What does alcohol do to you?

D

Deleted Account

Regarding what does alcohol do from a biological perspective:
As we are drinking, any carbs in the drinks act as carbs in food: they raise our BG.
Afterwards, the liver-effect jumps in. Our livers have, at least, two functions which we need to worry about: storing and dripping glucose to keep us going (which we usually match with basal insulin) and getting rid of poisons (such as alcohol). In a stereotypical world, one might suggest that livers are male: they can only do one thing at a time. So, when my liver is fighting off toxins, it is not dripping glucose. As a result, my BG may drop after drinking.
Therefore, when I drink, I reduce my basal insulin. Some people feed their munchies with a bit of untreated (no insulin) carbs

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Unfortunately I had no symptoms.

I just thought I'd check before I went to bed as it was the first time I'd gone drinking since being diagnosed.

Good excuse for the late night nibbles....

I.
The late night nibbles could be high in carbs, I now have the occasional glass of red wine perhaps 4 glasses a week I used to drink a bottle a night and loads of crisps or chedders, now might have a couple of slices of cheese.

Reactions: RAPS_od

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Throughout my life I’ve never been able to drink more than two glasses of my favoured red wine without a monumental hangover. Pre diabetes I stopped drinking on New Years Eve as I was fed up of losing the following day. I would have perhaps had 2 glasses plus a champagne.

Consequently the small amount I now drink with a meal has no affect.

Also have an occasional G & T though I now make sure it is not Fevertree I am given as a mixer. To my my cost I discovered their so called light, given to me as the slimline option asked for, has an insulin dose of fructose in it

Reactions: RAPS_od and Sibyl

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can drink red wine like Oliver Reed with a thirst, and nothing happens apart from the obvious. Beer sends it up a bit, especially lager. White wine is worse than beer. Cider is a disaster.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a few drinks slows the morning liver dump. Too many and I loose steerage. In others I hope it makes me more attractive and interesting!

Kerris1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm interested in others experiences with alcohol and what happens for you guys.
Obviously im pretty new to this.. when diagnosed at xmas i was super wary and didnt really drink anything.
I have now found red wine doesnt really do anything to my levels, i dont drop overnight or the next day (even after a bottle and a half of wine). yesterday i had a 4 bottles of bud.. again - minimal rise and no drop after... is this the norm?
I keep expecting to have a horror story to tell after a night on the sauce ?? Am i fooling myself into complacency?
I prefer to drink vodka and Diet Coke which low in carbs,however I also enjoy red wine when eating out and if drinking Beer stick to lager,I don't suffer any any real impact.so carry on and enjoy a wee drink in moderation,although it's important to keep checking levels

Reactions: pepp

pepp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i drink twice weekly type 1 for 42 years i drink a between 6-8 bottles of corona extra and my bs rise considerably but the day after bs drop considerably low so keep a close chek

Reactions: h4kr

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I seem to have the same reaction as most here. My understanding is that when you drink alcohol (any alcohol), your liver stops processing glucose to process the alcohol. The result is a high BG before bed, then a 4a.m. crash.
I stopped drinking vodka because the crashes were far too severe; it kept trying to kill me. Now, I can have a glass of wine or a beer with a meal and because I know what to expect, I'm usually okay. But I do have to eat when I drink or it's crash city.

Mandifadza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It was a school night!
Can some one help please around 04.00 am everyday lam suffering both my hands with cramps l work up my hand is frozen with cramp started with left hand now both and l feel discomfort in both shoulders, is this have anything to do with sugar levels lam type 2 mertfomin 850 twice a day

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Dear Mandifadza
Have you been to the doctors about your concerns, I usually wake up at about 4:00am as I get the urge to go to the toilet about that time anyway, TMI????
I get stomach cramps since being on slow release Metformin 750 once at night. I try not to eat after 18:00 hrs, sometimes not always possible though. Low carb diet helps. See your doctor first. Read my poem on my blog.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to have the same reaction as most here. My understanding is that when you drink alcohol (any alcohol), your liver stops processing glucose to process the alcohol. The result is a high BG before bed, then a 4a.m. crash.
I stopped drinking vodka because the crashes were far too severe; it kept trying to kill me. Now, I can have a glass of wine or a beer with a meal and because I know what to expect, I'm usually okay. But I do have to eat when I drink or it's crash city.
Did nobody tell you, the liver is male, it cannot multitask!

D

Deleted member 308541

I like beer, it helps me unwind and sometimes it makes me feel mellow...

Thanks to Tom T Hall.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My preference was always for cider when out or G&T at home, rose wine too
Now, I can't drink cider, I have 4 bottles of excellent Norcotts Elderflower cider sitting in the pantry looking sad, they sent my BG through the roof and further. G&T little movement and rose a bit more.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To my levels, absolutely no difference. Just have to resist the munchies.

But I'm a freak

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Lucky when i drink my sugar goes high then I crash I'm also a light weight so i watch myself more better now always have an alarm for 12 or 1 in the morning check my sugar and eat and drink juice cause I'm low my horror story I drank to much my bf was dropping me off home and I started to slur my words and shake In the seat he pulled over freaking out checked my blood sugar grabbed a Powerade from the back and shoved it into my mouth and you know that weird feeling you get like a rush in your body from the sugar almost like a sugar rush but like a shock of life back into your body I get that all the time when I'm low
Wow sounds dangerous. Take care.

Reactions: lalacakez

phlox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm interested in others experiences with alcohol and what happens for you guys.
Obviously im pretty new to this.. when diagnosed at xmas i was super wary and didnt really drink anything.
I have now found red wine doesnt really do anything to my levels, i dont drop overnight or the next day (even after a bottle and a half of wine). yesterday i had a 4 bottles of bud.. again - minimal rise and no drop after... is this the norm?
I keep expecting to have a horror story to tell after a night on the sauce ?? Am i fooling myself into complacency?

phlox

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I'm Type 2 and on Metformin and Gliclazide and find that my morning level is consistently lower after an evening of alcohol, no clear explanation from the doctor but it could be that the alcohol thins the blood which slows down the liver's reaction and release of glugogen. But I'm not a doctor

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
Are you T2?? On any medication? I had no idea this could happen!
T2 on 1000mg metformin twice a day.

I.only tested myself because it was the first time I'd had a few drinks since diagnosis and I felt a bid more tipsy then I thought I should.

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wonder if it's because of the metformin? I know being keto means the alcohol makes you drunk quicker but I'm struggling to understand this.