Blood glucose meter

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I had to go back for more blood tests today so I asked for a presciption for the cassettes my meter uses. I requested two cassettes with my monthly prescription but was only prescribed one. Each cassette does 50 tests so last less than 2 weeks. The nurse asked me if I would change my meter as the higher ups obviously want to save money but I declined her offer. I use the Accucheck mobile which is great as everything you need is all in one little machine. I appreciate that it's expensive but life with insulin is inconvenient enough

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also use the accu-chek mobile, and find it so convienient even though more exspensive.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to go back for more blood tests today so I asked for a presciption for the cassettes my meter uses. I requested two cassettes with my monthly prescription but was only prescribed one. Each cassette does 50 tests so last less than 2 weeks. The nurse asked me if I would change my meter as the higher ups obviously want to save money but I declined her offer. I use the Accucheck mobile which is great as everything you need is all in one little machine. I appreciate that it's expensive but life with insulin is inconvenient enough

50 tests a month (presumably 28 days) is totally inadequate for someone on insulin. It isn't quite 2 tests a day. When exactly does your nurse expect you to test? Do you drive?

Tony 1711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I am not on insulin, diet control only, but my nurse told me not to bother testing !!!!

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
50 tests a month (presumably 28 days) is totally inadequate for someone on insulin. It isn't quite 2 tests a day. When exactly does your nurse expect you to test? Do you drive?
The nurse got me a presciption for 2 cassettes and said I should test at least 4 times a day. She was quite happy to get the prescription but I think that the bosses want her to encourage people to use the cheaper monitor /testing strips. She didn't attempt to force another monitor onto me. I do drive.

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I was told not to bother testing [I am not insulin dependant] However as far as I am concerned self test testing is pro-active, I test twice a week, unless I am not well, or am trying something new in my diet, this way I can see what is happening week by week, otherwise I would be waiting for my 6 monthly HbA1c test which is re-active only advising what has happened for the past 6 weeks or so.
No I do not enjoy sticking lancets in my fingers, but hey ho thats life!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse got me a presciption for 2 cassettes and said I should test at least 4 times a day. She was quite happy to get the prescription but I think that the bosses want her to encourage people to use the cheaper monitor /testing strips. She didn't attempt to force another monitor onto me. I do drive.

If you drive you are supposed to test before you drive, and every 2 hours during a long journey. The general rule is Under 5 - don't drive. The last thing you need is a hypo whilst on the road. That alone should warrant you sufficient cassettes. If you have an accident and the police are involved, they may ask for your last meter reading, and will look at when it was taken. I'm not an expert on this, but there have been plenty of T1 threads about it.

You could, if you wish, buy yourself either the Codefree or the Tee2 meters and strips as they are very cheap. You could supplement your Accu Chek with these, and use them at home when convenience isn't as important. I do understand what you mean about the AC Mobile. I use it myself and love it, but have to buy my cassettes from eBay as no way could I afford full price as I test around 6 times a day.

Aspicher

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How many grams of sugar makes or equals a blood glucose reading point.??
Thanks
Alan

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This might help.

Hypoglycemic chart.png

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I reading that right? The heavier we are, the less effect ingested glucose has on our blood sugars? So thinnies are worse off? And the more weight we lose, the less we can ingest?

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There's always a flippin downside