Holiday! Travelling with extra insulin....

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi All,
I'm going away in a few weeks and wondering how best to travel with extra insulin (keeping spare pens cool). I've seen some cool bags on Amazon but not sure if that's the best place to look.
First time going abroad since being diagnosed.
Also any1 know any companies offering decent travel insurance for diabetics?
Thanks
Georgiee

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long are you going for? How many pens are you taking, and what temp do you think you need to keep them below?

Reactions: Georgiee

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember to get your European Health Insurance Card (if staying within Europe) even if you take it personal health insurance. It's in the small print off most policies that you must have one even with the extra insurance you've paid for.
Use a Frio bag or 2 for keeping insulin cool.

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This trip is only for 7 caneries. I'm new to all this diagnosed around 3mths ago so was taking 1 insulin pen and spare and 1 novorapid as I'm not really using but always carry 1 just in case I need to infect before I eat. Also looking to go Thailand around November for around 19 days so I think I'll be getting temp in the late 20's humidity will be high from what I've reading.
So guessing I will need to take more pens but can always purchase something bigger for that trip.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve used TopDog for travel insurance, not sure how they measure up against all the others pricewise but they were excellent when a friend had to seek their help.
Frio bags too, they come in different sizes. I can get two pens in the smaller and four vials plus glucagon in the larger. I put them inside a cool bag for extra insulation. If you have access to a fridge when you get there then that’d be useful but make sure it’s not too cold. And keeping Frio and cool bag in the shade as much as possible is advisable if you’re going somewhere hot.

Have a lovely time!

Reactions: Georgiee and Dodo

Georgiee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Remember to get your European Health Insurance Card (if staying within Europe) even if you take it personal health insurance. It's in the small print off most policies that you must have one even with the extra insurance you've paid for.
Use a Frio bag or 2 for keeping insulin cool.
Yes I have one of these don't travel without it.

Stevec189

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take the insulin as Hand luggage. Never put Insulin in the hold. Some sort of cool bag maybe useful and sometimes security want the Insulin in the clear plastic bag - all depends. With regards insurance there are loads of companies that offer insurance for people with existing health conditions - worth shopping around. Costs us a fortune with all the things my wife and I have but it is possible. Have a great trip!

Reactions: Georgiee and Dodo

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
I'm going away in a few weeks and wondering how best to travel with extra insulin (keeping spare pens cool). I've seen some cool bags on Amazon but not sure if that's the best place to look.
First time going abroad since being diagnosed.
Also any1 know any companies offering decent travel insurance for diabetics?
Thanks
Georgiee
hi georgiee try insurefor.com thats who i use very reasonable while travelling i carry extra insulin in hand luggage then when i arrive at hotel i keep spare insulin in fridge i never took cooler bags with me just kept my daily insulin in normal bag just kept it out of the sun hope this helps :)

D

Deleted Account

I always use Frio bags to keep my insulin cool when travelling.
They don't need power or cold - just water at any temperature.

They may cost a little more than normal cool bags but are designed and sized for insulin pens and last for ever (at least mine are more than 12 years old and still going strong).
I have never found a need for extra insulation (and have travelled in some pretty hot climes without any electricity).

I echo the comment about keeping your insulin in your hand luggage and would add to keep all your diabetes kit and spares in your hand luggage in case your hold luggage goes missing en route.
Take twice as much of everything compared with what you think you will need. That's not just twice as much insulin but also twice as many needles, lancets, test strips, hypo treatment, ... than you think you will need.
If you have pre-filled pens, take twice as many. If you have cartridge filled pens, take twice as many cartridges and spare pens.

I always take a doctors note with me in case anyone queries what I am carrying.

And, above all, have a wonderful holiday.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Almost any Travel Insurance company will cover diabetes but may increase the premium or exclude it if not paid. I have Frio bags but not sure of their value. I work on the basis that my Novo Levemir will last 6 weeks out of the fridge and Novorapid 4 weeks. The leaflet doesn't say what happens when you keep just below room temp in a Frio bag? I rely on a fridge being available when staying overseas. When is someone going to produce a small USB powered semiconductor-cooled fridge?

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I travel lots, if no fridge then frio bags work very well. Insulin will only last 4-6 weeks out of a fridge at around 15c, as it gets hotter then it reduces, at around 40c it only lasts me about a week.

I keep my spare pump cartridges and spare pens in a frio or two.

If you run out Insulin is easily available throughout the world and as I found in India - not expensive.