old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
I received my tester Friday Morning by post complete with the extra bits. (needles and "swabs" etc) so after practicing with the supplied swabs and cocking it up several times with the test fluid, I have now managed to get it to work??? Well I am old so machinery and instructions mean nothing to me, (Its a Spark and male thing)
my question is what does a reading of 9 mean??? my average was 11.5 with using the test fluid and my blood. the 9 was from my blood. I had eaten about three hours before and had just had one glass of red wine, so this was still a test for me but I need to know what the numbers mean. can anyone help?
I am recently diagnosed with T2 (Jan 2018) and still struggling with medication and its effects on me. (Metformin 750 slow release) I have lost approx. 11-12 lbs in weight by following a Carbohydrate 50g per day (or less) eating regime.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hi Guys and Girls
I received my tester Friday Morning by post complete with the extra bits. (needles and "swabs" etc) so after practicing with the supplied swabs and cocking it up several times with the test fluid, I have now managed to get it to work??? Well I am old so machinery and instructions mean nothing to me, (Its a Spark and male thing)
my question is what does a reading of 9 mean??? my average was 11.5 with using the test fluid and my blood. the 9 was from my blood. I had eaten about three hours before and had just had one glass of red wine, so this was still a test for me but I need to know what the numbers mean. can anyone help?
I am recently diagnosed with T2 (Jan 2018) and still struggling with medication and its effects on me. (Metformin 750 slow release) I have lost approx. 11-12 lbs in weight by following a Carbohydrate 50g per day (or less) eating regime.
@old sparky the reading on your Tee2 meter of 9 is your BG reading that's a little on the high side check your bloods before a meal and 2 hours after a meal write them in a book and what you've eaten this will help you work out what spikes your BG level type2 diabetics should aim for a reading before meals 4 to 7, 2 hours after meal you should aim for 4 to 8.5, if you have recently been diagnosed it takes time to achieve these readings they will come down on 50 grams of carbs but I can contact daisy1 if you want more advice and help with your diabetes,just let me know.! K

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
@old sparky the reading on your Tee2 meter of 9 is your BG reading that's a little on the high side check your bloods before a meal and 2 hours after a meal write them in a book and what you've eaten this will help you work out what spikes your BG level type2 diabetics should aim for a reading before meals 4 to 7, 2 hours after meal you should aim for 4 to 8.5, if you have recently been diagnosed it takes time to achieve these readings they will come down on 50 grams of carbs but I can contact daisy1 if you want more advice and help with your diabetes,just let me know.! K
Hi Granny_grump
Many thanks for that As I say I was just experimenting to get the thing to work, but typical male/electrician thing, never read instructions (unless all else fails) must have used up 5 of the supplied test strips and a lot of the supplied juice stuff.
will do the serious stuff tomorrow once the grand children have gone home, they are on a sleep over.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Granny_grump
Many thanks for that As I say I was just experimenting to get the thing to work, but typical male/electrician thing, never read instructions (unless all else fails) must have used up 5 of the supplied test strips and a lot of the supplied juice stuff.
will do the serious stuff tomorrow once the grand children have gone home, they are on a sleep over.
@old sparky funny that I have an exact replica here at home,hubby he too if all else fails reads the instructions! Haha! K

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
@old sparky funny that I have an exact replica here at home,hubby he too if all else fails reads the instructions! Haha! K
I said it was a man thing didn't I??? my wife is soooooooooooooo sensible. but where is the fun and excitement in that???? any way past my bed time so I must be well boring.

Good night one and all and thanks again for all advice.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I said it was a man thing didn't I??? my wife is soooooooooooooo sensible. but where is the fun and excitement in that???? any way past my bed time so I must be well boring.

Good night one and all and thanks again for all advice.
Good night don't let the bed bugs bite! K

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if as your tag says your insulin dependent you should have been supplied with one.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
this is whats on my screen
old sparkyInsulin-dependent Type 2 · Active Member

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Well done on the weight loss @old sparky! Your bs readings should come down if you are eating low carb.
The numbers NICE recommends are shown here:

target levels.jpg

@lucylocket61 and @paulus1 . It seems that @old sparky's avatar has been hit by the 'glitch' as he says in his post that he is only on slow release Metafornin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison Campbell

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
if as your tag says your insulin dependent you should have been supplied with one.
Hi I am not insulin dependent I use metformin 750 mg slow release one taken at night, just looked again at my own profile and cannot find where it says I am on insulin

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
Now getting the hang of this meter thingy stuff. 3rd reading pre lunch was 6 and nothing to do with grand children going home???? but I have had a couple of errors on the test strips, but reading the manual (UGH) my fault. so now hoping to get this correct, but what a lot of faffing about, I will try to organise myself better when we are away next week. and thanks for the chart Lucy. I will print that off and keep it in my pouch. Speak again soon all and grateful thanks to all.

Reactions: Prem51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi old sparky
When I got my TEE2 meter I did not test it with the test fluid I always understood that was only used if the meter appeared not to be working properly at any time. When I got mine I just switched it on and tested my blood straight away no testing with the fluid or programming it and it worked fine.
PS Can't remember if I had to install the battery or if it was already in it

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am not insulin dependent I use metformin 750 mg slow release one taken at night, just looked again at my own profile and cannot find where it says I am on insulin

Old sparky - I'll raise this with the techies again. It had been fixed for a while, but appears to have crept back onto the scene, it seems. Irritatingly, I don't see it either, so it's nothing personal!

If you go to your account settings, by clicking on your name at the top, right hand side of your web page, you can adjust your "Type of Diabetes". You will notice Type 2 is listed twice. When click on the down arrow to reveal the list, your current selection will be highlighted. Chose the other. I can't remember if you need the top or bottom one.

As I have just adjusted my own profile, I may now be showing as Insulin Dependent, which I'm not, but hopefully someone would point it out to me.

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Old sparky - I'll raise this with the techies again. It had been fixed for a while, but appears to have crept back onto the scene, it seems. Irritatingly, I don't see it either, so it's nothing personal!

If you go to your account settings, by clicking on your name at the top, right hand side of your web page, you can adjust your "Type of Diabetes". You will notice Type 2 is listed twice. When click on the down arrow to reveal the list, your current selection will be highlighted. Chose the other. I can't remember if you need the top or bottom one.

As I have just adjusted my own profile, I may now be showing as Insulin Dependent, which I'm not, but hopefully someone would point it out to me.
Hi DCUK
I have changed it to the top one It still looks the same to me but might not to others??
Got to help with the packing now, (Double ugh!!!)

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nope your reversed. my apologies for my error. it becomes very quick and easy i dont know your meter i use the freestyle neo no testing fluid no set up. simply wash hands load a stabber pop in the strip and stab done within 20 secs

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It had been fixed for a while,

It hadn't fixed for me! I still don't see insulin dependent, whether it is unintentional or whether the person actually is insulin dependent. Sorry ... don't wish to derail the thread.

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
nope your reversed. my apologies for my error. it becomes very quick and easy i dont know your meter i use the freestyle neo no testing fluid no set up. simply wash hands load a stabber pop in the strip and stab done within 20 secs
So am I reversed as T2 metformin, or does it show Insulin?
I use the TEE 2 free meter, some strips, a lance, and prickers. it doesn't take long but its the prep before hand, tissues, wet wipes, laying things out ready to test. (But I do like to be organised after a fashion, even if I do not always read instructions. LOL