hi all im new to the group

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started slimming world about 5 weeks ago and ive noticed changes in my blood sugar levels ,,, before i started it was between 15 & 30, Im on 4 80mg gliclazide 2 in a morning and 2 at night plus 2 slow releasing metformin 500mg and 1 froxiga 10mg but my sugars have plummeted to between 4 & 9 ,, Im abit concerned about taking as many gliclazide tablets. but been told today that i should keep taking all my tablets as normal by my doctor ,,, even tho my sugars levels have dropped to 5.6 .. surely taking the 2 gliclzide at night is abit dangerous as they are 2 help bring my sugars down ,,, anyone else having the same issue or is it just me ,,, thanks in advance

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started slimming world about 5 weeks ago and ive noticed changes in my blood sugar levels ,,, before i started it was between 15 & 30, Im on 4 80mg gliclazide 2 in a morning and 2 at night plus 2 slow releasing metformin 500mg and 1 froxiga 10mg but my sugars have plummeted to between 4 & 9 ,, Im abit concerned about taking as many gliclazide tablets. but been told today that i should keep taking all my tablets as normal by my doctor ,,, even tho my sugars levels have dropped to 5.6 .. surely taking the 2 gliclzide at night is abit dangerous as they are 2 help bring my sugars down ,,, anyone else having the same issue or is it just me ,,, thanks in advance

Hope this helps and welcome
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done bringing those numbers into range. That's quite a shift.

How long have you been taking your Gliclazide, and do you test your bloods before going to bed? Have you ever experienced a hypo, and do you know what to do should it happen?

I don't ask that to frighten you, but just to make sure you know what to do.

I have never taken Gliclazide, or any of your other medications, so I have no personal experience to offer you, but it does make sense that you keep a decent eye on those numbers. When are you next due a chat with your Doc or Diabetes Nurse?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the Forum. I can’t comment on your Gliclazide as I don’t take it myself. However it’s good news that your sugars are so much lower. You obviously have a meter so you can keep a close eye your levels.
Hopefully someone who is more familiar with Gliclazide will be along soon to help you..

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done bringing those numbers into range. That's quite a shift.

How long have you been taking your Gliclazide, and do you test your bloods before going to bed? Have you ever experienced a hypo, and do you know what to do should it happen?

I don't ask that to frighten you, but just to make sure you know what to do.

I have never taken Gliclazide, or any of your other medications, so I have no personal experience to offer you, but it does make sense that you keep a decent eye on those numbers. When are you next due a chat with your Doc or Diabetes Nurse?

I have been taking the tablets over 2 years and i always keep an eye on my sugar levels but more so recently because ive felt a change in my body ... i know about hypo's,, its the tablets i have an issue with .. i dont have my bloods taken for another 2 weeks then 2 weeks later i am in to see my diabetic nurse ,,so the time scale is abit of a concern also ... even tho i have seen a doctor today

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the Forum. I can’t comment on your Gliclazide as I don’t take it myself. However it’s good news that your sugars are so much lower. You obviously have a meter so you can keep a close eye your levels.
Hopefully someone who is more familiar with Gliclazide will be along soon to help you..

thanks for the info and welcome ,,, i do tend to keep an eye on my blood levels ..

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking the tablets over 2 years and i always keep an eye on my sugar levels but more so recently because ive felt a change in my body ... i know about hypo's,, its the tablets i have an issue with .. i dont have my bloods taken for another 2 weeks then 2 weeks later i am in to see my diabetic nurse ,,so the time scale is abit of a concern also ... even tho i have seen a doctor today

We aren't Doctors here, so can't advise you on dosing. If you elect to change your approach in any way, then only you can take that decision.

In your shoes, I'd be keeping a close eye on those numbers, and if they drop any further then certainly get back onto your medics.

In the meantime, ensure you have something at the ready, to treat a hypo, should one arise. Do you have anything suitable? If so, what is it and when did you last have to treat a hypo?

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We aren't Doctors here, so can't advise you on dosing. If you elect to change your approach in any way, then only you can take that decision.

In your shoes, I'd be keeping a close eye on those numbers, and if they drop any further then certainly get back onto your medics.

In the meantime, ensure you have something at the ready, to treat a hypo, should one arise. Do you have anything suitable? If so, what is it and when did you last have to treat a hypo?

i have never had an hypo its just what i have read . i have tins of cola on hand 4 a quick fix

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have never had an hypo its just what i have read . i have tins of cola on hand 4 a quick fix
OK, that's a sensible hypo treatment, assuming it's not the sugar-free option.

Keep some by your bedside, just in case.

Have your Doc or Nurse given you an indication of a number under which you shouldn't go to bed? Some people do that - especially those taking insulin or blood glucose lowering drugs, like Gliclazide.

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, that's a sensible hypo treatment, assuming it's not the sugar-free option.

Keep some by your bedside, just in case.

Have your Doc or Nurse given you an indication of a number under which you shouldn't go to bed? Some people do that - especially those taking insulin or blood glucose lowering drugs, like Gliclazide.

Yes the doctor told me today not to take my gliclazide if my bloods went below 5 the problem is they are now only 5.3 so takin the tablets could cause an hypo in my eyes ,,, thanks 4 your advice anyways

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on gliclazide for 21 years
I was initially told not to go to bed with sugars below 7 without having a small snack (around 10g carbs) before bed.ive relaxed bg level that over the years in line with how my body works but it might be a good starting point if youre Concerned about going too low over the next few weeks unti you see gp

icawol625

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on gliclazide for 21 years
I was initially told not to go to bed with sugars below 7 without having a small snack (around 10g carbs) before bed.ive relaxed bg level that over the years in line with how my body works but it might be a good starting point if youre Concerned about going too low over the next few weeks unti you see gp

thanks 4 the info boo i think youve helped take some of my concerns away thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes the doctor told me today not to take my gliclazide if my bloods went below 5 the problem is they are now only 5.3 so takin the tablets could cause an hypo in my eyes ,,, thanks 4 your advice anyways

I'd suggest you err on the side of caution. Have a snack if you feel worried.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . .ive noticed changes in my blood sugar levels ,,, before i started it was between 15 & 30, Im on 4 80mg gliclazide 2 in a morning and 2 at night plus 2 slow releasing metformin 500mg and 1 froxiga 10mg but my sugars have plummeted to between 4 & 9 ,, Im abit concerned about taking as many gliclazide tablets. but been told today that i should keep taking all my tablets as normal by my doctor ,,, even tho my sugars levels have dropped to 5.6 .. surely taking the 2 gliclzide at night is abit dangerous as they are 2 help bring my sugars down ,,, anyone else having the same issue or is it just me ,,, thanks in advance

Well done, things are moving in the right direction. Your improved numbers are because of your improved diet AND the medication. I can't advice but would recommend "baby steps" and "don't run before you can walk".

I used to take 2 X 80 mg Gliclazide as well as Januvia and Metformin, before I lowered my carb intake to about 40 gms a day. My BG was dropping much lower than 4 so I was confident in cutting back, with the GP's agreement. I only take Metformin now but it's been a battle because my body decided that as I wasn't giving it any carbs to speak of, it would use protein and fat to make glucose, but at least 4 years low carbing kept my BG well controlled, more extreme measures a re required now, VLCD for a start.