Pros and cons of official diagnosis?

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
Any doctor who thinks that an initial A1c of 50 and a couple of months later of, let's say, 38 no longer has Type 2 Diabetes is wrong in my opinion.

You will have had two HbA1c tests to confirm the initial diagnosis and (again, in my opinion) you will always be Diabetic even if you are considered in Remission or Reversal or have been given the tag of Resolved.

I would advise you to carry on monitoring your bg levels and striving for good management of the condition and at your next review go armed with the knowledge that there is no 'Cure'.... yet.

Edited to add.
Even though 50 could be considered borderline Pre Diabetes/Type 2 Diabetes my thoughts are the same, though other people may have differing opinions. Read up and then make your own mind up. Good luck.

Guzzler are you saying that if the HbA1c is over 50, no matter what follows one is always technically diabetic? Is it usual to have 2 tests [presumably at least 2 months apart?] to diagnose T2D? I'm still very confused by all the information and how diabetes works. You say that an HbA1c of 50 could still be considered prediabetic, I was under the impression that 48 was the cut off point?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Guzzler are you saying that if the HbA1c is over 50, no matter what follows one is always technically diabetic? Is it usual to have 2 tests [presumably at least 2 months apart?] to diagnose T2D? I'm still very confused by all the information and how diabetes works. You say that an HbA1c of 50 could still be considered prediabetic, I was under the impression that 48 was the cut off point?

The cut off point is, indeed, 48. And yes, two HbA1c blood tests are done to confirm a diagnosis, this is to make sure that no lab error has been made. The time between the tests varies, it can depend on something as simple as how busy your Practice is as per getting an appointment but ususally between a couple of weeks to a month.
The cut off points between non Diabetic numbers and Pre Diabetes numbers and those of Type 2 Diabetes are set as parameters but as the HbA1c is an calculation of the average number of glycated cells over a period usually of eight to twelve weeks this means that the boundaries can seem blurred. The word cusp springs to mind here.
As to your question about once a Diabetic always a Diabetic, this can be a contentious issue on the forum. My firm beleif is that as there is no known cure for T2 Diabetes the best that one can hope for is remission, reversal or control. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Happyhomelands

With an HbA1c of 50 and a FBG of above 7, that is enough for a diagnosis of T2. Sometimes a second test is done within 2 weeks of the first, to confirm the HbA1c. Your nurse was satisfied this wasn't necessary. However, your GP should have done the second test within 2 weeks of the first if he wanted to confirm it. As he didn't you can assume you are T2. It should be on your records already. Are you in England? If so your surgery is supposed to put your records on line, and this should include any diagnosis. If you ask your surgery how to register for test results on-line you will be able to see all your test results and diagnosis.

If subsequent tests come back with normal levels, you are still diabetic, but in remission/well controlled/ whatever you want to call it.
Thank you for explaining this to me. I think I need to take notes with me when I go back. My glucose levels have plummeted with diet and exercise so I will be disappointed if the HbA1c has not followed suit. I think all things considered i would like the diagnosis in my notes to read type 2 in remission so that it's accurate. I'm certainly not planning to go back to my old ways. Thanks again for replying it will help me to speak confidently with my GP. In retrospect its a pity I didn't get a second test straight away.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
The cut off point is, indeed, 48. And yes, two HbA1c blood tests are done to confirm a diagnosis, this is to make sure that no lab error has been made. The time between the tests varies, it can depend on something as simple as how busy your Practice is as per getting an appointment but ususally between a couple of weeks to a month.
The cut off points between non Diabetic numbers and Pre Diabetes numbers and those of Type 2 Diabetes are set as parameters but as the HbA1c is an calculation of the average number of glycated cells over a period usually of eight to twelve weeks this means that the boundaries can seem blurred. The word cusp springs to mind here.
As to your question about once a Diabetic always a Diabetic, this can be a contentious issue on the forum. My firm beleif is that as there is no known cure for T2 Diabetes the best that one can hope for is remission, reversal or control. Hope this helps.
Yes thank you, you have certainly clarified my question.

poots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s important to have an official diagnosis because if the diagnosis is correct and you do have type 2 then it’ll be very important to have regular check ups, diabetic eye exams, medical equipment, etc in order to treat the condition.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Happyhomelands

Thanks I am firmer in my conviction now. Ill write the evidence down and discuss it with the GP. If he resists there is enough to argue my case. I just need the diagnosis to be accurate as you have explained.

Reactions: Alison Campbell