just seen DN for first time

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
(NAFLD is fat on the liver, and is often the first stage in Type2 diabetes)

This was my thinking when I needed to remove the fat from my liver, I got it down form “The GP is panicking” to “normal levels” within 2 months.
  • We know that alcohol is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no alcohol at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that fructose is directly converted into liver fat, therefore no fruit juice at all until your GCT is normal.
  • We know that dried fruit contains a lot of fructose therefore….. (Dates are VERY bad)
  • We know that most fruit contains a lot of fructose, therefore no fruit other than a few berries….
  • Half of table sugar is fructose; therefore no food or drinks with added sugar….
  • The total sugar content in all the foods you eat/drink in a day should be under 5g, hence you can’t eat any ready meals, or takeaways etc until your GCT is back to normal.
Then we are on to what we know will help losing liver fat and you have two options to choose between.
  • Very low carb, with no bread, flour, pasta, below ground veg etc – personally I think it is best to go for as low a carb intake as you can then consider increasing your carbs once your GCT are back to normal levels. (If you want a book “A New Akson For a New You” and keep to the first two phases of the diet until your GCT are normal.)
  • Or “very low calorie diet” being the Newcastle Diet, LighterLife or the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” – but people often undo the benefits when they go back to normal eating less they limit their carb intake. (The first two use pre-packed “shakes”, the “8 Week Blood Sugar Diet” use real food.)

All the above will result in a drop in BG, therefore if you are on any drugs with a risk of Hypos, you need to carefully monitor your BG and get your GP to reduce the dose as your BG comes down. Likewise with high blood pressure.

----------

Exercise will also help a little but will do nothing without a radical change in diet.
  • Don’t remain sitting for more than 20 minutes at a time, just standing up and walking 2 or 3 steps has benefits.
  • A 10 minutes walk after each meal will help.
  • Resistance training and HIIT are the best options if are able and willing to use a gym.
I agree with everything you say except the comments on exercise Ringi. I find that exercise is the best way for me to tackle BG spikes. I can get a spike down quickly by spending 15 minutes walking briskly or 10 minutes on my bike. You don't need a gym either. Walk up and down the stairs at home 10 times twice a day and you will tone the largest muscles in your body in your thighs and buttocks. Use bags of sugar as weights and flex your triceps (It's the only good use you can put sugar too).
Any exercise is good for you, but especially so if you are struggling to keep to your diet. Diet and exercise together are all most people with T2 need to turn their lives around.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
really appreciate your reply.. my problem is underlying health problems.. microvascular angina.. high bp.. asthma.. ckd stage 3.. NAFLD and diverticulitis.. DN said diabetes could have affect on conditions and vice versa.. so i need to do my best to control diabetes and not let HBA1c level rise
That's spot on Manhattan. I thought that the conditions I had were just bad luck; a feature of my age. Clearly they weren't. Now that I am following a healthy lifestyle all my other health issues have materially improved. I hope the same happens for you.

Reactions: eggs11 and Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with everything you say except the comments on exercise.

The issue with exercise is that people often "reward" themselves with more food when they have done it. I often go out for a 10 or 20-minute fast walk after a meal etc, but the leading low carb experts are now telling people not to exercise until they have lost some weight and feel like exercising. (Its as much about only asking people to make the most important changes (low carb), then it is about questioning the benefit of exercising.)

(And everyone already knows they should be exercising, therefore advising people to do so, normally does no good.)

Reactions: whitech

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
what fruit should i eat and what should i avoid?
Here is a great little recipe book for type 1 and type 2 diabetics I got as a birthday present. In the middle, it classes all the foods to generally avoid and those you can eat with immunity!
20180219_210148.jpg
20180219_210104.jpg
20180219_210046.jpg

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Manhattan, welcome, glad you are getting all kinds of suggestions here and I shall add some more!

It might be a good idea to plan your meals and try to not snack between meals as that gives your gut and pancreas a rest....Also close the kitchen at 7 or 8 and don't eat until breakfast the next day - again to give you GI tract a rest...MyFitnessPal.com is a good starting point for logging your food intake and giving you a visual of the amount of carbs you are actually eating - it's surprising how many carbs are in cooked carrots even! This should help in figuring which foods to avoid or greatly decrease the amount you eat. This is a long journey that you are embarking on so the sooner you find what you can live with the more success you will have. Blessings/L

This may all sound redundant as I posted a few hours ago but computer was acting up and see it actually didn't post then! Sorry!

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good for you, what a relief it must have been to see that everything was so good. Keep up the great new habits!

I go for my first visit to the diabetic nurse tomorrow. I’m a little nervous but hope I do as well as you.

Reactions: manhattan

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don't eat fruit and limit the amount of berries I eat too. There is nothing in fruit that you can't get from low carb vegetables.
except the mouth-zinging acidic tang:D

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
i think tomatoes are playing havic with my diverticulitis.. have a feeling bananas might be guilty as well.. and i love them both lol.. can still manage the strawberries lol
My sister's got the diverticulitis and she eats sultans. I know they're high in sugar but it keeps her regular... sorry, too many details

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister's got the diverticulitis and she eats sultans. I know they're high in sugar but it keeps her regular... sorry, too many details
Did you mean sultanas? One of few useful bits of advice I got on a diabetes course was to imagine dried fruit as fresh. A handful of sultanas is probably a big bunch of grapes.

Reactions: SueJB

manhattan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
really appreciate your reply.. my problem is underlying health problems.. microvascular angina.. high bp.. asthma.. ckd stage 3.. NAFLD and diverticulitis.. DN said diabetes could have affect on conditions and vice versa.. so i need to do my best to control diabetes and not let HBA1c level rise
the pr
i appreciate the info and humour lol

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Did you mean sultanas? One of few useful bits of advice I got on a diabetes course was to imagine dried fruit as fresh. A handful of sultanas is probably a big bunch of grapes.
I agree but I wasn't suggesting a whole bunch. When I eat almonds, I don't eat the whole tree. Everything in moderation and a few sultanas help with the loo problems:happy:

Reactions: manhattan

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just thinking how good my skin was looking - I am over a year from diagnosis and have been doing low carb ever since, and I have no dry skin, my hair - although rather thin, is dark and glossy.
I do eat a little fruit - mostly frozen mixtures, a small cup rather than a bow,. with cream, but I avoid starchy foods as much as possible, but do eat lots of salads and lower carb veges - also lots of eggs, cheese, meat and fish. I feel great.
Very similar for me with regards to diet. My skin was pretty good before but has improved in clarity since following low carb, another win in my view.

Reactions: SueJB and manhattan

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
not gonna test.. eat my usual fruit intake.. banana,, satsuma.. strawberries.. grapes in moderation
If you carry on eating fruits, especially bananas and satsumas, it's possible you won't see much drop in A1c, these fruits are high in sugar(fructose), which also makes them high carb. The fruits diabetics may be able to eat are berries(raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cranberries etc) and not in large amounts, or even every day. If you don't test you don't have any idea what might affect your blood sugar adversely. Have a large banana then test at 1 and 2 hours after, you may be surprised...............

Reactions: dbr10
S

Sani Thomas

@helensaramay

True and I will admit to having a Fruit addiction before diagnosis. If you include berries I was on 6-7 pieces a day which may have contirbuted to my condition.

I was told that a low carb diet for the non special people (non diabetic) is 130g so a moderate on could be 150-200g per day, whereas most of us are on less than 100.

I am not in favour of the nanny state but I do expect any expert to be just that - a knowledge fount. With my initial diagnosis, I was just a little surprised that they don't give me more precise advice like avoiding banana's, looking at a low carb diet etc. It took a NHS funded course (and this website) to open my eyes. I have seen 2 differnt DN's over the last 8 months, one was supportive of the whole LCHF approach to diet,the other....wasn't but as I told my wife (and she agrees) the HBA1C results are the proof, as is the weight loss, reduced chloreserol, reduced triglycerides etc.

I still eat berries, avoiding or eating small amounts of the higher carb ones i.e. blue berries but even then I include them for variety.
I think that you should request to see a dietician. S nurse would not have the detailed knowledge you would need. I did and first saw a community dietician, didn't learn much. But then I saw the dietician from the diabetic team and this made the difference.
Best of luck

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you carry on eating fruits, especially bananas and satsumas, it's possible you won't see much drop in A1c, these fruits are high in sugar(fructose), which also makes them high carb. The fruits diabetics may be able to eat are berries(raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, cranberries etc) and not in large amounts, or even every day. If you don't test you don't have any idea what might affect your blood sugar adversely. Have a large banana then test at 1 and 2 hours after, you may be surprised...............
Shocked, probably.