Type 2 1hour after eating

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys ,
So a few days back I tested my blood sugar fasting and it came to be 85mg/dl ,I had cold and chest infection that day so I had been taking cough syrup and amoxicillin ,anyway I had my routine breakfast and then I did my postparandial test after one hour it came out to be 166mg/dl and I was shocked to see this much spike and after that I waited another hour and when exactly 2hours passed from my breakfast I did another test and it came to be 112mg/dl... now I am just curious to know is this kind of blood sugar spike normal after one hour after eating and what are the normal values for fasting , one hour after eating and two hour after eating....

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Without knowing what you ate it would be impossible to even make a guess.
High carbs usually means high glucose 2 hours after starting to eat, and low carb normally means within the rise of two whole numbers which is what many aim for. Middling carbs middling rise.
The usual timing is 2 hours, once you get into a routine.

Reactions: Altaf_7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone will see some sort of spike round about an hour after food, including non diabetics, depending on the food eaten. The only guidelines we have is for a test 2 hours after first bite. In your measurement units, this rise should be no more than 36mg/dl (in UK units this is 2mmol/l) and preferably less. More than this and there are too many carbs in that meal.

Edited to add that your cough syrup and medication may well adversely influence your numbers

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Without knowing what you ate it would be impossible to even make a guess.
High carbs usually means high glucose 2 hours after starting to eat, and low carb normally means within the rise of two whole numbers which is what many aim for. Middling carbs middling rise.
The usual timing is 2 hours, once you get into a routine.

No it was nothing like high carb ... I had two egg whites and a cup of tea with 2slices of bread with butter

Reactions: Olufisayo

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Everyone will see some sort of spike round about an hour after food, including non diabetics, depending on the food eaten. The only guidelines we have is for a test 2 hours after first bite. In your measurement units, this rise should be no more than 36mg/dl (in UK units this is 2mmol/l) and preferably less. More than this and there are too many carbs in that meal.

Edited to add that your cough syrup and medication may well adversely influence your numbers

36 is hypoglycemia ... anything less than 70 is hypoglycemia what we have here in India is less than 110mg/dl -6.1 mol for fasting and less than 130mg/dl-7.2 mol after two hours after eating

Reactions: Olufisayo

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
36 is hypoglycemia ... anything less than 70 is hypoglycemia what we have here in India is less than 110mg/dl -6.1 mol for fasting and less than 130mg/dl-7.2 mol after two hours after eating
If your pre meal reading is 85, then your two hours after first bite should be no higher than 110, if it is higher, then either a particular food or a combination of food from that meal has spiked you too high.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not the white bread... it’s a different kind of bread

All bread will spike you, no matter what colour it is. It is high in carbohydrate.

When I said 36mg/dl I was referring to the rise in levels from before eating to after eating. I wasn't referring to the actual level. You should not increase your levels by more than 36mg/dl .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No it was nothing like high carb ... I had two egg whites and a cup of tea with 2slices of bread with butter
I'm afraid that is the exact opposite of the LCHF diet recommended - whole eggs scrambled with butter or olive oil, with some low carb addition such as mushrooms or sweet pepper, and no bread would be my choice.

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
I had 303 mg/dl, 16. 8 after my meal yesterday. I sent a SOS message to this forum. This morning I was on 5. 4 @ 7.30. Thank you good people!

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Perhaps you could eat only one slice of your type of bread and see how you get on, andeat the whole egg:)L

All of us are very different and can tolerate different things, so you won't personally know until you test, test and then test again!! Someone mentioned that they test three times for certain carbs and if they get good readings all three times, that is an ok carb meal to have but retests that same carb once in a while to make sure it is still okay!