Indian food, low carb

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd like to experiment a bit with Indian food. (I've been watching a bit to much of the loveley foods Masood is selling in Eastenders.) Most of the dishes like korma of tikka massala, can be eaten. But it's the rice, poppadums, naan etc. that accompanies the dishes. The rice is easy, I can use the cauliflower rice. Just not sure wether to add anything. What do you use?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing... I usually just have a meat dish and a veg dish.. something like chicken tikka with a spinach or aubergine dish.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I will eat two Popudums as they are around 3.6 carbs each with my homemade curries, with a side dish of steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli. It is best to make your own as shop bought and jars are full of sugar

Reactions: Ineke and caius2x8

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make saag paneer sometimes and curried cauliflower florets - use Iceland frozen green veg rice if I have it- if not I find frozen sliced green beans a great carrier for curries

Reactions: Ineke

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to experiment a bit with Indian food. (I've been watching a bit to much of the loveley foods Masood is selling in Eastenders.) Most of the dishes like korma of tikka massala, can be eaten. But it's the rice, poppadums, naan etc. that accompanies the dishes. The rice is easy, I can use the cauliflower rice. Just not sure wether to add anything. What do you use?
I love Indian food, I tend to go for chicken tikka masala, a popadom and if I’m hungry enough a portion of Iceland cauliflower rice.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will eat two Popudums as they are around 3.6 carbs each with my homemade curries, with a side dish of steamed Cauliflower and Broccoli. It is best to make your own as shop bought and jars are full of sugar
The Lloyd Grossman jars are not too bad, the Bhuna is 21g per jar, so shared between 3 people that's 7g each. In addition to the meat we add peppers, tomatoes and onions to the sauce to bulk it out. Bhuna is the families choice but it is not hot enough for me so I add some Encona Hot pepper sauce to my portion.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I can get away with 3 small pieces of Bombay potato and 2 tablespoons of chick peas but when I tried a tablespoon of rice it spiked me badly. Spinach and veg curry is no problem for me. I had an Indian take-away yesterday.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How do you make your celeriac rice, Mel? Do you just chuck it in the food processor, like cauliflower rice?
I bought it in Waitrose :smug: I don’t currently have a food processor that can make the veggie rices, so I surf the reduced counter for it!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I tend to buy in curries as treats as the Waitrose and M&S meal deals are very low carbohydrate.

I treat it in much the same way as other meals; just eat the low(ish) carbohydrate stuff, and consign the nan breads and rice to the same oblivion that potatoes and bread have already been lobbed in.

In my biased opinion we have been brainwashed into including bulk carbohydrates as fillers because they are cheap and make the good stuff go further. Once you avoid them then after a while you tend not to notice.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah ok, I did notice the Waitrose at the train station I travel to/from every day had some in the other day so I might give it a try.

I do like cauli rice though - not so much on its own but I fry it with mustard seeds, lemon zest, spices and add toasted almonds and it's fab. It is nice to have something different though so might experiment with celeriac rice.

Reactions: Arlmy and LooperCat

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Any kind of meat and vegetable works for me. YUM!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I like to eat Indian food out but I do find that the sauces have sugar in them. (I can taste it.) I cross my fingers and hope to goodness it is very little.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to know cho count of poppadums. ;-) So its 7.2 for 2, 60g for the rice, 60g for the naan, 100g for 7 beers. Aaah nothing better a good vindaloo ;-)
Only joking.
Mine wud b typically:
2 poppadums 7.2g
1/2 rice 40g
The currry 0g ?
A couple 1-2 beers, call it 2 30g
Total: 77.2g
Whereas at home
Id probably have no poppadums, 33g cho from rice, 1 beer 15g = 48g cho.

Hmm, just as i dont eat out too much.
Although lately both at home and out i'm more and more to water ir tea with dinner which is quite refreshing.

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I make saag paneer sometimes and curried cauliflower florets - use Iceland frozen green veg rice if I have it- if not I find frozen sliced green beans a great carrier for curries
Iceland os Sainsburys i think. Try
Mysupermarket.co.uk
Thats one i try to find the cheapest full fat coke - getting increasingly rare - as hypo recovery aid.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
how do you make it?
I melted a dollop of coconut oil in a pan and gently softened a diced red onion. Then I added the usual Indian spices - cumin, coriander, chilli, cardamom pods, saffron, bay leaves etc and fried them for a minute or two. The celeriac rice went in next, and I stirred it around until it was coated in the spicy oil, and after a few minutes I added 300ml of veg stick and simmered for ten minutes or so. I had to take some of the stock out as it was a bit wet, so I’d just add 200ml next time. Still, it made a nice mug of broth ;)

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I like to eat Indian food out but I do find that the sauces have sugar in them. (I can taste it.) I cross my fingers and hope to goodness it is very little.
Yes the sugars worry me also with the jars or takeways as I do not know what is in them. I have all the spices in my cupboard. so I make my own. Doesn't take long