Co-Amoxiclav - has anyone taken this? How did it affect you?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi everyone. I’m taking Co-Amoxiclav for an animal bite that became infected and 5 days in I’m feeling dizzy, high bs that won’t come down, nauseous, yuk! It could be a ‘bug’ and there are no warnings on the drug info sheet about diabetes but I’m wondering if anyone else has found it affected bs. Just trying to eliminate possibilities for symptoms.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had high blood sugar all the time I was on it, and definitely nauseous. Also very drowsy. That said, 5 days in, I would consider speaking to your GP again. It's difficult to dissect out side effects from symptoms.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you! I’ve had a super-low day yesterday and a high refusing to come down today - very afraid of stacking as I try to get it down and crashing during the night. Not taken this evening’s dose, also worrying, as bacteria must think they’ve landed at McDonalds. Can’t face continuing with dizzy nausea!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had it for a UTI, but all I remember about it is I felt pretty lousy the whole time, but then I tend to find antibiotics make me feel almost as bad as the UTI.

How is the bite looking, because I'd be giving that a really good going over, just in case.

I'f agree, a quick chat would be sensible. Do your Docs do telephone consultations?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, will definitely request a telephone conversation tomorrow. I’ll take the last dose today just before sleep so that symptoms aren’t felt. And I know those bacteria need to be shown the door. Poor you with a UTI. Him indoors gets them as he’s had trouble ‘down there’ (wave hands in that direction like Les Dawson) and they make him feel utterly appalling.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, will definitely request a telephone conversation tomorrow. I’ll take the last dose today just before sleep so that symptoms aren’t felt. And I know those bacteria need to be shown the door. Poor you with a UTI. Him indoors gets them as he’s had trouble ‘down there’ (wave hands in that direction like Les Dawson) and they make him feel utterly appalling.

Thankfully a rare occurrence for me. I find it takes a few days to get the antibiotics out of my system, if I have to have them.

Fingers crossed for you tomorrow.

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
most antibiotics affect my levels but co-amoxiclav and nitrofuriton are the worst! they both give me either really stubborn lows or even more stubborn highs! I’ve been told that antibiotics won’t affect my blood sugars but these two types most definitely do!
Strangely enough I am okay with amoxicillin (the liquid) but not co-amoxiclav (which is amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid).
From my own research, Clavulanic acid strengthens the effect of antibiotics, but apparently there is no effect known for blood sugar levels.

I think the only way I managed to get around the hard to control levels (which did actually land me in DKA once as my blood sugars were just HI (blood test at a&e later showed they were 39mmol) was to stop the antibiotics, and my symptoms resolved immediately, however please do speak with Your doctor, they may change the antibiotic for something a bit more ‘friendly’ lol x

good luck :)

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone! I really don’t want the bacteria to win - I quite like the leg they’ve invaded and want to keep it healthy - so I’ll be seeking the doc’s advice. The last dose is tomorrow morning so I may just grin and bear it. With lots of correction doses! It’s oddly reassuring to know you’ve all had similar responses to Co-Amoxiclav despite the lack of warning on the blurb. Did you report it to the drug co?

DBolding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve had it loads of times. It doesn’t affect my BG at all. However if I’m really bad I will be placed on steroids too (for asthma) which then makes insulin seem like tap water.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes steroids are the devil’s children!

Reactions: DBolding

Twinkle_star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I’m taking Co-Amoxiclav for an animal bite that became infected and 5 days in I’m feeling dizzy, high bs that won’t come down, nauseous, yuk! It could be a ‘bug’ and there are no warnings on the drug info sheet about diabetes but I’m wondering if anyone else has found it affected bs. Just trying to eliminate possibilities for symptoms.
I've had loads of antibiotics including co-amoxiclav and this one I find good for skin problems. although maybe the first day I might be a little higher than normal once it is in my system and working I find if any thing I go down to normal range really well. Be aware that symptoms of nausea high BG Tec can be signs of infection or reaction to animal bite too. That said I had a reaction to ceftriaxone and spent 6 days on a drip and vomiting (was already in hospital)so would get medical advice if get worse. Maybe correct high BG with caution and allow a bit of time between corrective insulin doses or your medications. Most antibiotics upset but a bit as I'm sure you know. Hope it's better soon .

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you. It’s better. I moaned about what might have been a reaction to it but the antibiotic has completely cleared the infection. Life must have been very difficult without them.