a few weeks?
I was running every other day after ND and that was for half an hour minimum per day.
Don’t understand the “set” point bit.

So I went LCHF after the ND.
I aimed at low carb and didn’t look at calories or fat intake. I didn’t look at “of which sugars” just counted the carbs.
I feel I should be counting carbs as I have been, but restricting my calorie and fat intake to a certain level too but not sure what the fat level ceiling should be. Certainly no more than 2500 calories per day plus exercise (I use Fitbit app to log my exercise and calorie burn).

Reactions: Arlmy

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
So for example if you were eating 2000 calories prior to ND, this was the original set point. My understanding is that your new calorie intake post ND would be 1500 calories, as the set point. I am caveating this as, this is from memory, if correct this would need to be understood up front by participants.

Prof Taylor does make of clear that unlike other low calorie diets, his works by having an intervention of dietary guidance at the right time, so there is no bounce back. I know I have flip flopped as to whether I would have undertaken this protocol, certainly if I did it would be with real food I.e. the Blood Sugar Diet.