Queries on gestational diabetes

saurav35

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear All,

My wife has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes and she is in 35 weeks of pregnancy.

She is on insulin being given 4 times a day with dosage of 4-4-4-6 mg. She is on strict diet and does brisk walking after food.

Doctors have advised to have the range for fasting 70-90 and after food 110-130.

Her current numbers are 91 in fasting and 145ish after food

My questions are following

1. Is the range given above is fine for gestational diabetes ?
  2. Should she continue this dosage of insulin ? Will there be any side affect of insulin ?
  3. Can she eat oranges of kinnow hybrid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinnow ? Does she need to eat oranges with or without juice ?
  4. Any other comments you have on our current situtation and diagnosis ?

Best Regards,
Saurav

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @saurav35 Welcome to the forum :)

What care is your wife currently receiving from her team ? Unfortunately no one but her healthcare team can advise what's right for your wife as this will calculated on her daily carb intake, weight and of course her pregnancy in mind. If you have concerns that she is not achieving her targets then your team should help her adjust her insulin to suit. Oranges contain fructose so will push her BG levels up, so it's important to be aware of foods that will spike her BG levels, just take care with fruit as people consider it to be healthy but for those watching their BG they can be a minefield. There are no side effects to insulin. I had gestational with my daughter and had no idea what was going on and felt like I was just given my insulin and told to get on with it, regardless, daughter was induced when I was 37 weeks and she was fine. Also to note that in the UK your units of measurements are different to ours as we record BG readings in mmol/L.

Your wife will be fine if she keeps a close eye on her BG levels and tries not to stress, she only has a few weeks to go now and ideally it's best that baby doesn't feed off high BG levels, so keep a good dialogue with your team and good luck.