Pump choices

tim_h

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, Our 12 year old son was diagnosed 10 months ago with type 1 and recently our PDSN has recommended pump therapy for him. We think we've come to a decision, but I wondered if there are any other things I should have considered that I haven't thought of. Any pointers would be very useful.

We have attended a pump info session and met the reps from Roche, Medtronic and Ypsomed.
So we have the choice of the following pumps:
Accu-Chek Insight
Accu-Chek Combo
Medtronic 640G
Omnipod

We initially thought we would want to go for the omnipod system due to it's lack of tube, but have discounted this as our son can be forgetful and often misplaces his belongings, we are worried that loosing the handset is going to cause us a problem that's going to be a constant worry. Having a pump that is actually attached to him and can be controlled without a part to lose is essential for our needs.

This has led us to the conclusion that the Medtronic would probably suit him best as this is self contained and all bolus calculations are on board the unit. If he enters his carb values into the pump, he is then not able to misplace it as he is attached to him!
I appreciate it is possible to also lose a test meter, but we have spares at school and at home.

We have also been using the Freestlye Libre system since the end of October, and are finding it invaluable.If we go onto the Medtronic pump we will consider using the Medtronic CGM system as I think the Auto Suspend feature would give us some additional peace of mind.

As additional information, I am reasonably technically savvy and have managed to get nightscout and xdrip+ working from a Sony Smartwatch on the Libre sensor. I have started reading about some of the amazing work going into DIY closed loop systems and would like to choose a pump that may work with this in future, but of the options available I don't think this is possible at present?

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My daughter has a medtronic 640 with enlite sensors and would most certainly lose a handset..i prefer the libre as only need changing every 14 days not 6 but the ability of the enlites to talk to the pump is fab and does prevent serious hypos

Reactions: JudyLee

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @tim_h I was diagnosed at the same age as your son back in 1970. I'm now on my second pump.

Can I suggest that you think about making a list of the main things you need from the pump and then score each one against that list. there will always need to be a compromise but then at least you can see between them what is the better set up for you.

I do a lot of sports where sometimes my pump is not accessible (inside a dry suit), so one of my conditions was I needed remote access (a handset), but also when I'm out and about I do like to manually enter as needed too without the handset. I trialled an Omnipod and really liked it but it concerned me about the need for only remote control and what if I lost it when travelling etc.

But I'd grown out of football and rugby so a wire free Pod was not one of my needs, I'm sure if I was back at 12 yrs old the Omnipod would be my choice, you can carry insulin pens as a backup if you misplace the handset (ask your hospital if they hold spare handsets) also insurance can cover 24hr replacement too. http://insurance4insulinpumps.co.uk/

Last edited:

eabhamurphy

I use the Medtronic and the enlite sensors. I used the libre for years before. The suspend function is incredible particularly at night. This would be wonderful for a child as it would mean sleeping through the night without hypos etc (with some user adjustment to basal rates etc) and it's been life changing for me.
Speak of glucose monitoring: The enlite also gives much more accurate readings than the libre does. I agree the changing every six days is a pain compared to the two weeks you get with a libre but it cannot compete with the enlites communication with pump. There are ways to get more life out of an enlite sensor that I've been able to use but have only tested them briefly beyond the 6 days. I will try more once I'm approaching end of funding and more importantly not pregnant.
I use the insurance company as mentioned above, about £7 a month. Definitely worth having separate insurance.
Pumps are great! My only experience is the Medtronic but I've had such a positive experience with all aspects.

tim_h

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the responses. It has given us more to think about, especially as we had not thought about insurance.
As Chas suggests we will make a list of pros and cons to help with the decision.

Reactions: Chas C

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter has a medtronic 640 with enlite sensors and would most certainly lose a handset..i prefer the libre as only need changing every 14 days not 6 but the ability of the enlites to talk to the pump is fab and does prevent serious hypos
hiya, im looking to go onto the same pump and certain the nhs won't fund my sensors, do you know how much they cost in the uk?

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Medtronic and the enlite sensors. I used the libre for years before. The suspend function is incredible particularly at night. This would be wonderful for a child as it would mean sleeping through the night without hypos etc (with some user adjustment to basal rates etc) and it's been life changing for me.
Speak of glucose monitoring: The enlite also gives much more accurate readings than the libre does. I agree the changing every six days is a pain compared to the two weeks you get with a libre but it cannot compete with the enlites communication with pump. There are ways to get more life out of an enlite sensor that I've been able to use but have only tested them briefly beyond the 6 days. I will try more once I'm approaching end of funding and more importantly not pregnant.
I use the insurance company as mentioned above, about £7 a month. Definitely worth having separate insurance.
Pumps are great! My only experience is the Medtronic but I've had such a positive experience with all aspects.
what did you have to do to get them to be only £7?! that sounds incredible!