Fasting of 5.5 in non-diabetic toddler

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As you may remember I have had ongoing worries regarding my toddler for several months and the consensus was that I was overreacting, to put it mildly. I've left it all alone for a while but the last couple of weeks she has been really thirsty. Asking for a drink pretty well as soon as she has finished it. Waited to see if it was just a phase but she was constantly saying she wanted a drink yesterday so I took a fasting this morning and she is at 5.5 around 10 hours after nothing to eat.

That's high isn't it?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Isn't it? I thought they said under 5.4 for fasting, ideally below 5. Anything above that indicative of pre diabetes.
She's been drinking so much.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.5 is perfectly normal fasting blood sugar.

Please, please stop testing your daughter. It's so dangerously close to abusive behaviour.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes, I had been leaving it alone.

It was just the fact that she's been having a drink and saying immediately 'thirsty, more drink'
And also a couple of times she's been in the bath and been drinking the bath water, wringing the sponge out into her mouth.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.5 is perfectly normal fasting blood sugar.

Please, please stop testing your daughter. It's so dangerously close to abusive behaviour.
Abusive?! First time my mother tested me I was 5.1 second time I was above 25...

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Abusive?! First time my mother tested me I was 5.1 second time I was above 25...

It's because I've been worried about this for months and checked her previously that catapillar has said this.
But she's had some highish sugars before and the incessant drinking concerned me. I know toddlers go through phases but to constantly be asking for drinks and drinking water from the bath seemed to be a level up on what's normal.

D

Deleted Account

Isn't it? I thought they said under 5.4 for fasting, ideally below 5. Anything above that indicative of pre diabetes.
Under 5.4 is normal but we are not all normal and our meters are not accurate: 5.5 could be 5.2.
A reading of 5.5 is definitely nothing to worry about.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ExtremelyW0rried: your toddler is non-diabetic. You say so in your title thread. I can't remember from your previous thread if you have actually taken her to the gp - if so, what was the result and what did they say? If she's been drinking the bath water 'a couple of times' are you perhaps using a bath soap/shampoo/foam with a fruity flavour? Some of them have a very 'edible' scent. But please just stop worrying and most of all please stop testing her until you have absolute and incontrovertible proof FROM HER DOCTOR that she has diabetes, otherwise you will be giving her a fear of needles for no reason at all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There could be many reasons for a child being thirsty. What type of drinks are you giving her?

If you are concerned about her thirst, take her to the GP.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when my kids were little (I think your daughter is about 2 year old?) they were all about eating the bubbles and sucking the sponge and stuff like that in the bath. its part of the "everything in the mouth" stage. If she is teething and dribbling, she needs more fluids because she is losing them in her dribble.

Unless she is soaking a lot of nappies, with dark urine, she is not dehydrated from trying to get rid of high blood sugars.

Maybe you have forgotten some of this stage with your son as you werent anxious about diabetes then.

Dark Horse

Your daughter's fasting blood glucose levels are fine. If you are worried that being thirsty may indicate that she has developed diabetes, get some urine dipsticks. Thirst due to diabetes occurs because glucose is spilling over from the blood into the urine and dragging water with it by osmosis. If the urine dipstick is negative for glucose, it means that the thirst is not due to diabetes. There is no need to do a finger prick just because your daughter seems thirsty.