Do you feel that diabetes has ruined your life ?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being diagnosed with diabetes was the best thing that could have happened to me to be honest. I've lost weight and feel great, I no longer eat processed **** and I am able to work and still have enough energy to run around after my grandchildren. I don't miss the chest and stomach pains, being unable to breathe, the headaches and lethargy and the mini comas. Don't get me wrong sometimes it's not easy but I've never once thought that it has ruined my life.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Diagnosed T1D at the tender age of 6, so I only know being a diabetic. Things were primitive when I started out....but have come on in leaps and bounds. Yes, it has caused me major problems (lost sight in left eye and stage 4CKD) BUT I do NOT let it get in the way. It can make things harder to do but with planning there is nothing a T1D can not do. Diabetes will not beat me

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

No no no no no.

When I was given the confirmed diagnosis, I was told "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want".
Since then, I have lived my life proving that point: as well as the usual working (including a career change with lots of International travel), dating (in which I was very open about my diabetes), trying every type of food I can find (and learnt to adjust my insulin for different foods) and general day-to-day living, I have competed in sports events, sailed across the channel in force 8 gale, walked in the Himalayas, rock climbed in the Dolomites, sky dived over Northants, tracked gorillas in Uganda, canoed down the Wye, ...
Sure some things require a bit of planning and I have had to walk for 8 hours after a horrible night time hypo and I have struggled to mountain bike because my BG is too high and ... but I manage my diabetes, it does not control me. I won't let it ruin my life.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Can i ask in what way its ruined your life?
Is there anything you feel unable to do, that you want?
And when were diagnosed (age) and
Are u t1 or t2?

Oh sorry you feel bad with it.

At least I don't eat what I want

Cause I have health problems

When i don't control it i don't sleep well it up three times a night. This adversely affects my work
Conversely What do you offer diabetes for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
It has modified my life but not ruined it. I'm only diagnosed as a T2 a bit over two years and have diet and blood in control with planning, vigilance and discipline. New nothing at diagnosis and the information from the hospital next to useless. Self education, talking and forums like this have helped immensely. I'm now 12 kg lighter, fitter, healthier and feel pretty good. Just for the record, my wife and I lost our eldest boy at 5 years of age to cancer. Kind of puts a T2 diagnosis into perspective quick smart.

Glenn

Reactions: Brunneria

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of puts a T2 diagnosis into perspective quick smart.

What an awful tragedy for you all. I am so sorry, and you are right. Even a cancer diagnosis, living with it and living beyond it puts it all into perspective. For me, anyway. Diabetes isn't always pleasant and is hard work, but it can be controlled. Some other chronic or life threatening conditions can't.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
It has modified my life but not ruined it. I'm only diagnosed as a T2 a bit over two years and have diet and blood in control with planning, vigilance and discipline. New nothing at diagnosis and the information from the hospital next to useless. Self education, talking and forums like this have helped immensely. I'm now 12 kg lighter, fitter, healthier and feel pretty good. Just for the record, my wife and I lost our eldest boy at 5 years of age to cancer. Kind of puts a T2 diagnosis into perspective quick smart.

Glenn

We are sorry for your wife's loss

The only thing I can not understand is spending a lot of money to destroy people in wars
In return, some money is not spent to revive some people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Like others have said diabetes has changed my life not ruined it, especially as my diabetes is caused by taking medication that quite possibly has saved my life and at the least has kept me mobile well I'm not spending my days sat in a chair any more.

So it was a risk and a trade off that I was willing to take.

Reactions: Freema

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well over 50 years on insulin here. Diabetes gave me a different and sometimes frustrating life. I’m not sure if it did ruin it but it certainly made it very difficult at times. Being diagnosed so young built in a discipline, driven by doctors, nurses and parents all those years ago, about everything connected to the condition and that is sometimes not a good thing. I remember a doctor telling me that with the new insulins I could now eat this or that. It took me years to be comfortable enough to take that advice. I always feel I have never ever relaxed with it.

That constant discipline tires me out. Yes, what it’s done has kept me fit, no diabetic complications BUT some days I really, really despise my diabetes. Perhaps that’s an age thing now but not sure.

Bill

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I think it varies from person to person depending on the material circumstances and age

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"you'll still wake tomorrow a diabetic and it'll throw the gauntlet down again."

This made me smile. As a T1 for over 40 years, i,ve had goodness knows how mornings i was lucky to crawl to a bottle of fizzy drink, hands shaking so much i can undo the cap, banging the bottle against my teeth as i slurp it to correct a low. I reachex the stage where i'm fitting. But then now i have Addisons too realky which complicates things.
Hi. You have a a few more years under your belt than me ( 27 yrs here ) but can definitely relate to the mornings you describe.
Waking covered in blood and requiring stitches, waking surrounded by family and medics, all this years back. Fortunately not so bad nowadays.

Reactions: kev-w

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad your doing better. Mine is generally good but i catch myself out now and then too. But my hba1cs are 54 so i keep trying settle a bit lower. Ironically ive found that keeping my blood sugar no lower than 6mM ratger than 4 steadies things a bit too.

cjj

Hi everyone and everybody

In fact I sometimes i feel that diabetes has ruined my life

I ask myself why I am ?

Is it a matter of luck ? Or is it inevitable ? Or I was not on the right track

Are several questions

What about you dear? Do you feel what I feel?

No!

But it does have limitations with certain careers i:e Army, Navy, Police, oil Rigs, Merchant Navy, Heavy Goods Vehicle driving and many other high risk types of work.

I’m a tv news cameraman, and I have travelled globally countless times, covering conflict, sport, documentaries etc... however, my experience on reflection, meant that I wasn’t really in control and times when I don’t ever recall checking my B/sugars over long periods. Though I’ve stopped overseas travelling now because I found managing my diabetes and running around with a heavy tv camera are not very compatible, as early diabetic neglect, I believe, has resulted in my current circumstances where neuropathy is quite severe and I’ve also fractured my leg recently where it’s taking quite long to heal.

Chris
Type 1 for 42yrs 57yrs old.

Reactions: kev-w and HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
No!

But it does have limitations with certain careers i:e Army, Navy, Police, oil Rigs, Merchant Navy, Heavy Goods Vehicle driving and many other high risk types of work.

I’m a tv news cameraman, and I have travelled globally countless times, covering conflict, sport, documentaries etc... however, my experience on reflection, meant that I wasn’t really in control and times when I don’t ever recall checking my B/sugars over long periods. Though I’ve stopped overseas travelling now because I found managing my diabetes and running around with a heavy tv camera are not very compatible, as early diabetic neglect, I believe, has resulted in my current circumstances where neuropathy is quite severe and I’ve also fractured my leg recently where it’s taking quite long to heal.

Chris
Type 1 for 42yrs 57yrs old.
Permit me to raise my hat to you
You taught me a lesson I will not forget thank you

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have to say @hichamgsm your English is just getting better and better. Just been reading up on common Morrocan languages on Google. Mike :)

I sure couldn't command that level of expertise though I can do limited French, Italian and some German

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Have to say @hichamgsm your English is just getting better and better. Just been reading up on common Morrocan languages on Google. Mike :)

I sure couldn't command that level of expertise though I can do limited French, Italian and some German
You welcome sir
Can I ask you where are you from ?