Lentils

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

To lentil or not to lentil that is my question? I recently read that eating lentils at one meal can have serious benefits when eating the meal after. Can anyone expand on this?

D

Deleted Account

Not heard the affect of lentils on the next meal.
However, things like lentils and chickpeas are odd if you are carb counting. Some people digest the carbs in these pulses whereas for others the carbs "pass straight through".
So, if you are carb counting or restricting your carb intake, you have to try them out to find out if you are a carb consumer or carb ...er.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, the only way to find out is to test, test and .... test.

Reactions: _markwilburn

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love lentils and they used to be a main source of protein for me, but after testing before and after 1 portion of homemade lentil soup, my blood sugars spiked, so as @Guzzler says, test it out to see how your body reacts, as we're all different.

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Screenshot_20180215-220546.png
There a small snippet in this article. Sorry but I don't know how to share the link.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
losing weight on beans - would not happen for me.
Can't compare eating them with lean meat as I never ate that either.
Lentils cause huge spikes for me - so I'd not be happy to see them even if there was an eventual benefit - but somehow I doubt it.

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Written by the Bean Institute. Don't believe all you read!
Nutritionfacts.org is where I read the initial report. But like I said I don't know how to share the link. The screen grab I posted was something I found later so it really has nothing to do with any organisation trying to push lentils. Check out the website before you make any glib comments.
Thanks.

Hotpepper20000

Nutritionfacts.org is where I read the initial report. But like I said I don't know how to share the link. The screen grab I posted was something I found later so it really has nothing to do with any organisation trying to push lentils. Check out the website before you make any glib comments.
Thanks.
I have tested what lentils do to my BG and I had a spike of more then 3 both times. It’s too bad because I enjoyed them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Nutritionfacts.org is where the initial report. But like I said I don't know how to share the link. The screen grab I posted was something I found later so it really has nothing to do with any organisation trying to push lentils. Check out the website before you make any glib comments.
Thanks.
Michael Greger has close links to WFPB and while this is not a bad thing imo his recommendations are sometimes at odds with non vegans/vegetarians.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Cooked lentils come in at about 17g/100g which isn't all that low. However the only way to know how they affect you is by testing.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

Nutritionfacts.org was founded and is run by Michael Greger who spends his life pushing Veganism. Of course he will extol the virtues of lentils, and any other plants, often with no science behind his recommendations. Each to their own, but I do advise you to try out what he says and use your meter to see if it works for you.

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Nutritionfacts.org was founded and is run by Michael Greger who spends his life pushing Veganism. Of course he will extol the virtues of lentils, and any other plants, often with no science behind his recommendations. Each to their own, but I do advise you to try out what he says and use your meter to see if it works for you.
Tried a lentil recipe today..5.1 before 5.5 1hr later.
Ive read a lot of DR Greger's work and he has some really interesting views on diet and how it affects our lives. I'm never ever going to be a vegetarian, sacrebleu, but I'm really not convinced with the high fat diet, that some of you guys are pushing all the time, and how it will effect the body over a long period of time. Don't get me wrong it works to get your HBA1C to where it should be but I need more variety and something a little healthier than fat. And TBH all of the good fat that our body needs usually comes from the plant world.

Last edited:

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive read a lot of DR Greger's work and he has some really interesting views on diet and how it affects our lives. I'm never ever going to be a vegetarian, sacrebleu, but I'm really not convinced with the high fat diet, that some of you guys are pushing all the time, and how it will effect the body over a long period of time. Don't get me wrong it works to get your HBA1C to where it should be but I need more variety and something a little healthier than fat. And TBH all of the good fat that our body needs usually comes from the plant world.
It's great that lentils don't spike you - we're all different and unfortunately they do spike me - I miss them a lot, but it doesn't surprise me they spike me as I always want seconds and thirds eating them - not a good idea for me at the moment. About a year before diagnosis I watched Forks Over Knives, and read Dr Greger's book - they appealed to me as I'm mainly vegetarian and the regime wouldn't require too many changes to my diet - but a vegetarian diet for 30 years hasn't prevented me getting type 2 and all I can say is I feel tons better in myself now I'm low carbing - still enjoying lots of veg and getting protein from eggs, a small amount of fish and tofu. Maybe one day I'll be able to reintroduce pulses into my diet, but I think we all have to decide what's best for our bodies, trust our instincts and what our meters tell us and go with that.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And TBH all of the good fat that our body needs usually comes from the plant world.
Mine comes from meat and dairy.. most plant fats are highly refined oils which I'm afraid I don't think are "good" for us at all.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

What were your levels at 2 hours and 2.5 hours? Low GI foods take longer to metabolise. Hopefully, you were OK.

If a particular food raises my levels unacceptably, then it isn't a healthy choice for me, and lentils fall into that category.

We will have to agree to disagree about fats. I don't push high fat, but a high percentage of what I eat is fat because my carb consumption is quite low, so therefore the fats become higher percentage-wise, and a tasty necessity for energy and nutrients. Most of my fats come from fish (salmon), eggs, meat and dairy. I don't eat plant based fats on the whole, with a few exceptions such as flaxseed. (I dislike nuts, avocados and olives - personal taste, nothing to do with health) and I avoid industrialised hydrogenated plant oils like the plague.

Each to their own. ;)

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I checked after 2hrs and was 5.2.
But I now try to get my fats from plant based foods rather than animal fats as there aren't really any animal fats that are good for us. Having said that I do love fish and eggs and probably eat more of the two than I should. So I don't totally disagree with you but my last cholesterol test was 6.2 of which good was 3.2 and trigs were 1.5 6.2 is the highest it's ever been and the only thing different since becoming T2 was my higher intake of animal fats.