Night time Q.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A nocturnal puzzle for everyone to contribute 5 penny-worth please.
Do you check your BG before you go to bed?
If you do, what is the minimum BG acceptable for you to sleep happily?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A nocturnal puzzle for everyone to contribute 5 penny-worth please.
Do you check your BG before you go to bed?
If you do, what is the minimum BG acceptable for you to sleep happily?

Hi Sue - I'm and un-medicatedT2 routinely running pretty low numbers, so I won't comment on what I might or might not do, as it's a red herring for your T1 status.

I think you'll find the responses you receive will show it's likely to vary. Some prefer a bit of leeway in their numbers for any potential sneaky overnight hypo situations, whereas others run quite tightly once they have their basal doses well-tweaked and their insulin on board seems to have expired. Do you have decent hypo-awareness?

I hope you'll receive some T1 responses soon.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I do not test before bedtime unless I feel dizzy or weak sweaty etc. its not the time of day but my bodily feeling which dictates testing outside of mealtimes for me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends completely on what I've been doing/eating/injecting in the last hours and on how stable my bg has been during that time and in the past couple of nights.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi Sue - I'm and un-medicatedT2 routinely running pretty low numbers, so I won't comment on what I might or might not do, as it's a red herring for your T1 status.

I think you'll find the responses you receive will show it's likely to vary. Some prefer a bit of leeway in their numbers for any potential sneaky overnight hypo situations, whereas others run quite tightly once they have their basal doses well-tweaked and their insulin on board seems to have expired. Do you have decent hypo-awareness?

I hope you'll receive some T1 responses soon.
Thanks, I'd really like info from other. Now about hypo awareness. In terms of the numbers, I've had instances which numerically would be considered hypos, twice going to 2.9. I've never had any awareness of them, perhaps feeling a bit chilly but that's it. Is that decent?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I was told not to go to bed on less than 6.5.

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Must go to bed on 7 to see me through I think you will find it is better above.5 if possible.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
And 2.9 is a hypo so not great overnight if you are not waking and treating. How is hypo awareness during the day?

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like to be around 5s and most time just have a biscuit not sure if that helps or more of an excuse for a biscuit but I do stay steady through the night

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I like to be around 5s and most time just have a biscuit not sure if that helps or more of an excuse for a biscuit but I do stay steady through the night
@Sobo82 are you still not taking a bolus dose? Lack of bolus means you have less risk of overnight hypos.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
And 2.9 is a hypo so not great overnight if you are not waking and treating. How is hypo awareness during the day?
2.9 is a new one for me. Thanks. Hypo awareness is nothing more than feeling a bit chilly and hungry

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Happy to go to bed on a 6. As long as I have not had any qa insulin within the last 4 hours. With qa in me within the last 4 hours like to be 8. If under a couple of biscuits with a decaf coffee before bed, as I always drop a few mmol.

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The safety net of the dexcom at night is reassuring, so I’m happy to go to sleep in the steady 5s (but not a falling 5).

Though I also eat early enough so that I don’t have short acting insulin within 3 hours of sleep.