Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @hannah11242 Welcome to the forum - just a point on your petition, there are around 400,000 people with type 1 diabetes in the UK, around 29,000 are children (source: JDRF) in case you want to correct this :) Well done on wanting to do something positive for type 1 diabetics and good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to sign it but it is not happy with my street address and nothing I can do seems to help so I abandoned the attempt.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well Sqire may you should move to a new mansion.

Reactions: TTTE

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
Tried to sign it but it says the petition is closed

D

Deleted Account

The petition is now closed.

However, whilst I admire the proactive actions, I am not convinced I would have signed it: in my experience, the Libre only works as guidance. It does not replace finger pricks for insulin dose (or driving). And, if finger pricks "put patients through pain" they are doing something wrong with their pricking or have other problems (such as ultra-sensitivity).
I think too many people have "drunk the Freestyle CoolAid". The Libre is useful but it is not a finger prick replacement.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Sqire may you should move to a new mansion.
Why? I am happy with the one I live in. Just a pity it has a difficult street address. Someone once said I should include a number so I said, "OK, it's number 1, will that help?".

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I have been type 1 for 53 years and have seen huge improvements in treatments over that time. CGM (whether Freestyle or Dexcom) are in my view a huge step forward, up there with today’s modern insulins. I started using Freestyle (self funded) about 18 months ago. Since then my HbA1c has improved by around 2% (8.5 to 6.5). Studies show that reduces the likelihood of microvascular complication by around half. Why the improvement? Because I scan 25 to 30 times a day and aggressively adjust my bolus injections accordingly. Of course you can do that by finger prick - but that is not always convenient, and it works out at twice the price of Freestyle, where there is no additional cost per scan.
Of course Freestyle is not a total replacement but it does hugely reduce the need to finger prick (in my case to around 2 to 3 times per day). The readings are always within 0.5 of being in agreement.
In my view Freestyle (and other CGM brands) are a huge opportunity to improve outcomes whilst at the same time actually saving the NHS money- both short term and long term. The current situation where it is on restricted availability is misguided and certainly contrary to my experience.
Finally, the reason I was given for it not being prescribed for me was that “I am not ill enough”. Am I the only one that sees the irony in that?
Perhaps I will write a book. I think I will call it “ Catch 22”.

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you want to support CGM there is still a petition on the Govt petition website. It is getting close to the numbers that would require a Government response, and after all, if it is good enough for the Prime Minister it should be available to all T1 diabetics.
Google Government petitions and then search for “ diabetic”

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why? I am happy with the one I live in. Just a pity it has a difficult street address. Someone once said I should include a number so I said, "OK, it's number 1, will that help?".
After all does Buckingham Palace have a number?