Despite My Rough December, I’m Still ‘Non Diabetic’!

Margaretjamieson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your success! You must have really worked hard to turn things around - congratulations!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even NICE no longer recommend looking only at the total, in fact they haven't for some time. They recognise it is meaningless taken on its own. (If the HDL goes up the total will go up, so what good is it?) They are now supposed to look at the non-HDL (Total minus HDL) and this should be under 4. You are marginally over this, but not enough to cause even a blink.
When I asked if I could have have complete breakdowns after one set of results - I don't always get the full set - the dismissive reply was "You don't need those - it's only the Americans who bother with such things..." I was more than a little gobsmacked. :banghead:

And well done @Rachox - I wish I could say the same as you but any health or stress issues tend to really upset my diabetic applecart, usually just when I feel I've got things nicely under control.

Robbity

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I asked if I could have have complete breakdowns after one set of results - I don't always get the full set - the dismissive reply was "You don't need those - it's only the Americans who bother with such things..." I was more than a little gobsmacked. :banghead:

And well done @Rachox - I wish I could say the same as you but any health or stress issues tend to really upset my diabetic applecart, usually just when I feel I've got things nicely under control.

Robbity

Have you asked if you can register to get your results on line?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Laughing my socks off :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you asked if you can register to get your results on line?
I ask for and get a printout which is a complete list of blood test results as far as I know - I doubt that what I would see online will be any different unfortunately.

@Bluetit1802 - actually once I got over my surprise, I actually regularly have a good snigger about his comment too!

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25321
Just got my results on line from my blood test taken on Friday. Despite a chest infection, an operation and a steroid injection just before Xmas, which all contributed to raised blood sugars, my HbA1c is 35! :happy:
I believe my cholesterol results are better too, even though the total is the same. Can you cholesterol knowledgeable people confirm this so I can continue the anti-statin battle with my GP this Friday please?
Well done superstar and good luck on the statins battle.. remember you can say NO ! if you want to.
You Trig/HDL ratio has improved a lot but your doc may not be aware of its importance..

Reactions: Margaretjamieson

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done superstar and good luck on the statins battle.. remember you can say NO ! if you want to.
You Trig/HDL ratio has improved a lot but your doc may not be aware of its importance..

Thank you! Yes I will say no. I’ll try and keep it simple, point out good cholesterol is up and bad is down so as not blind him with science! ;)

Reactions: DJC3

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! Yes I will say no. I’ll try and keep it simple, point out good cholesterol is up and bad is down so as not blind him with science! ;)
Love it.. not blinding your doc with science!!! excellent

Reactions: DJC3

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 25321
Just got my results on line from my blood test taken on Friday. Despite a chest infection, an operation and a steroid injection just before Xmas, which all contributed to raised blood sugars, my HbA1c is 35! :happy:
I believe my cholesterol results are better too, even though the total is the same. Can you cholesterol knowledgeable people confirm this so I can continue the anti-statin battle with my GP this Friday please?

Congratulations Rachel. Really well done!
Are we going out to celebrate in an Eat As Much and Stuff Yourself All You Can Chinese Resto soon? I hope so! Loool !!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations Rachel. Really well done!
Are we going out to celebrate in an Eat As Much and Stuff Yourself All You Can Chinese Resto soon? I hope so! Loool !!!

Errrr... how shall I put this?...... No!!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great results, anyone would think the lab computer had been reading research papers on how lipid respond to low carb..... To increase HDL more you could try coconut oil or tinned coconut milk in carries. (Check the carbs, as some coconut milk is not low carb, and avoid the low-fat versions, as it just has added water.)

Whats your ALT and AST levels like?

Just been doing a bit of reading about coconut oil and MCTs. Thanks for the suggestion. It seems 30g per day can help cholesterol numbers. I’m going to try substituting 30g in my breakfast low carb coconut ‘porridge’ tomorrow in place of the 30g of butter the recipe calls for. May even enhance the flavour!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been doing a bit of reading about coconut oil and MCTs. Thanks for the suggestion. It seems 30g per day can help cholesterol numbers. I’m going to try substituting 30g in my breakfast low carb coconut ‘porridge’ tomorrow in place of the 30g of butter the recipe calls for. May even enhance the flavour!
I’ve been increasing my use of coconut oil rather than other oils because of what I read about it’s impact on increasing good cholesterol and not raising the bad stuff. Always now use it for cooking anything I find that it dosent change taste and use it for frying eggs or omelettes etc and taste is quite mild.. I’ll let you know what impact it has had if any ! When I go for my dreaded lipids next month.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been increasing my use of coconut oil rather than other oils because of what I read about it’s impact on increasing good cholesterol and not raising the bad stuff. Always now use it for cooking anything I find that it dosent change taste and use it for frying eggs or omelettes etc and taste is quite mild.. I’ll let you know what impact it has had if any ! When I go for my dreaded lipids next month.

I did wonder if it would flavour savoury foods at all. Might use it for my too omelettes then!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did wonder if it would flavour savoury foods at all. Might use it for my too omelettes then!
Worth trying I was surprised it does smell coconutty when fry but I can’t taste it - hope I’m equally surprised when do my cholesterol test!

Reactions: Rachox

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about trying coconut oil in that awesome choccy cake (you posted the link backalong)? But I digress. VERY WELL DONE @Rachox!! Fabulous result! :) Good luck with the 'battle' on Friday