Fluoxetine

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi.
Has anyone had experience with this anti-depressent. Just been prescribed it by doctor for depression as been off work for six months with post surgery complications. Consultant has told me that healing is going to be a long road and couldn't give any indication of how long it would be before I can go back to work. It's just been one thing after another which has dragged me down to the point I'm currently at. How did you cope with it and what, if any were side effects. Thanks Colin.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @buffyiscool!
I am on fluoxetine (prozac). It does take a few weeks to build up in your body. It generally takes me around 6-8 weeks before it takes effect and I feel better. If you aren't starting to feel better after 5-6 weeks you need to speak to your GP. You might need to change dose, or go onto another anti-depressant. Some ads work for some people, but not for others.
Some people experience side effects, and others don't - if you do again you need to speak to your GP.

I have found it is good for me, and I am staying on it permanently now. I used to come off ads once I started feeling better, but my depression would return, after ever shortening periods. And the period of bleak dark thoughts and sleeplessness and other symptoms were so awful, I couldn't face another 6-8 weeks before the fluoxetine kicked in.

If you want to ask anything more about it, feel free.

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As Prem said, it takes about 6 weeks to build up in your system. Did your GP also refer you for talking therapy? I just want to wish you luck as depression is not an easy illness. Good luck

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Prem51 and @NaijaChick
Thank you both for your comments. Doctor has classified it as Moderate Depression and said that if needed the option for talking therapy was always there. At the minute I don't think I'm at the point of needing that, just needed something to boost my mood a bit. Will wait and see how the meds work. Thanks again and regards to you both, Colin

Reactions: Prem51

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take fluoxetine as part of complex mental health issues. I only take it every other day as it can lead to manic phases in some patients.

It's one of the older anti-depressants and like most in the same group it does take a few weeks to build into your system. The only side effect I find from it is that it can give me elevated temperature leading to night sweats

Good luck with it

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My son has been taking it for a year, with no side effects. It has really helped. There are a lot of studies supporting supplements to help as well . He takes folic acid, magnesium and omega 3. His psychiatrist is fully supportive of that. Good luck!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on fluoxetine, but it was before I was diagnosed diabetic, so I don't know what it does to blood sugars. I came off shortly after my diagnosis because the depression had gone. (Either coincidence, better blood sugars or starting to take vitamin D on prescription because I was deficient). The fluoxetine helped a bit with the depression, but for me the main side-effects were no joy in sex anymore and it being impossible to come. Very happy both returned after a few weeks of not taking fluoxetine anymore. Very nasty side-effect. And I got more sensitive to light and I got different pupils, which quite bothered me. No idea why it bothered me though. Good luck, and I hope you'll start to feel better soon and won't get any side-effects!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh I forgot. One side effect I did get when I started present course of medication was that I did get anxiety for first 2-3 weeks, but it did pass.

Reactions: buffyiscool

rolypolypudding

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi.
Has anyone had experience with this anti-depressent. Just been prescribed it by doctor for depression as been off work for six months with post surgery complications. Consultant has told me that healing is going to be a long road and couldn't give any indication of how long it would be before I can go back to work. It's just been one thing after another which has dragged me down to the point I'm currently at. How did you cope with it and what, if any were side effects. Thanks Colin.

I'm on Sertraline which is from the same group of meds as you are on. It took me about 6-8 weeks to notice any improvement. Even now, there are still some days when it's really hard to keep going, but not as many as before the medication took effect. And depression really causes me to hit the carbs with a vengeance because its comfort food.
I really hope you're feeling better soon, but make sure you go back to your doctor if the meds are not working for you.
Cognitive behavioural therapy [CBT] can help with identifying strategies to cope with the low moods. You might want to visit the MIND website for more onfo on all the different types of treatment available.

nellybell96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on Citalopram and my doctor changed me to Fluoxetine,I only suffer from mild depression,but being Diabetic type 2
and suffering from Neuropathy and I felt the Citalopram was keeping the pain at bay but after her changing my tablets
the Neuropathy returned with a vengeance so after a week or two on Fluoxetine I took it upon myself to go back on to
Citalopram, but I am still suffering the pain and probably will for some time until the Fluoxetine is out of my system,
now Fluoxetine may suit some but not all,plus it doesn't give you a nights sleep,far from it I lie awake for hours watching
the clock and I'm very tired throughout the day.

Marferret

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type 2 and have been on Fluoxetine for a few years now. I've found it works really well for me.

The diabetes itself made me depressed at the start, and I'm still prone to depression if I get very stressed, or over Winter when it's so dark and it's not tempting to go out for a walk as the weather is cold and rainy. I'm on a holding dose of one tablet, and if I begin to feel low I go to my GP or speak to my diabetes nurse and my dose is increased to 2 tablets a day.

It does take a few weeks to kick in, and when I'm reducing the dose I wind it down really slowly, over a couple of months, as advised by my GP. I'm currently on the 2 tablet dose, and feeling very well.

I've had a tendency to have mood swings throughout my life, and my GP gave me a good tip to see if I'm getting over - happy. He says to rate your happiness level on a scale of 1 to 10, and if you go beyond 8 or so to go and talk to them again. Being madly over-happy isn't right for people either.

I lnow Fluoxetine doesn't work for everyone, but it's been really wonderful for me. At the moment I feel calm and reasonably happy (but not off the scale !) and I'll be starting to wind down the dosage again after a stressful event I've got coming up has passed.

All good wishes to you. I know how hard this all is.

AlwaysWinter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I’ve been on Fluoexetine for several years and it’s helped me not fall apart. I’d rather take the side effects than be as unwell as I was before going on them.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Prem51 and @NaijaChick
Thank you both for your comments. Doctor has classified it as Moderate Depression and said that if needed the option for talking therapy was always there. At the minute I don't think I'm at the point of needing that, just needed something to boost my mood a bit. Will wait and see how the meds work. Thanks again and regards to you both, Colin

Here's the thing about NHS talking therapies in the UK that your GP probably didn't tell you: the waiting lists are monstrous and if you walked into your surgery tomorrow and said "I really need to talk to someone about this" it could be as long as 6 or 7 months before your referral rose to the top of the pile.

You might not feel like it now, but it's certainly a wise step to get ahead of the waiting game and start the referral process right away. The chances are, your local Mental Health Team will contact you to assess you (happens over the phone here in the South West, don't know about other areas of the UK) and let you know more about what options are available and what kind of waiting times you're facing.

There's nothing worse than acknowledging you're ready to start talking therapy and being told there's a wait of months ahead of you.

In the meantime, there might also be some kind of group therapy available (like a facilitated support group) in your area. They're often tailored to generalised groups - new mums, struggling teens and so on. You might find that there's either a men-only group or a post-medical group that you can access relatively quickly.

While whatever happens in group might not be of direct benefit to your depression, having a place to go, where your problems and feelings are appropriate and accepted,and being able to start building a network of people who have similar experiences might well be of benefit, particularly as it sounds like you enjoy your job and miss feeling busy.

If you can, fill up your time with a regular schedule (not necessarily a busy one): anti-depressants work best in concert with other measures. And at least ask about talking / group therapy options so you have an idea of how long you'll have to wait should you ever feel the need to talk to someone.

In the meantime, hold fast. AS others have said, it takes time to kick in, and you might get some odd side-effects along the way. You're far from alone, though, and you are going to be okay.

Much love,

Sock xx

buffyiscool

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for all the comments guys, and gals, Much appreciated. Best regards to you all. Colin.