Reversed diabetes

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last A1c was 30. I consider myself still T2 because I know that if I went back to eating lots of carbs my BG would go haywire again. My GP is clueless and the DN a horrible creature. I didn't rely on them in any way, shape or form. Thank God for the internet!
Wow - 30 is amazing. How many carbs a day do you stick to now?

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't count any more. I did ND with food for 8 weeks, then low carb. Rarely manage the 20g keto level. Usually under 50 though. Often I just eat in a two hour window, so it's a long fasted period. I was diagnosed 13 months ago with fasting BG of 12.4. I had a fasting BG in 2014 of 7.8 that was never picked up, so I think I'd had T2 for longer. My eyesight had gone very blurry and I was so dehydrated when I woke up, my eyelids would stick to my eyeballs! Anyway. I lost 8.5 stones in 10 months. A1c after the ND was 42 I think - hard to remember!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count any more. I did ND with food for 8 weeks, then low carb. Rarely manage the 20g keto level. Usually under 50 though. Often I just eat in a two hour window, so it's a long fasted period. I was diagnosed 13 months ago with fasting BG of 12.4. I had a fasting BG in 2014 of 7.8 that was never picked up, so I think I'd had T2 for longer. My eyesight had gone very blurry and I was so dehydrated when I woke up, my eyelids would stick to my eyeballs! Anyway. I lost 8.5 stones in 10 months. A1c after the ND was 42 I think - hard to remember!
8.5 stones in 10 months - AMAZING! People like you really inspire me to keep going.

Reactions: Incyb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Gosh, Incyb, you lost more than a whole me. Astonishing!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Congrats, @jcbman
That's great, hope it stays that way for ya now that you have been taken off all meds.
Good luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I am fairly sure that it was never my lifestyle, it was always the pressure to eat what is considered a healthy diet and the foods conveniently available from the supermarkets.
I have not changed anything very much, except gone back to the low carb diet I have been talked out of so many times - I am now eating much the same as when I was in my 40s, and I feel the same as I did when I was in my 40s, and I am acting as though I am in my 40s. I have lost weight and gained energy - but that was after I sorted out my blood glucose, not before.

Reactions: shelley262

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all not the same,people can or can not reversed.

Can't argue with that.
I reckon we all owe ourselves a shot at trying first, before we all assume it can't be done because some on here reckon they can't do it though.
You got to ask them, what have they tried first.
And then, you still have a go either way.
Then you can tell everyone else it didn't work for you, and only you if you're unlucky.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These days I am fairly sure that it was never my lifestyle, it was always the pressure to eat what is considered a healthy diet and the foods conveniently available from the supermarkets.
I have not changed anything very much, except gone back to the low carb diet I have been talked out of so many times - I am now eating much the same as when I was in my 40s, and I feel the same as I did when I was in my 40s, and I am acting as though I am in my 40s. I have lost weight and gained energy - but that was after I sorted out my blood glucose, not before.

Well, it was my lifestyle, and my diet.
Changed both, reversed diabetes.
I still eat supermarket food most of the time though, and I guess my 'healthy' eating now is what knocked you back before.

I know what you mean about 'pressure to eat a healthy diet' as well.
Seemed to be lots of knocking the Newcastle diet when I found it on here, I did it straight up, - all those chemicals, no real food.
I'm not dead am I?

So, stick to your guns, eat what you reckon works for you, ignore the ones that want to put you down, or try to baffle you with science.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, I'm 5'11 and I was rather huge. I think I was 8.5 stones when I was at primary school!

Well, I can get onto jeans for 11-12 year olds, so that's about right. I'm just a skinny little person (160cm).

Reactions: Incyb

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well, I can get onto jeans for 11-12 year olds, so that's about right. I'm just a skinny little person (160cm).

This has proved a problem for me. Not a big thing but as clothes for skinny people are mostly designed for the young and because I'm chasing 60 I am finding it difficult to find clothes that would fit me but not make me look like mutton dressed as lamb.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This has proved a problem for me. Not a big thing but as clothes for skinny people are mostly designed for the young and because I'm chasing 60 I am finding it difficult to find clothes that would fit me but not make me look like mutton dressed as lamb.

Lots of shops do down to size 6. Some very "young" shops go to 2 or 4. I am a size 6 in jeans and don't have too many issues finding clothes. Even M&S do 6s these days.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Lots of shops do down to size 6. Some very "young" shops go to 2 or 4. I am a size 6 in jeans and don't have too many issues finding clothes. Even M&S do 6s these days.

Ooh, I like M&S. Will wait for a sale, though. Cheers.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never shop there, but they do good sandwiches on the service stations.
Wine and beer too, can't really see that being a good idea, but then again, I've been on ones with a Wetherspoons on the services, make of that what you like!

Reactions: marathonmona

Muzzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The Virta Health is very impressive. There's a great team running it Stephen phinney, Jeff Volek and Sarah Hallberg just to name a few. I watched a video that Dr Sarah Hallberg did not long ago and if you can get over her strange voice and are able to listen to her then she knows her stuff particularly on cholesterol. I am so glad that more people are getting in to LCHF it's changing lives and if you can throw in some IF too you can even get better results.
IF ?

Reactions: SueBlitz

Biggles2

The endocrinologist also said I was an unusual and a very rare case.

The diabetic team have not seen anything like it in their 8 years of medical practice and experience.
I do hope that you took the opportunity to direct the endocrinologist and the diabetic team to our little part of the world here on this forum and to the Diet Doctor's website... they could then see for themselves that it is not so rare and unusual after all!;)

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, that was a long weekend.
Stuck in the cab, pies, pasties, sandwiches, and oddly bananas mainly?

And coffee thankfully.

Thankfully the thaw came, and back to a variety of grub.
Crack on for a better week now.