Quinoa and pearl barley

Nicki484

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Has anyone eaten quinoa or pearl barley on LCHF?
Does this spike glucose badly?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At around 30g carbs per portion of quinoa and about 40g carbs per portion of pearl barley they seem pretty high to me. They aren’t things I’ve ever tested, never really ate them before diagnosis. You’ll only know how your body reacts by testing.

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might be able to eat a tiny amount - but why would you?
I am hounded on another forum where people are not so nice as on here, as I am always recommending eating things with more nutrition than grains - as grain is not a good choice unless it is a tiny amount added to a huge green salad or mound of fresh veges (or cooked from frozen) - but I stick to my philosophy that foods should be something fresh and delicious - and grain just isn't either.

Reactions: Smita

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Has anyone eaten quinoa or pearl barley on LCHF?
Does this spike glucose badly?

Nicki - The best thing you can do is try it and see what happens. If you test before you eat, then two hours after your meal, you'll soon see if you can tolerate it or not.

We're all different and some can eat stuff others just can't, so it really isn't a one-size fits all thing.

Also, if you do see a big number on your meter, it'll likely help with any craving you might have had - a bit like aversion therapy! (Sorry, I'm smiling when I type that last bit. :()

Reactions: SueO246

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
I agree testing is the most accurate method to determine how you react. I don't have a meter and too frugal to purchase one. What I do is eliminate the food product from my diet if there is a strong possibility that it will cause my glucose to rise. When I do have a strong craving for something I will limit the amount to 1 tablespoon or less per month. A few days ago my wife and kids had ice cream for an after dinner desert. 1 spoon of ice cream is all I needed. It tasted much too sweet. If you don't have the will power to stop after 1 spoon then don't do this.