Normal Fasting but High Post meal readings

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for this. 5 eggs in a day are too much? I thought eggs were great as they are low in carbs but Happy to Be corrected?
Eggs only contain 0.6 grams carbs per large egg, so you are right, they are pretty low carb, although obviously the more you eat the more the carbs add up. Whether eggs should be limited for health is controversial. Many people would only eat 2 or at most 3 a day. Others don't limit them at all. Some find too many eggs leads to constipation. Unlike some of my fellow Forumites, I don't think your wife should jump straight away into a very low carb/high fat diet. This may not be necessary, and being a vegetarian will make it more complicated. (The only truly carb-free foods are fish, flesh, fowl and fats!) However, here is a link to a site advocating a keto/very low carb diet, not because I am recommending that for her at present, but because it shows in visual form the lowest and highest carb foods.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/foods

Reactions: Stay healthy

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take the opposite view, that is is best to start with very low carb, then once BG is back to normal levels, use your BG to see if more carbs are an option. (But do remember to add a little more salt then you are used to.)

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning,
Plan for today:

Breakfast - quakers oats
Snack - almonds (handful)
Lunch - 3 eggs
Snack - peanuts (handful)
Dinner - 2 eggs

Let’s see how it goes !
Ok based on advice here we had a change of plan for today.
Breakfast - quakers oats
Lunch - Mix Veg bowl ( peas, beans, sprouts and cheese) + 2 eggs.
also few peanuts before lunch !

Before meal - 7.4
2 Hours After meal - 7.2

and she feels full! thumps up :)

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Forgive me but it looks like your wife may be from an Asian background, due to the food references such as chapatti. If so (and even if not) you might want to perform a search on Youtube for the following Public Health Collaboration (should be the alternative UK health reference body in my opinion) video:

Type 2 diabetes in South Asian’s Achieving control in general practice Dr Kesar Sadhra

This has some tested alternative ways of making chapatti's with minimal spikes. I have tested the flour used and it is superb; another alternative is lo-dough.
That video is really good for us. helped me a lot. thanks for suggesting.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You win this battle "one meal at a time", and having your own BG meter lets you see when you are winning without having to wait 3 months for the next A1C test result.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
That video is really good for us. helped me a lot. thanks for suggesting.
Glad to be of help. This site helps one build confidence and knowledge, due to the advice I have listened to, I am am at my lowest weight in over 20 years. If you need any further help just put your requirement, and so long as it is not a direct medical diagnosis answers will follow.

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
so we are getting to understand our carbs bit better but still trying to work out meal plans. The readings yesterday and today were not bad (all under 7.4) and we visited the nurse who suggested we don’t need medication as of now as long as we continue with our diet control and exercise. However, dinner time readings got me thinking again ...they were 6.2 (before dinner) and 9.1 (2 hours after dinner) with 20gms carbs . I am starting to think if we should ever have more than 10gm carbs at a time?
Well we will now stop testing every day and test only once every couple of days to see how we are progressing. I will keep u guys posted! Thank you for reading :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so we are getting to understand our carbs bit better but still trying to work out meal plans. The readings yesterday and today were not bad (all under 7.4) and we visited the nurse who suggested we don’t need medication as of now as long as we continue with our diet control and exercise. However, dinner time readings got me thinking again ...they were 6.2 (before dinner) and 9.1 (2 hours after dinner) with 20gms carbs . I am starting to think if we should ever have more than 10gm carbs at a time?
Well we will now stop testing every day and test only once every couple of days to see how we are progressing. I will keep u guys posted! Thank you for reading :)

I do wonder if you’re a bit premature dropping readings every day. Your phrase “we are ... still trying to work out meal plans” and the fact that her reading went up by more than two at dinner time would indicate to me that you are still trialling different foods/meals. It’s not always the number of carbs but the type, some spike later if they are slower absorbed. What did she eat for dinner tonight, was it particularly fatty as that would make for slower absorption?

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I do wonder if you’re a bit premature dropping readings every day. Your phrase “we are ... still trying to work out meal plans” and the fact that her reading went up by more than two at dinner time would indicate to me that you are still trialling different foods/meals. It’s not always the number of carbs but the type, some spike later if they are slower absorbed. What did she eat for dinner tonight, was it particularly fatty as that would make for slower absorption?
She had 2 low carb burgers (4.9 gm carbs each) without bread and some chick peas salad (with dressing) . Yes we’re are still trying different foods to see what we can eat confidently without spikes.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She had 2 low carb burgers (4.9 gm carbs each) without bread and some chick peas salad (with dressing) . Yes we’re are still trying different foods to see what we can eat confidently without spikes.

Carbs can hide in many surprising places, and it is easy to underestimate portion sizes. Please don't stop testing yet. It is far too early. You will make mistakes. Something in that meal disagreed with her - chickpeas? The dressing? The contents of the salad?. With me it would have been the chickpeas.

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, we have had some good readings for the past few weeks ( all under 10 and mostly between 7 and 8.5) however we are very concerned based on what the nurse just told us.
They are trying to identify if we are type 1 or type 2 and we just have our c-peptide test results back. The nurse says the results are inconclusive and we need to wait for another HB1AC result before they can suggest the next course of action. As per her the pancreases are not completely dry i.e. we are not a type 1 however the insulin levels are low and hence they cannot say that we are not type 1 either. The consultant has advised us to have another HB1AC end of March and see if its coming down naturally ( we are not on any medications) .
Totally confused and not sure what to think - is it good or not so good?

Nov 2017 Hb1AC 99
Jan 2018 HbA1c 69
BMI normal. No symptoms
Diet only.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your medical team isn't panicking and seems to still be in an investigative groove. If they're willing to wait until the end of March to see what's happening, it's not urgent and I think it would be safe to assume that, while worrisome, no-one is in any immediate danger.

You're regularly testing, you've managed to somewhat stabilise your BG - personally (not a medic) I think you're doing really, really well. It's natural to worry, especially with such big question marks. But if your medical team are still more concerned with being thorough than being fast, I think you can relax a little.

Sock x

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Your medical team isn't panicking and seems to still be in an investigative groove. If they're willing to wait until the end of March to see what's happening, it's not urgent and I think it would be safe to assume that, while worrisome, no-one is in any immediate danger.

You're regularly testing, you've managed to somewhat stabilise your BG - personally (not a medic) I think you're doing really, really well. It's natural to worry, especially with such big question marks. But if your medical team are still more concerned with being thorough than being fast, I think you can relax a little.

Sock x
many thanks. We are just not sure why would c-Peptide be so inconclusive. have been reading about LADA ( Type 1.5) as well since my wife had acute pancreatitis as a child.

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
question - is a reading of 8.2 2 hours after Dinner for a diabetic person who is on no medication ok?
wife is eating low carbs and while we wait for if we are type 1 or type 2 or type 1.5 I want to know if the readings are "acceptable" . They occasionally go up to 9.2 but have been all under 10 for the past 4 weeks or so.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
question - is a reading of 8.2 2 hours after Dinner for a diabetic person who is on no medication ok?
wife is eating low carbs and while we wait for if we are type 1 or type 2 or type 1.5 I want to know if the readings are "acceptable" . They occasionally go up to 9.2 but have been all under 10 for the past 4 weeks or so.
As with everything it depends on what they were before eating and what was eaten I'm afraid.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly, without more information about exactly what your wife's diabetic status is (and that's down to your medical team and lack of diagnosis, not you), it's hard to say. But, put it this way, it's not wildly bonkers. It's not ideal, but in the short-term it shouldn't cause her significant harm.

T1, T2 and other "Ts" all set themselves different definitions for "okay", and even within those generalised sets, you have individual targets and markers.

It's difficult, and you're clearly very anxious (and rightly), but from what you've described, you have a good, attentive, determined medical team behind you who want to get the right diagnosis instead of simply shrugging and hanging you an easy "T1 with surprises" type of diagnosis. You have to just try to relax a little and trust them - it's tough, especially as you've got nothing firm yet to start building on, and you're posting on a forum filled with people who are very fluent with their own readings, which all seem to be much lower than those your wife is currently getting.

Do remember, for the most part, the posters on these boards will be much further along their journeys than you and your wife are: the confidence, fluency and control that you read in others here will come to you both in time. But, for now, you're a runner at the starting line of your race, waiting for the starter to shoot their pistol and not yet aware of what distance you're facing.

Take a breath, shake it off, go somewhere nice with your woman and spend some time just being together and letting the world swirl around you for a few hours. It'll do you both the world of good.

Sock xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do remember, for the most part, the posters on these boards will be much further along their journeys than you and your wife are: the confidence, fluency and control that you read in others here will come to you both in time. But, for now, you're a runner at the starting line of your race, waiting for the starter to shoot their pistol and not yet aware of what distance you're facing.
Completely brilliant analogy Sock..

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Honestly, without more information about exactly what your wife's diabetic status is (and that's down to your medical team and lack of diagnosis, not you), it's hard to say. But, put it this way, it's not wildly bonkers. It's not ideal, but in the short-term it shouldn't cause her significant harm.

T1, T2 and other "Ts" all set themselves different definitions for "okay", and even within those generalised sets, you have individual targets and markers.

It's difficult, and you're clearly very anxious (and rightly), but from what you've described, you have a good, attentive, determined medical team behind you who want to get the right diagnosis instead of simply shrugging and hanging you an easy "T1 with surprises" type of diagnosis. You have to just try to relax a little and trust them - it's tough, especially as you've got nothing firm yet to start building on, and you're posting on a forum filled with people who are very fluent with their own readings, which all seem to be much lower than those your wife is currently getting.

Take a breath, shake it off, go somewhere nice with your woman and spend some time just being together and letting the world swirl around you for a few hours. It'll do you both the world of good.

Sock xx
Good advice specially about the posters being more mature than we two are now.
We need to relaxxx a bit. cant stop thinking what s the worst case scenario but will try and not think too much for now. Thank you very much :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802