What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
yes i know it, but my doctor advised it, he does not agree with low carb diet
How on earth will you ever control your diabetes if you don't reduce your carb intake it's your body not your doctors all he will do is increase your meds until your on insulin,is that what you want? K

Reactions: ziggy_w

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes @pleinster Ive not much confidence in Police Scotland so far.Our village has been given a set of traffic calming red lights the first to be trialled in Scotland.The HGV drivers on their way to and from Ireland show their objection by blasting horns as they travel through the village during the night.One night,six episodes!Id just had an awful day yesterday seeing GP because of lack of sleep,most nights sinceDecember11th.Her summary of the situation is to say it's not a health matter so ..........?She very reluctantly allowed me seven sleeping tablets.......

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Yes @pleinster Ive not much confidence in Police Scotland so far.Our village has been given a set of traffic calming red lights the first to be trialled in Scotland.The HGV drivers on their way to and from Ireland show their objection by blasting horns as they travel through the village during the night.One night,six episodes!Id just had an awful day yesterday seeing GP because of lack of sleep,most nights sinceDecember11th.Her summary of the situation is to say it's not a health matter so ..........?She very reluctantly allowed me seven sleeping tablets.......

That sounds horrendous ! I get that drivers are unhappy about this perceived invasion/hindrance but why wake up locals because you have an objection ? Inconsiderate gits...why don't they make a complaint to the appropriate people ? So the police introduce a measure but don't actually police the area...cutbacks yes but still...it's the locals who have to deal with it. Being startled awake several times a night due to ill considered actions and ignorant behaviour...great for the old blood sugar. I sympathise. Go to your MP (if he/she is are not a Scottish Tory, and therefore entirely uninterested in such "small matters").

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just busy eating my words,the local police have just visited us to give us an update and check times ,dates etc!

Mhm...we shall see. I hope they somehow resolve it to your satisfaction. How many carbs in these words you are eating ?

Reactions: ziggy_w

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How on earth will you ever control your diabetes if you don't reduce your carb intake it's your body not your doctors all he will do is increase your meds until your on insulin,is that what you want? K

To be honest, I'm so confused, I've started a low carb diet before meeting a doctor but he says low carb diets can cause ketoacidosis, but I think soon start a low carb diet after my meds is out this month

Reactions: Granny_grump_

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mind making me understand how many carbs per meal per day? Sounds like a lot of carbs for a Type 2 diabetic to consume. Do you count calories too? If I were to eat that many carbs it would send my blood glucose over the roof.
i count my calories, my doctor said to eat min 2100 kkal a day but i just eat about 1500 a day

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
To be honest, I'm so confused, I've started a low carb diet before meeting a doctor but he says low carb diets can cause ketoacidosis, but I think soon start a low carb diet after my meds is out this month

This worried me initially too when I was starting my low carb diet nearly 3 years ago. I don't claim to be an expert but I am now pretty confident that I know more about what had impact on me personally than many supposedly knowledgeable medical professionals going by what many appear to spew out. There is a big difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. On a low carb diet (if it is very low carb or just low in terms of food), you can be "in ketosis"..meaning that you have a higher than normal number of ketones (chemicals produced when your body consumes fat rather than burning it off because it doesn't have the usual stuff to turn to). I personally doubt that I ever go so low in carb and fat intake to really have an issue with this (and many are more than happy to be in ketosis). I am not saying ketoacidosis is not possible on a very low carb diet (particularly if you are consuming and producing no glucose) but it is rare. Your doctor may be exaggerating, referring to a state of ketosis as ketoacidos (which would be irresponsible and misleading), or just wrong. Check the link below and relax.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/297064-low-carb-diets-ketoacidosis/

Reactions: Freema

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This worried me initially too when I was starting my low carb diet nearly 3 years ago. I don't claim to be an expert but I am now pretty confident that I know more about what had impact on me personally than many supposedly knowledgeable medical professionals going by what many appear to spew out. There is a big difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. On a low carb diet (if it is very low carb or just low in terms of food), you can be "in ketosis"..meaning that you have a higher than normal number of ketones (chemicals produced when your body consumes fat rather than burning it off because it doesn't have the usual stuff to turn to). I personally doubt that I ever go so low in carb and fat intake to really have an issue with this (and many are more than happy to be in ketosis). I am not saying ketoacidosis is not possible on a very low carb diet (particularly if you are consuming and producing no glucose) but it is rare. Your doctor may be exaggerating, referring to a state of ketosis as ketoacidos (which would be irresponsible and misleading), or just wrong. Check the link below and relax.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/297064-low-carb-diets-ketoacidosis/
tanks pleinster

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi @gusbudone the 500 carbs your doctor advised you ate is far too many carbs for a type2 diabetic all it will do is make you put on weight and increase your BG,just reduce the carbs by half and if you have a meter test your BG before you eat and 2 hours after you've eaten. Keep a diary of your BG readings and everything you eat and see what foods cause your BG to rise,this way you will find out what foods spike BG for you either reduce amounts or avoid to keep your BG readings in check. It's called eating to your meter,meaning if it doesn't spike your BG you can usually eat that food without it spiking BG . It's all about trying what foods work for you and what doesn't.
Many people on here have done the low carb high fat diet which has well has giving them control of their BG also enabled us to lose weight,if weight loss is not a problem for you concentrate on just reducing your carb amounts until your BG is within type2 diabetic range. If you need more advice I will tag @daisy1 for you she will send you the information on type2 diabetes to help you. Anytime you need an answer to any problems you or concerns you have just ask the questions people on here have been there done and got the tee shirt,they will help if they can. Good luck ! K

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A few of the below is how I feel about my bad BG this morning. My fault!! Had a little hypo during the night. Woke up for a P and decided to test BG. I shouldn't have because I over compensated and woke with a massive 7.5. Very Peeeeeeed off as I'd kept my carbs beautiful yesterday. Still it's only a number and shows me my direction for today.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: