Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Amazing results Robert D so well done you You say you have a low carb low fat diet which I find interesting when the general advice here is low carb higher fat ..LCHF. Most will say if you do low carb then you have to increase the fats to make up for eating les carbs and this is the advice usually given to new T2 diabetics joining this group. When I was diagnosed T2 about 2 years ago...only just over 7 the BG level for diabetes and not overweight....I did lower my starchy carbs but I do not like red meat or full fat dairy I do have olive oil avocados, olives and a few nuts low fat dairy and lots of vegetables so basically eat much the same as I always did much the same as I always did but just with lower carbs but much lower fat than many here do where the trend is mostly to have cream, butter, the fat on meat and fried breakfasts A lot here say doing low fat for years made them ill but I am 78 in good health and apart from the T2 have no other medical problems so do not think it did me any harm
Thank you so much, you are right @Pinkorchid to go with what works for you and because I don't awake thinking what rules do I have to follow today i.e low or high fat on a low carb regime, my focus is now purely on weight maintenance management which is the easiest bit of the whole programme, I have personally found.
I weigh myself daily. If I put a couple of pounds on that may be simply either water retention or slight regime change or simply skipping a daily walk over the Christmas period say. The main thing is to monitor and adapt quickly to any change to keep things in check and that means I don't lose sight that a small amendment is so much easier than having to rectify a big change in either weight or sugar levels.
If that means I have a low fat regime to achieve that and don't feel weak (and I don't, honest), than so be it. I'll leave others to be judgmental on why one must increase the fats, I haven't and I am where I am.........And finally, well done on your sterling efforts to keep your sugar levels at the best you can, by a healthy fat (Avocados etc) eating regime , so no doubt you will keep the consequences of high blood sugars at bay and will avoid all diabetic complications. I see another 30 years of healthy agile living in store for you..... Congrats!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is so refreshing to hear from someone...Robert D.. who is controlling his diabetes by doing something different to what is usually advised here .There is some reluctance on the forum for members not to say if they do something different to LCHF for fear of criticism and being told it is wrong ..which has happened in the past... but we should respect whatever people do even if it is different to what we do our self. no one way suits everyone

linhil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations. Inspirational. Your post and this forum just what I needed. Very keen to never go on diabetes meds and control this issue. And get off the statins I currently take. Tried hard not to have to go on them but finally my USA Dr said i had to!! I have a sneaking feeling the statins have put my blood sugar levels up?...but not 100% sure!

So I just started a low carb and higher fat eating regime. Already lost a couple of pounds and my blood sugar better. I'm currently in New Zealand for 6 months; and using a USA meter; but in UK terms was low 8's now mid to high 6's Plan to keep better records of test results. Only been testing in the mornings. Like the idea of making a spread sheet and logging bs 3 or more times a day to get better info.

Thank you all for your input. So encouraging ...amazing to read about so many folks reversing their diagnosis when all i have heard in the US and here is diabetes is not reversible!!

Robert_D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates and lack of testing strips being supplied due to NICE rules.
Congratulations. Inspirational. Your post and this forum just what I needed. Very keen to never go on diabetes meds and control this issue. And get off the statins I currently take. Tried hard not to have to go on them but finally my USA Dr said i had to!! I have a sneaking feeling the statins have put my blood sugar levels up?...but not 100% sure!

So I just started a low carb and higher fat eating regime. Already lost a couple of pounds and my blood sugar better. I'm currently in New Zealand for 6 months; and using a USA meter; but in UK terms was low 8's now mid to high 6's Plan to keep better records of test results. Only been testing in the mornings. Like the idea of making a spread sheet and logging bs 3 or more times a day to get better info.

Thank you all for your input. So encouraging ...amazing to read about so many folks reversing their diagnosis when all i have heard in the US and here is diabetes is not reversible!!
Keep up the good work @linhil it will be worth it. You might be interested to know that I too was on Statins (20mg Altorvastatin) until end of July '17 and have been on 1.8 grams of Plant Sterols daily instead of the Statins originally prescribed.
My last Cholesterol test undertaken Mid December '17 came back within normal acceptable parameters and this was achieved without requiring a Statin intervention of any kind.

The December 2017 results were as follows-

Serum Cholesterol Level 4.6 mmol/L
Serum Triglyceride Levels 1.2 mmol/L
Serum HDL Cholesterol level 1.2 mmol/L
Serum LDL Cholesterol level 2.9 mmol//L
Serum Cholesterol /HDL ratio 3.9 mmol/mmol
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 3.4 mmol/L

And remember all this was achieved whilst the body was a minimum of 4 months Statin free!...

Last edited:

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really would like to try what you did. OK you did not count calories but all you ate was some almonds, salad, tender stem broccoli ? And then the salmon or tins of mackrel. What else? Its not that I find this very extreme but I do want people to think they too can do this.

Hi Sylvia, My results ( see signature) have all been achieved following an LCHF diet with a huge variety of foods , nuts,avocados, meat, fish, shellfish, diary, eggs, cheese, pate, above ground vegetables, onions, the occasional carrot and even potato, berries, cream, butter. About 1200 calories in total which ended up 60% fat, 20% protein, 15% carbs and 5% whisky. I avoided refined carbs, sugar, flour, rice , past fruit, pulses and bread. I avoided Omega 6 oils like the plague and I embraced saturated fats.
In other words I enjoyed a very varied diet of some fabulous foods, lost 25kg in the process and normalised my blood sugars. Recently I have found that event the occasional " sin" ( eg a chocolate brownie and ice -cream) hasn't cause much of spike either.
My diet is thus utterly different from the one outlined above and STILL worked - why ? because I too avoided anything that caused my blood sugar to spike and I also started to leave longer between meals to enable my insulin levels to come down. Many other people can report success on here, using different versions of the same basic idea, real foods , no junk or processed, carbs either as an absolute ( VLC) or as a proportion of the total (LCHF) where overall we control the quantity of food compared to our previous habits.
The point is that there are dozens of ways to skin this particular cat . the key is - use the meter, if it spikes you don't eat it and in the main eat real foods that you cook yourself. You will soon find out which foods you can eat and which it is best to avoid.
Good luck !

Mimi's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The simple answer is no I don't feel weak. If I am hungry I have an occasional extra tin of mackerel in brine or some extra radishes.
What I have noticed is my appetite has dramatically changed. I eat less because I feel less hungry. I feel less hungry as a direct consequence of eating low carb not because of any drop in calories. I don't count calories at all so don't need to address what my previous conditioning regarding food may have prompted me to consider re food intake. And finally my weight fluctuates at best by 2-3 pounds at most and a little extra walking (30 minutes) and it adjusts back after a couple of days but other than that, weight loss has stopped. It appears that the body self regulates once you hit a minimum weight level and you need very little to maintain it in reality.
Bottom line is, that I am no longer preoccupied by food because of the dropping of carbs like pasta, potatoes and cereals and the removal of all meds is a release psychologically of control over my life that I no longer have to justify, it just is......
Wow! Hats off to you! Hope you are doing fine !