1 week in.....

dectjoh

Diagnosed Type 1 a week ago - still trying to get my head around it - horrible hypo today - not doing so good emotionally .... :(

Anyone able to say something to make me feel a little bit better?

Tracy

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
If it helps at all, I got diagnosed roughly a month back and we all gooo through the same stage, i struggle emotionally but as time goes by you'll come around, a month on I still feel like an outsider to everyone being diabetic and I get awfully disappointed when I score high or go into a hypo mode.

It is one big long learning curve but you've got company and we can fight through this together if you want. Im here for you!

Catherine_h

Hi

I was diagnosed 18 month ago and remember exactly how you feel but it will get better!

I am now feeling well and confident again, just take things a step at a time and ask as many questions as you need!

Catherine xxx

Hazza

Daughter was diagnosed 6 months ago and it felt like the end of the world. After a while it becomes easier, and the more you learn the better you cope with the highs and lows. We still have our off days but they are getting fewer and seem easier to deal with.
Stick in there, you will learn to deal with all sorts of problems and eventually they become smaller and easier to fix.

Harry

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I second Catherine and Harry,

I was diagnosed about 18 months ago too and the first 6 months were probably the worst.
The learning curve is insane but you can beat it and you will eventually find a system that works for you, just take it a day at a time for now.

Some useful resources that I found invaluable when I was still getting to grips.
- This forum, invaluable for realising I wasn't alone
- The Bournemouth Diabetes & Endocrine Centre website (http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/) my wife found this for me and it set me down the path of carb counting. Worth a read since you can dip in and out.
- My DSN. I was lucky enough that my DSN is available via Email so I could ask questions easily enough.

Good luck Tracy, I promise it does get easier :)

Andy

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya ,
just to say im six and half yrs in now and honestly it does get better, its early days so try not to worry, have a good read of the forum and ask as many questions as u need :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Tracey! :)

All gets easier in time I can assure you, although diabetes is a life-long condition and at the start it can be bewildering it does get better once you grasp the process of matching your insulin to the food you eat. Keep in regular contact with your diabetes care team and don't be afraid to ask questions regarding your diabetes, after all that is what they are there for to provide help and support throughout your life, also feel free to come on here ask any questions you like, but do keep in mind that we are not experts and can only offer advice based on our own knowledge and experiences.

Best wishes!

Nigel

dectjoh

Thanks for your replies and offers of help. They mean a lot. The diagnosis was a shock in itself however what shocked me more was how sick I was and didn't really know it. I had lost two stone in 6 weeks which was obviously wrong (I dropped to 8st so I wasn't huge to start with) and was seriously thirsty in the evenings. When I went to the doctor my blood ketone level was nearly 6, he sent me straight to the Diabetes Unit and they gave me insulin there and then. I flew off to Ireland for New Year the next day with all sorts of kit I didn't really understand and basically slept, cried and injected insulin for the next five days. I hurt everywhere - is this normal? I'm off work at the moment which helps with all the appointments I have lined up! Not sure how long I'll be off for - any ideas from anyone with a similar start to the whole thing as me? Tracy

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do mention the pain to your diabetes team if you haven't already, but personally I wouldn't be too worried, it might just be something that goes away one your blood sugar levels are OK.

Catherine_h

Tracey

As for taking time off work, you need to take as much time as YOU need, we are all different! what is important now is your health and getting yourself feeling normal again!

Whilst I love my job, since being diagnosed I have realised there is much more to life than work!

Yes, you need to get back to work and normal life but you need to come to terms with the shock of your diagnoses first!

Listen to you body and go back when you are ready!

Catherine