recovering from operation

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,

I had a operation on my foot in October last year and have only just started to weight bear, however the foot is still pretty swollen and i'm being told another 10 months before this goes down to what it was before? has anyone else had this experience, if so any advice?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What was the operation? Complexity of same influences recovery time, but 10 months seems like a lot

Happyhomelands

Hi All,

I had a operation on my foot in October last year and have only just started to weight bear, however the foot is still pretty swollen and i'm being told another 10 months before this goes down to what it was before? has anyone else had this experience, if so any advice?
My husband spent 3 months in hospital starting October 2016. He is still not back to full strength. He has undergone many surgeries since an accident in 2002, full recovery takes time and determination. 10 months for weight bearing joints is probably normal, you will get enough functionality to get around long before. If you have queries do keep asking for check ups.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It was a broken navicular bone, removed and replaced with donar bone a metal plate. It just seems a long time.
Give your body time to heal. It needs it. Diabetics take longer, generally. Please have patience it will be worth it. Keep your mind occupied.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my MTP joint (the joint where the big toe joins the foot) fused in December. This involved removal of the joint and insertion of screws to fuse it. Not as major as your surgery by the sounds of it. I started weight bearing after six weeks but I was warned that I may have a swollen foot for up to a year.

homer190376

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my MTP joint (the joint where the big toe joins the foot) fused in December. This involved removal of the joint and insertion of screws to fuse it. Not as major as your surgery by the sounds of it. I started weight bearing after six weeks but I was warned that I may have a swollen foot for up to a year.
Diabetes just seems to get in the way

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes just seems to get in the way

I was diagnosed between deciding on surgery and having the surgery so was worried about the effect Diabetes would have on recovery. My surgeon said with good control of blood sugars it shouldn’t make a difference. However I have type 2 so maybe it’s a little easier to achieve? I wish you well.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I have some swelling in my right foot and ankle, cause unknown. I am currently taking Furosemide, a diuretic, which does help BUT is known to raise bg in some people. There is another less effective diuretic called Amiloride which doesn't raise bg. There are also quite a range of vegetables and herbal teas which are mild diuretics eg: https://www.healthline.com/health/natural-diuretics#2

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It was a broken navicular bone, removed and replaced with donar bone a metal plate. It just seems a long time.

Now why did I know (guess) that is what it would be .... that's a serious injury. Elite (super fit) Australian footballers have been sidelined with them for over 12 months. The recovery time doesn't surprise me at all

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some swelling in my right foot and ankle, cause unknown. I am currently taking Furosemide, a diuretic, which does help BUT is known to raise bg in some p;eople. There is another less effective diuretic called Amiloride which doesn't raise bg. There are also quite a range of vegetables and herbal teas which are mild diuretics eg: https://www.healthline.com/health/natural-diuretics#2
I was on Furosemide for a over two years prior to my heart bypass and for about six months after. I never had any problems with raised bg at any time.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I broke my 5th metatarsal about 18 months ago. I was told it would heal in about 6 weeks if I stayed off it, but 6 months later the break was still visible on the xray and I still needed the crutches. Seems the diabetes slows down healing. It's much better now, but I still get some pain and use the crutches now and again if I'm walking a long way or on uneven ground. Hang in there!