Does low carb make you low mood

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I really miss Doughnuts...Warm ones, filled with Jam...
I also miss Pancakes with Golden syrup or Lemon and sugar......
oh well back on the Bread and water....
no wait I cannot have bread.....
back on the water.

All joking asaide. I focus on the end result, reducing HbA1c, losing weight, etc. It mostly helps. Th other thing I do is to try and find those luxury foods I can eat with wild abandon .
I miss fruit

Reactions: ixi1429

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.

mischief123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do miss my bread and potatos. I have just been naughty and had two chips off my husband's plate. I wish I could find something to replace bread so I could have a butty. However I have lost 2 stone and my sugar is lower than it has been for a some time. 4.5.

Reactions: phiddy55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading a lot of low carb and health books and rapeseed oil is one of the healthiest. I suppose olive oil would be better in this case but for cooking, rapeseed is now much better than sunflower or any other oil.
There are I believe two different types.. cold pressed rapeseed oil which is fairly expensive and canola oil which is made from rapeseed via an industrial process. I'm guessing that mass produced dressings will use the latter and its probably not great for us whereas the former may be. I should probably make my own with something like avocado oil but to be honest I don't have it very often so can;t be bothered. If however it was something I had regularly then I wouldn't have this.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
I do miss my bread and potatos. I have just been naughty and had two chips off my husband's plate. I wish I could find something to replace bread so I could have a butty. However I have lost 2 stone and my sugar is lower than it has been for a some time. 4.5.
Well done on the weight loss, Mischief. I have also lost just under 2 stone and my GP is really pleased with my HbA1c which is now 47. I think that equates to about 6.3. You have done very well to get down to 4.5. Are you on medication for your diabetes? I am on diet only to control mine. I never eat rice or pasta but I sometimes have a Mini Magnum and some dark chocolate.

Have you tried the Lidl protein rolls? They are quite solid and filling but I love the taste of them now I have got used to them. I have one for lunch now and again and they don't raise my bg levels like normal bread does.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
And creamy sauce and thick, thick yoghurt and guilt-free bacon and salad with limitless dressing and as-many-eggs-as-you-like omelettes with great handfuls of cheese and the good bit of the cheese cake without the crumby annoying base that no-one really likes anyway and super-tasty cuts of beef slow-roasted so all that lovely marbled fat soaks through the joint and makes it all super-moist and yummy and... and... and...

(And I'm SO sorry if you're veggie or vegan. Avocados?)
God, I miss meat! I became allergic to it about 18 months back. Lucky I adore flippin’ avocados, though :arghh:;)

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
For me it passed, then returned after about 11 months, at which point I announced "I want to eat a dozen iced doughnuts, smoke forty fags, and drink two bottles of wine". I didn't do it. *sigh* The feeling is one I continue to struggle with. Coming on here helps.
Are fags cigarettes?

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just can't shift this really heavy feeling.Fewl miserable and don't want to do anything.
I was low carbing and periodically became terribly tired and also a little down. I would take some salty bouillon and that helped but the problem would recur a few days later. It has taken me a while to realise that I needed to pre-empt these feelings by regularly taking more salt (and fluid). It is possible that your problems are similar. So if you are not having much salt at present try generously adding it regularly to meals. Also try drinking a good glass of water with every meal. I take a 300ml glass 4 times a day as the low carb diet makes you lose fluid. So far I have found this very helpful.
Incidentally I have found the perfect low carb snack!! The Real Pork Crackling company produce the most yummy pork crackkling. It is additive free and has 0.5g carb per packet but plenty of salt. I get them in Sainsbury’s. I take one with me to have after the gym or a on a walk to keep me salted up. They are very good for the mood too!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There are I believe two different types.. cold pressed rapeseed oil which is fairly expensive and canola oil which is made from rapeseed via an industrial process. I'm guessing that mass produced dressings will use the latter and its probably not great for us whereas the former may be. I should probably make my own with something like avocado oil but to be honest I don't have it very often so can;t be bothered. If however it was something I had regularly then I wouldn't have this.
After seeing what vegetable and sunflower oil did to my hob...butter and lard all the way now.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Incidentally I have found the perfect low carb snack!! The Real Pork Crackling company produce the most yummy pork crackkling. It is additive free and has 0.5g carb per packet but plenty of salt. I get them in Sainsbury’s. I take one with me to have after the gym or a on a walk to keep me salted up. They are very good for the mood too!

Have you seen / tried these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SNAFFLING-...qid=1519208754&sr=8-6&keywords=pork+crackling

They're a little on the expensive side, but it's proper crackling (not that weird puffy, empty stuff) and the flavours are really, really good - you can taste what it says they are, but they don't overwhelm the taste of the crackling, either.

I highly recommend.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I sometimes use a locally produced Welsh rapeseed oil, it’s cold pressed and not processed. It’s quite handy if I’m frying stuff at higher temperatures as it has a much higher flashpoint than olive oil. It’s useful when you want a flavourless oil. I sometimes add a little to butter when I’m frying with that, as it stops it from burning.

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen / tried these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SNAFFLING-...qid=1519208754&sr=8-6&keywords=pork+crackling

They're a little on the expensive side, but it's proper crackling (not that weird puffy, empty stuff) and the flavours are really, really good - you can taste what it says they are, but they don't overwhelm the taste of the crackling, either.

I highly recommend.

Thank you. It’s difficult to be sure but I think they contain Monosodium glutamate. What I like about the real pork crackling is that it has no additives.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I was low carbing and periodically became terribly tired and also a little down. I would take some salty bouillon and that helped but the problem would recur a few days later. It has taken me a while to realise that I needed to pre-empt these feelings by regularly taking more salt (and fluid). It is possible that your problems are similar. So if you are not having much salt at present try generously adding it regularly to meals. Also try drinking a good glass of water with every meal. I take a 300ml glass 4 times a day as the low carb diet makes you lose fluid. So far I have found this very helpful.
Thank you for your message I will keep it n mind.xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is rapeseed oil bad? We use it to cook and extra virgin olive oil to drizzle?
Depends on how it has been produced. Personally I would use butter or animal fat over anything from veg or seeds.
Olive being from a fruit should be ok like avocado oil.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Rapeseed oil is a good oil as far as I know I always use it for trying but only a spray I might add.