Reversed Diabetic retinopathy by Low carb diet/low blood sugare!

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I'm just back from my eye test and I had a new doctor that had never seen me before (or read my journal obviously) and she said "No signs of Diabetic retinopathy yet", maybe not such a fantastic thing, but the fact is that for the last 3+ years I have had mild Diabetic retinopathy, so I'm healed, cured! I have reversed whatever damaged there was!!!!!!!

Some more history, I have had type 1 diabetic for the last 35+ years.
I took an eye test about 3.5 years ago and for the first time, they said I had 3 distinct dots in my left eye, before I have only had small things that they have said is probably no issues, and which was gone at the next check. I did one more check the next year and the three dot were still there!

During this time (3 years ago) I started low carb/ketogenic/Bernstein diet, I dropped my HbA1c from about 7.9(63) to between 5.8(40) and 5.6(38). In my next eye test the three dots where gone, I think this was after about half to one year after I started low carb, but I still had what they called mild diabetic retinopathy at the peripheral of the eye. I had the same eye doctor for a few times and he said that it was getting better but he still diagnosed me as having 'mild diabetic retinopathy'. But today I had a checkup with a new doctor and she said: "No signs of Diabetic retinopathy yet"! I had to correct her and said that I used to have, but it was now gone! Healed! Cured!!! She did ask a few questions about what I eat and so on!!!

So although anecdotal, I can confirm that for me it was possible to heal a mild Diabetic retinopathy by lowering your blood sugar to an HbA1c range below 5.8(40) for about 3 years!!

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!
I'm just back from my eye test and I had a new doctor that had never seen me before (or read my journal obviously) and she said "No signs of Diabetic retinopathy yet", maybe not such a fantastic thing, but the fact is that for the last 3+ years I have had mild Diabetic retinopathy, so I'm healed, cured! I have reversed whatever damaged there was!!!!!!!

Some more history, I have had type 1 diabetic for the last 35+ years.
I took an eye test about 3.5 years ago and for the first time, they said I had 3 distinct dots in my left eye, before I have only had small things that they have said is probably no issues, and which was gone at the next check. I did one more check the next year and the three dot were still there!

During this time (3 years ago) I started low carb/ketogenic/Bernstein diet, I dropped my HbA1c from about 7.9(63) to between 5.8(40) and 5.6(38). In my next eye test the three dots where gone, I think this was after about half to one year after I started low carb, but I still had what they called mild diabetic retinopathy at the peripheral of the eye. I had the same eye doctor for a few times and he said that it was getting better but he still diagnosed me as having 'mild diabetic retinopathy'. But today I had a checkup with a new doctor and she said: "No signs of Diabetic retinopathy yet"! I had to correct her and said that I used to have, but it was now gone! Healed! Cured!!! She did ask a few questions about what I eat and so on!!!

So although anecdotal, I can confirm that for me it was possible to heal a mild Diabetic retinopathy by lowering your blood sugar to an HbA1c range below 5.8(40) for about 3 years!!
Absolutely fantastic that is, I have only been following dr Bernstein’s approach for almost 8 months and have background retinopathy that needs no treatment as of yet. That’s been showing now the last 3 eye tests so for around 4 years. I’ve been diabetic 18 years now. My next eye test is due around may, which will be 10 months after going low carb. Hopefully I have haulted anymore retinopathy and over time will heal like you have. It is possible from what I’ve read from dr Bernstein. You have just proved it also. Well done on changing your outcome. Be very very proud and enjoy your great news. :)

Reactions: Stefans

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news! do you all have any links or article to recommend on Dr Bernstein? TIA
I suggest buying his book, https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernstein...1519035787&sr=8-1&keywords=bernstein+diabetic
It is a boring book, but it is good!

you can also see his videos, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuJ11OJynsvHMsN48LG18Ag
also quite boring :) but again solid info.

He also has a website, http://www.diabetes-book.com/ I have not seen it before, just googled it, it looks like some chapters of the book is free online.

Reactions: lefeilouss

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wonderful! My last four or five retinopathy reports have come back as “mild changes due to diabetes” but not requiring treatment. Three dots here too. I went to my optician for my annual eye test last week, and she couldn't see any sign of them, so she reckons I’ve reversed mine too - she had the scan photos so knew what she was looking for. I’m also doing low carb/keto and have normalised my blood sugars after years of being high. So there’s another bit of anecdotal evidence, N=2 ;)

I’ve also noticed the feeling coming back in my toes :smug:

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefans and BananaK

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
Same for me this year. Got the official letter last week retinopathy gone from mild last year to no signs this year.
Keto diet seems miraculous (but I kinda knew that already...)
Well done. It says so much for Keto doesn't it? Who would want to be on any other diet?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had signs of retinopathy when first diagnosed in 1997.
Since then, having established good control of my sugars with a combination of diet and medication,
I have had retinal screening results that vary year on year between “mild background retinopathy” and “ no signs of retinopathy”.
Any dietary or other change that produces good blood sugars is pretty much guaranteed to reverse early signs of retinopathy - its no miracle, just good control

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations one and all on those reversals. Fantastic results. :)

Reactions: sarahm723

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! That is so fantastic! Very happy for you.
It’s so inspiring to hear of others successes.

ketointheuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you did so amazing, and let me tell you, your family is so lucky to have you care and take care of yourself this way. I am saying this cause my mother (type2 since 1995) has such bad retinopathy that has now basically gone blind. 2 years ago I went back living with her trying to help her, turn her diet around knowing that going low carb would have helped as it helped me... she did it barely for the month I was there, day after I leave she's back on pasta shusing people so they don't tell me...
now she is basically incapable of taking care of herself and has isolated herself cause sight is so fundamental! and she had a chance to sort it and she preferred... pasta???
Honestly, thank you for sharing this, it somehow feels like at least, even if I failed to help my mother, it's nice to know the solution works for people out there to never end up in the same situation

Reactions: lefeilouss