Pump Insurance

Garymurday87

Good afternoon all,

my little boy is due to be fitted with an insulin pump next week, i have been told by our care team to ge the pump insured ,I have just spoken to my home insurance supplier and they wanted an extra £37 a month for this , can someone tell me if this sounds about right as i feel it is high, especially when i am only adding am additional 3k cost

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would say that is high......I have mine on home insurance and I don't think it went up at all....

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted Account

I have my pump on my home insurance. It added about £30 per year.

Edited to add:
My insurance did not go up the year I added the pump but the premium went up significantly the next year and when I asked why I was told it was partially inflation and about £30 due to my pump.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My home insurance didn't add to the premium and said my pump is even covered if I go on holiday abroad.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have my insurance with .A company called insurance 4insulin pumps which is underwritten by Lloyd's. Costs me £7.25 per month but includes world wide cover,loss,theft,accidental damage etc with no excess

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon all,

my little boy is due to be fitted with an insulin pump next week, i have been told by our care team to ge the pump insured ,I have just spoken to my home insurance supplier and they wanted an extra £37 a month for this , can someone tell me if this sounds about right as i feel it is high, especially when i am only adding am additional 3k cost

£37 a month is high. I don't currently have contents insurance and I'm highly unlikely to sort that out any time soon :banghead:So my pump is insured with insurance 4insulin pumps, less than £8 a month for both my pump and my cgm. I kinda thought that a special insurance company would at least understand what it is they're insuring and if it goes wrong they need to help me sort it out pretty quickly.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Eeeeek I’m not insured? It’s never been mentioned to me? I’m a funded NHS patient if that makes a difference? Whenever there are any problems with my pump, Medtronic change it straight away. I lose everything but that’s the good thing about it being attached all the time I even wear it hanging out of the bath as I hate the very slight impact off taking it off.
So can’t insure for loss and if it breaks, it’s fixed free of charge. I understand there is even a pump loan system to take a spare on holiday which I’ve never done.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eeeeek I’m not insured? It’s never been mentioned to me? I’m a funded NHS patient if that makes a difference? Whenever there are any problems with my pump, Medtronic change it straight away. I lose everything but that’s the good thing about it being attached all the time I even wear it hanging out of the bath as I hate the very slight impact off taking it off.
So can’t insure for loss and if it breaks, it’s fixed free of charge. I understand there is even a pump loan system to take a spare on holiday which I’ve never done.

As an NHS funded patient, it's your responsibility to insure the pump. If something happens to your pump while its within the warranty you won't get a new NHS funded one during the warranty period.

If you take it off to go swimming and someone steals your handbag out of your locker, then no pump. If it breaks because you're doing paint balling and end up body slamming into something breaking the pump that's not a pump failure covered by the warranty (which is why you're getting it fixed free of charge) that's one you want covered by insurance.

Check to see if it is in fact covered by your contents insurance already, although you're probably better of having it as a named item if so.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As an NHS funded patient, it's your responsibility to insure the pump. If something happens to your pump while its within the warranty you won't get a new NHS funded one during the warranty period.

If you take it off to go swimming and someone steals your handbag out of your locker, then no pump. If it breaks because you're doing paint balling and end up body slamming into something breaking the pump that's not a pump failure covered by the warranty (which is why you're getting it fixed free of charge) that's one you want covered by insurance.

Check to see if it is in fact covered by your contents insurance already, although you're probably better of having it as a named item if so.

Thanks for info / advice.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Gary
Is you son getting a tubes pump or a patch pump (such as Omnipod or Cellnovo)?
The reason I ask is that the handset replacement cost for the patch pumps is much lower than for tubed pumps eg £250 for Omnipod handset and £500 for my Cellnovo handset and this is covered under usual household insurance policies. For patch pumps the additional costs come from pods, cartridges etc.

AndyFeeney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk
It costs me about £7 a month to insure it. I asked my pump rep first and he said to definitely have it insured for the reasons others have stated.

I have used insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk for the past 4 years for my son's pump and never had a problem. it cost me £7 a month and they have a very comprehensive cover even abroad.
Well worth it

Cheers
Andy

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
House insurance is tricky, they will not replace within 24hrs, I've seen reports of over a month.

A pump specific insurance will replace within 24hrs (world wide) and also cover CGM's if needed.

amcdee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
another vote for nsurance4insulinpumps.co.uk they understand the importance of a working pump and promise next day replacement. The founders son is on an insulin pump, hence the company was born.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
another vote for nsurance4insulinpumps.co.uk they understand the importance of a working pump and promise next day replacement. The founders son is on an insulin pump, hence the company was born.

This has given me food for thought, I don't have my pump insured. I figured as I wear it all the time, I'm unlikely to lose it. When the casing cracked, Medtronic replaced it with a new one within 48 hours. Going to get enquire about insuring it.