Getting pregnant and having a baby

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I wanted to ask you all something. I want to have a baby/get pregnant at some point, but just not right now- I am only 27.
My family and friends are pressuring me to have one with my fiancé as they say it’s too risky to leave it any later. Its making me feel very unsure, and I’m getting worried.
I don’t want to leave it too late, so that it does become a problem. But I am unsure if it really is too much of a problem anyway?! I’ve been trying to find info online and nothing seems to state about age, diabetes and getting pregnant.

Any advice would be great, thanks for reading. Megan x

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was 37. But it was a rough pregnancy.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know very little about being type 1 and having a baby.

I do believe that the right time to have a child is when YOU want one, regardless of whatever well meaning input other have into it. What does your fiance think?

To be blunt, I get cross about friends and family pressuring people into having a family. Its a huge commitment. Have my best wishes.

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am type 1! My fiancé is ready whenever I am ready. I am just panicking. I agree it should be when I feel right to have a baby, but I don’t want to risk the chance of having a baby if i leave it too late. Xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m type 1 and have been for 13 years. I’m currently pregnant with my second. If I’m honest with you my control hadn’t always been perfect before I fell pregnant and I fell very quick with my first and Evan quicker with second ..

You should try for a baby when your ready not when your family want you to.
You’ll need to take folic acid for 6 months before contraception ( what’s what my team told me ) and make sure your hba1c is less then 7%.

You can be perfectly healthy and take years to fall pregnant! I do just think it’s how fertile you are, you just need to plan it more then someone without diabetes.

It is a big commitment and it’s hard but totally worth it!
I would definitely talk to your diabetic team and maybe go to the pre contraception clinic, doesn’t mean you have to start trying just means you have the option too
Hope that helps x

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your advice. Very reassuring :)
I was pregnant before but that was 10 years ago, so I’m guessing I’m quite fertile. I will deffo plan it.
Good idea to talk to the diabetes team, they can help to reassure me I hope!
Can’t wait for the experience! Do you think it matters about age? This is my main concern xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for your advice. Very reassuring :)
I was pregnant before but that was 10 years ago, so I’m guessing I’m quite fertile. I will deffo plan it.
Good idea to talk to the diabetes team, they can help to reassure me I hope!
Can’t wait for the experience! Do you think it matters about age? This is my main concern xx

That’s great you’ve already been pregnant
How is your overall control?

Hun your only 27, I’m 25 so your only 2 years older then me, I know some Health professionals say age matters but I think if your fertile your fertile. It took me 2 weeks to fall with my second .. it was planned for 6 months prior but only came off birth control 2 weeks before! I didn’t expect it to happen that quick just be calm and do not stress, that won’t help! I had the think of ‘ it will happen when it happens ‘

Xx

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My control is ok, but will hopefully get even better as am planning to be on the pump in a couple of months :)
Gosh that is amazingly quick, crazy!!
I’ll try not to stress, maybe I just won’t discuss with family! Hehe.
Thanks again xx

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My control is ok, but will hopefully get even better as am planning to be on the pump in a couple of months :)
Gosh that is amazingly quick, crazy!!
I’ll try not to stress, maybe I just won’t discuss with family! Hehe.
Thanks again xx

Going onto a pump was the best thing I ever did! If you ever need any advice I’m always here just drop me a message and if I can help I will.

Yes very quick I was thinking Atleast 6 months haha!

Just tell them you’ll do it in your own time no worries xx

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I was 38 with my 1st (and so far only child). Tried for 4 years and had to go down the IVF route in the end. I don't want to worry you but I wish we had started way earlier than we did cos I presume if we hadn't left it so late we might have fallen naturally. But you're only young so do it in your own time. Good luck! xx

Reactions: CranberryIce

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply. I thinks it’s important I hear lots of life stories, so I am prepared. Thanks for the honesty x

Reactions: kitty55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love your cat and I think you should try for a baby when you want to, not before. Although I agree that it would be wise not to wait until you're 36 or so.
The family and friends who are pushing you are all endocrinologists, midwives, diabetic nurses and gynocologists I presume? Because otherwise, how did they all have access to this information if it's so hard to find something about it on the internet?

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love my cat too!! I’m not sure how family has got this info but I think my dad was told this years ago by a consultant...... so everyone else seems to have gone with this- and they obviously haven’t looked it up!
Yes 36 would be later then I would want to have a baby.
I’m in two minds about it just because I would like to get married first (am engaged). Ooooo such decisions! X

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think my dad was told this years ago by a consultant......
Well, if you read around this forum a bit you'll see lots of outrageous things consultants have said, so I wouldn't take that one too seriously. Maybe when they start nagging again you could ask them for data that shows you shouldn't wait, as you couldn't find any. That should shut them up.

Reactions: Meghalton

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I’m in two minds about it just because I would like to get married first (am engaged). Ooooo such decisions! X

Totally 100% in the same boat as I was. We wanted to get married first and more important to me was to get a permanent contract at work first as I was stuck with 1 year contracts for a while. :). You'll get there though! I love your cat too by the way! xx

Reactions: Meghalton

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We all love cats!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!
Thanks for advice all :) the more opinions the better for meeee x

Reactions: Antje77

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1