Sandwich fillers

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
almond butter and chia raspberry jam....yum! Cheese is ok left out for a couple of hours - think wine and cheese parties - and then add all kinds of yummy vegs and butter! You can even use the lettuce as your bread spread with cream cheese - delightful really:) Cheers/L

Reactions: Happyhomelands

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you eating sandwiches? You are labelled as a diet only T2 on your profile. Or is it low carb bread?
I eat sandwiches. I eat 2 slices of bread a day. I do wish people would stop this "You cant eat any starches, you are not a low carber if you do" nonsense.

Low carb is under 120g a day. Its up to the individual, their general health, their own meter readings and how low they wish to go.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I eat sandwiches. I eat 2 slices of bread a day. I do wish people would stop this "You cant eat any starches, you are not a low carber if you do" nonsense.

Low carb is under 120g a day. Its up to the individual, their general health, their own meter readings and how low they wish to go.
Glad I read your posting, it brought me back to earth. I think, because of becoming a bit obsessed with low carb I was about to write something a little along the lines of "why bread?" then I realised I was probably just jealous of food gone by. Thanks

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad I read your posting, it brought me back to earth. I think, because of becoming a bit obsessed with low carb I was about to write something a little along the lines of "why bread?" then I realised I was probably just jealous of food gone by. Thanks
I think you're actually right to query "why bread?" Not everyone is able to eat higher carb food with impunity, and this should be kept in mind when offering (or reading!) dietary advice. And sometimes it's necessary to query things to make sure we're reading from the same page.

The original low carb diet was created well over a century ago (pre insulin and othe diabetic meds) to try to help diabetics manage their glucose levels via carbohydrate restriction. And there is a well documented and well defined list of high carbohydrate foods to be avoided. The diet is more about the type of carbs to eat or avoid, rather than the quantity, and I think (at least for many of us) this still holds true.

If someone makes an informed choice to eat a reduced carb diet and still eat high carb food then that shouldn't ever be an issue. But where a problem can arise is if they then decide to reinvent the standard low carb diet to fit their choices, and also begin to object if other members do keep to these standard recommendations and give what is actually correct advice or information. Such objections can at best result in biased or incorrect beliefs and cause further confusion to often already well confuddled new members, and at worst result in someone with serious carbohydrate intolerance choosing to eat the wrong types of food and possibly ending up with unpleasant complications.

Robbity

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I think you're actually right to query "why bread?" Not everyone is able to eat higher carb food with impunity, and this should be kept in mind when offering (or reading!) dietary advice. And sometimes it's necessary to query things to make sure we're reading from the same page.

The original low carb diet was created well over a century ago (pre insulin and othe diabetic meds) to try to help diabetics manage their glucose levels via carbohydrate restriction. And there is a well documented and well defined list of high carbohydrate foods to be avoided. The diet is more about the type of carbs to eat or avoid, rather than the quantity, and I think (at least for many of us) this still holds true.

If someone makes an informed choice to eat a reduced carb diet and still eat high carb food then that shouldn't ever be an issue. But where a problem can arise is if they then decide to reinvent the standard low carb diet to fit their choices, and also begin to object if other members do keep to these standard recommendations and give what is actually correct advice or information. Such objections can at best result in biased or incorrect beliefs and cause further confusion to often already well confuddled new members, and at worst result in someone with serious carbohydrate intolerance choosing to eat the wrong types of food and possibly ending up with unpleasant complications.

Robbity
Great to read this. Very cogent. I agree totally

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robbity

Isn't the problem in the label, rather than the act of eating bread?

If a person is eating sub-130 gr carb a day, they're eating LC, aren't they? To be honest, it is my personal view that it is far more important that new members learn how to manage their number into a better place, by self testing, and usually modifying their diet alongside. OK, that might involve giving up some higher carb foods, but if a member finds themselves able to eat bread, chips, or whatever, then fair play to them.

Many people seem to find that they have their own personal rocket fuel; whether that be grains, root veg, fruits. In my view sticking to a list is unimportant. The results of testing are important.

I think I'll rebrand my diet, Doris.

To be honest, if a person can eat bread and remain within their health targets, then who am I to complain? Surely we are all balancing our tolerances, attitude to risks and a wider family/community life?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb simply means eating a specific amount of carbs up to 130/120gm . What foods we get them from is simply a matter of which foods suit us and could include Bergen soya and linseed bread, Lidl rolls or whatever bread we can eat without problem so sandwiches do not have to be off the menu for those who can eat bread

Last edited:
Reactions: serenity648

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Two slices of bread a day can be fine.
I think a lot of us have an aversion to having bread around because of the "just another slice; won't make that much difference" temptation.

Back to the original question; almost anything will be fine if you take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you need it.
Now thinking of tuna mayo. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My feeling is most (or many) new comers are unaware of the fact carbs raise blood sugar levels. All they know is to cut out sugar and fizzy drinks and follow the Eatwell plate. They need to understand that all carbs turn to sugar, and that certain carbs are worse than others. This includes bread, of course.

I advise newcomers to eat to their meter and use a food diary, and I explain how to do it (as best I can), and of course by doing this they will learn which are their personal danger foods. If I did anything else I would be guilty of telling them to do what I say and not what I do, because I eat potatoes, and that includes chips and an occasional half pack of crisps on a salad. But, if they aren't warned about these major carbs they are less informed and may struggle to understand their own testing results.

I agree we shouldn't say eliminate bread, spuds, pasta, rice etc. Equally, we shouldn't be encouraging them to eat bread or whatever .... and this can be implied by saying we eat them without qualifying that our meters tell us we can eat certain portion sizes.