BS increase with no food , help needed

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi experts , time for more guidance and clarity...brief summary
3 years of type 2 denial, I am a ‘fat diabetic’ , meaning I’m pretty sure if I wasn’t carrying excess 2 stone I would probably be pre diabetic .....attempted LCHF whilst I have seen BS come down from 15+ down to a bit lower I haven’t succeded in getting the magic below 7 , ever. Recently a good friend said why don’t you do the michael Mosely 8 week? I said no having already bought the book and if memory serves I didn’t like the recipes ....but in the cold light of day I went and dusted off the book and speed read some bits and more importantly saw the pictures of the size of meals I should be eating to lose weight! A real wake up call!!
I also realised the LCHF plays to my weaknesses and i have been eating way too much of the HF!!
I am on metformin twice a day, I should have been on additional diabetic medication but It had an nasty side effects, so I stopped taking it.
For the last few days I missed brekkie, have stopped snacking and have lost 4lbs, which is fab, but having been testing myself a lot As I really want to get my bs down.
On one day (as an example ) I started on bs 12.2,no breakfast , just black coffee and lemon water, and other pills , at 12.35 I was 10.2, had 2 hard boiled eggs, avocado 1 tbsp coleslaw and some pork scratching....at 3pm I was 8.6 .... had sips from a cup of tea and water but at 5.25 mybs was 8.8 ....at 6.30 before eating my supper it had gone to 9.5 ... I read something about liver dumping....could someone please explain what that is, Is that what it might be be? And how do I prevent it? Thanks in anticipation

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Liver dumping is a some what crude way of describing the bodies reaction to what it senses as low blood glucose when your blood sugar drops below what the body deems as nominal BS, hormones are released that trigger the liver into releasing some of it's stored glucose into the blood stream this is an automatic reaction and is basically beyond your control.

If you eat some thing maybe only a small amount you can maybe forestall this action and stop it being triggered. But it is a bit hit and miss. Once your body becomes adjusted to lower levels of bs the nominal level at which this is triggered may change. This also happens when you are particularly stressed as in the fight or flight reaction.

Reactions: Olufisayo

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you....so as my bs is high (ie not Normal) do I assume that this isn’t the reason for the increases , despite having not eaten?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you have been used to highish blood sugars for some time then what your body considers as nominal can be quite high also until you adjust to a new level and the change in diet this can take a while so I would not make that assumption yet.

I would however suggest you talk with your doctor or diabetic team about this as it is possible something else may be going on.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might try reducing the length of time you go without food - I can eat the same foods as breakfast and dinner as for lunch and dinner and see far more stable BG levels.
My body just doesn't like to go longer without meals, so eating early and late seems to be what I need.
You might see the same result if you give it a go for a few days.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The other way to think of “liver dump”, is that your liver is stuffed full of sugar, the liver does not like this. As soon as you eat less carbs/suger, your BG drops a little, this result in your insulin levels dropping a little. Like an overexcited child, the liver then jumps with joy and deposits too much sugar into your blood.

(Given that we need to remove the fat from the liver to control Type2, but liver fat will never be burned while the liver is filled of sugar, it is not a bad thing for our livers to empty themselves out.)

Genital exercise, for example, a short walk can help to use up some of the blood sugar.

Keep to a very low carb diet for a few day, ensuring your meals never increase BG by more than 2, and you should see your BG coming down. If in doing so, your BG does not start to improve within one or two weeks, talk to your GP, but don’t except any drugs with a risk of hypos. The more modem drugs don’t have the hypos risk, and therefore they don’t prevent you from improving your diet.

Fat with carbs is the worse combination of food hence the “high fat” part of LCHF must not be done without the consistent very low carb part….. But avoid anything sold as “low fat”, as these tend to have added sugar in them.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry sorry, but I howled with laughter! That made my day x