Fiasp

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was seen at clinic yesterday and my main problem is pre bolusing on work days.. It's just not possible. In the morning I need a 50-60min pre bolus and 30mins at other times. This leaves me with high spikes I chase endlessly on work days. My next problem is that my Levimer is running out after 10hours. I split my dose into two am and pm. He is changing my insulin to fiasp and ?(can't remember the long acting).

Has anyone had good experience with fiasp? I don't know too much about it apart from a question I asked a while back on this forum which (I could have picked up wrong) I get the impression it's not great.

Also I forgot to ask at clinic but is my insulin resistance completely down to me being overweight? If I lost weight would I still have to pre bolus as far in advance? I'm type 1 but the last few years quickly gained 50lb (trauma and depression led to this) and now also take metformin. I'm struggling with the weight loss. Any tips on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Last question is I have been given the libra on prescription (praise God). Do I still have to check with my meter before driving?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Fiasp is great as long as you use it correctly, it's def not a miracle insulin but yes I've had very few problems with it.

Your insulin resistance will improve with weight loss, so you need to set yourself a realistic goal for each week/month that way you don't become disheartened if things don't go to plan some weeks. Look at what you are eating and the amount you eat, then put thinking cap on and decide do you really need to eat that particular food or is there an alternative with less carbs/calories.
Also remember exercise will burn of more calories for you as well.

The libre can not be used instead of finger pokes for the use of driving neither can you use it to calculate your meal bolus.
Good luck with it all.

Reactions: sjm1308

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was switched to Fiasp last year and have mostly found it a positive change from Novorapid. I found my pre-bolusing times were able to be roughly halfed across the day through trial and error. It seems Fiasp hasn't worked well for some pump users but I'm happy with it on MDI. There's loads of info and data at @tim2000s site about Fiasp.

You can't use a libre reading before driving - DVLA still require a blood test result on a meter.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re driving, yes, you do still have to check your meter - the DVLA does not consider CGMs as evidence, and given the known potential accuracy issues, certainly with the libre, even if that did change I would still be finger prick testing.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On novorapid I had to pre-bolus by 30 to 45 minutes, with fiasp I inject when my food is in front of me. I love the stuff!

h4kr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m moving onto fiasp tomorrow. Good to read positives. Will be a bit of a learning curve for me, only been on novorapid for 2 months, but post meal spikes are high and hypos regular. Moving to this to see if it helps.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using Fiasp for about 6 months. Not perfect but better than NovoRapid, I never pre-bolus. Great at fast corrections. I did find at about 3 to 6 weeks of use it became a a little unpredictable don't know why but settled down after that.